FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » New Tikis from Germany!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
New Tikis from Germany!
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-18 10:50 am   Permalink

Aloha Haikai!!! Now that is one sweet looking tiki you've got going my friend,keep up the nice work,Aloha Mooney

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-18 1:09 pm   Permalink

Great detail Haikai! The coloring of the cherry wood is sweet. How long has that taken to carve?

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-18 1:28 pm   Permalink

Absolutely Amazing my friend. wow wow wow.

I saw the pix of the basel and I'm very happy now to see some pix of your work that is always fantastic.
I'm happy to learn you've met Alex. He's very a very very nice guy. I unfortunately couldn't come to Basel to meet you and Alex but I'm sure I will be able to come another day.

Hope everything's fine for you,

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-18 1:57 pm   Permalink

HaiKai, How do you make it look Easy. What do you have so far, 20 hours in it? I Really Love the Lines in the head and headdress, thay all flow beautifully!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-19 08:04 am   Permalink

aloha Haikai - thats a great start to yet another masterpiece from you - we need to see more pics from you!

Love the lines and details going into this one already.

cheers,
harro.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-19 09:16 am   Permalink

Hey friends,

I just came back home from the HofbräuHaus at Munich.
The sun is shining, the spring is coming and than I am reading your nice words.
I realy feel good now. Thanks for your entries! Your comments are realy important for me.

So, cheers to Tahitiki, MooneyTiki, Tikilizard, benella, Benzart and harro!

Tikilizard, yes you are right! The coloring of the cherry wood is very nice. I will post a pic of the finished tiki,
when I have oiled the wood. Than the color will comes out much more.

benella, I am also looking forward to meet you in personal. It couldn´t be a big problem! Paris is only 7 hours away by car from my hometown.
In a contry like the US it is only a little excursion.
I will check out, if there is a chance to take part at an exhibition or festival in France. I would be very interesting! And I have also to visit your beautiful town once again!

Benzart, thanks for your compliment, but it was not really easy for me. That´s my first KU and I put a long time in it to control,
where I have to placing the right forms. It´s great to have a new challenge, so you are always much more motivated in the piece.
But you are the master and know it!. Fortunately I only need 11 hours till now.

harro, I will try to finish the KU in the next 1 or 2 weeks and so I will post the next pictures for you.

Thank you all for inspiring me and for the possibility to take part on such a beautiful tribe,

Kai

View Profile of haikai Send a personal message to haikai  Email haikai Goto the website of haikai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-19 09:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-19 09:16, haikai wrote:

I will check out, if there is a chance to take part at an exhibition or festival in France. I would be very interesting! And I have also to visit your beautiful town once again!

My friend, I hope your chisels and hammers are all well packed in your car with some wood because there will perhaps be a chance to make it because Paris offers lots of things to do it. I will search each track to make it possible !

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 10:27 am   Permalink

Hi guys,

thanks a lot benella. That sounds realy good. If you know an event or someting like that,
which could make it possible, so please let me know.

Here I have some of my first test pics for you. I want to create a pendant serial out of an avocado nuts.
It worked well and I carved this little fellows. Mr. Monkey Man and Little Moai
They still change their color, during the drying.

Servus, Kai

View Profile of haikai Send a personal message to haikai  Email haikai Goto the website of haikai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 10:38 pm   Permalink

Kia ora Haikai - Did I read that right? Avacado seeds/nuts?? What a cool idea! Please keep us informed of how they fare with drying - if they prove sturdy enough I might have a go myself. Perhaps a varnish would help protect them once dried..?

That Ku is the bomb too! Are you sure your G.Grandfather wasnt of Hawaiian bloodlines..?

Herzlichen Glückwunsch!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 01:54 am   Permalink

A cherry Ku? You must have arms like a gorilla to carve cherry-wood. Very nice work!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 06:47 am   Permalink

Alooohaaa!

Thanks Tamapoutini and pappythesailor for your nice words on the cherry-wood KU.
That´s right, cherry-wood is normaly very hard, but it´s like butter in my gorilla hands.
No, I prepared my chisels very well and gave them an exact grinding. So, it works very good.
My experience is that you can work very rich in detail with such a hard wood.

Tamapoutini, oh yes, that would be cool, if my G.Grandfather was of Hawaiian bloodlines.
So I could visit him always in my holidays.

My avocado seeds/nuts update:
That´s the avocado seed with his paring. You have to abscise it.

So you get the real seed, which you can carve with a normal knife. Mostly the seed have two halves.
Here you can also see the different colors. First the seed is very light and after carving it´ll get dark parts.

Here are my latest two avocado carvings. First I´ll let them dry and than I try to grind them.
For the finish I´ll polish them with wax. I think it could be very pretty.

Here are the two fellows I carved yesterday. They don´t change their colors anymore.
But they dry in 2 - 3 days and get very hard realy like wood. That´s a cool way to carve small things.

I´m looking forward to show you the first "Original Haikai Avocado Collection"

Aloha to all of you, Kai

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 06:56 am   Permalink

Haikai,

Let me second what Tama has said...your carving on these seeds is very cool indeed! Your work always blows me away!

Thanks for posting your progress pictures.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 04:36 am   Permalink

Thanks Babalu! It´s a funny and interesting thing to carve with avocado seeds. I will make some more tests and keep you up with some pictures. At the moment the seeds are dry. They shrunk a little bit but they are hard now and look like wood. Perhaps it would be a way to create little shrunken heads!

Cheers, Kai

AKUAE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-05 2:11 pm   Permalink

Hello Haikai,
you are a great Nussknacker
i love to see news from you
your stuff rocks
greets from Alsace

Alex

View Profile of AKUAE Send a personal message to AKUAE  Goto the website of AKUAE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-05 2:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-05 14:11, AKUAE wrote:
Hello Haikai,
you are a great Nussknacker..

phew! its ok; it means 'nutcracker'.. (sounded like an insult)

How're those Avacado-Aku-Aku's holding up Haikai?

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation