FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » New Tikis from Germany!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
New Tikis from Germany!
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-05 2:51 pm   Permalink

I was wondering the same thing, how are they holding up? Did they warp after they dried? The idea of carving them is really intriguing.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-05 4:53 pm   Permalink

Wow, very cool! Can you stain them???

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 01:55 am   Permalink

Hey Akuae, Tama, JohnnyP and surfintiki!

Thanks for your entries. Sadly, I haven´t carved new avocado tikis yet.
I´m still working on our new Forbidden Paradise website and on a time-consuming piece
for the Hukilau Artshow. More about that next week!

Now the avocado figures are realy hard like oak- or cherry- wood.
In front of they level off and in the back they warp a little bit.
There is now a little recess, but I think it doesn´t matter.

Cause the seeds are now hard, you can grind them very well and I also think you can definitely
stain them. Perhaps I can make some new tests next week.

Kai

I already started with the grinding at the little Moai.

View Profile of haikai Send a personal message to haikai  Email haikai Goto the website of haikai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 5:18 pm   Permalink

I like! that little detail work is tough. How
do you do that.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 01:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

I already started with the grinding at the little Moai.

I thought they looked quite cool they way they were (with the miniture 'tooled' look), but its interesting to hear that they can be reworked once dry. What tool are you using to grind them?

Im sure we've eaten at least a couple since you first posted these guys but I keep forgetting to save the stones..

'Wer den Kern essen will, muss die Nuss knacken.' *Maybe you will become the worlds' greatest nut-carver some day!?

Lovely work as always.

T

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MarkusK
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-13 02:39 am   Permalink

Great work haikai! Now I finally know how to spend the boring evenings in my hotel room during the work week: Eating guacamole and carving the avocado seeds later ;o) Sweet!

Viele Grüße,
MarkusK

View Profile of MarkusK Send a personal message to MarkusK      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-13 05:13 am   Permalink

Cool stuff Haikai, I didn't know Avacodo seeds were carvable? Have you ever done this before?
LEt us know how they dry out.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 08:18 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Puhh! That was a realy busy week and I worked every day till eary in the morning.
But now I fortunately finished my latest piece for the "Fine Art Tiki" artshow during
the Hukilau festival and the Harold Golen Gallery.

I created an 31 x 8 x 8 inches wooden display cabinet, which I called "The Forbidden Paradise".
A mystical and adorable Polynesian diorama with many details, tikis, figures, plants .....
and much more. But see yourself!

The "The Forbidden Paradise" display cabinet will be shown during the Hukilau form June 12th to 15th
at the Yankee Clipper Hotel in Fort Lauderdale / Florida.
Then it will be shown from June 16th to July 12th at the Harold Golen Gallery /314 N W 24th street in Miami / Florida.

I would be very happy if some of you will visit the artshow and give me some feedback to my work.
Perhaps, somebody could make pics of the show.

For more information visit:
haroldgolengallery.com
thehukilau.com

Now, I will spend some days on water and make a boat trip in the north of Germany.
I will relax a little bit and brood about a new project!

Here I proudly present the "The Forbidden Paradise" display cabinet:

First you can see the whole cabinet with the carved relief on the top and the stilts.

At the relief you can see the tiki god protecting the vulnerable and occult paradise with his shields and the wisdom of the ocean.

The skull eyes are out of bone!

"Forbidden Paradise" from different views!

The shack of the inhabitants!

The tree house and the rope bridge!

The tiki figures of the cabinet!

The inhabitants!

The plants!

And if the blue night is comming, turn on the lights!

Feel good at the "Forbidden Paradise" and follow your dreams.
Good night!

Haikai

Tama, seeksurf, MarkusK and Benzart thanks for your entries. The avocado update will follow soon.
Than I will have some news and give you an answer to your questions.
Hat´s of to your work!

View Profile of haikai Send a personal message to haikai  Email haikai Goto the website of haikai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 08:40 am   Permalink

HaiKai, What an Incredible piece Your Forbidden Paradise took a Lot of imagination and skill to work out and put it all together. I Love the little people, the tikis, Even a Rootball tiki and then, THEN, you turn on the lights for Added Drama. This is really a Top Shelf Show Stopper. Congratulations!
I will Definitely check it ouit in person and take lots of photos.
HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-05-17 09:59 am   Permalink

HOLY MACKEREL!!!! That TOTALLY kicks some serious ass!!!!!

Excellent! Awesome! Incredible! etc, etc.

GROG wish GROG could see it in person, but GROG can't make it to Hukilau.

Keep up the great work.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King-bilt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-17 10:25 am   Permalink

Simple amazing !!!! The cabinet carvings by itself is insane but coupled with the details of the Polynesian Paradise makes this bonkers. Your eyes really get lost admiring this piece. Great work, and thanks for the post...

View Profile of King-bilt Send a personal message to King-bilt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 10:26 am   Permalink

Wow! Can't wait to see the whole thing. Beyond excellent!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 2:13 pm   Permalink

Great work Haikai, one of the coolest pieces ever, along with your
"Voodoo Box" from a while back.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 2:28 pm   Permalink

ho.... sh!!!!!!!t! nice!!... some day I'll scan my old (1 hr. fast photo) Kodak pics of an 18 year old school project.... Cabana Ritmo! Afro Cuban Hut with little, lit tiki torches & marque, Bamboo beams.... Back then I paid myself with student loans to make great art like this! maybe I should take out another loan and get to getting... GREAT WORK!
for now the characters are found in the shrunken head case here in quick-time vr:
http://biffinc.com/CrazyAl10yrVR/CrazyAl50.mov

My grand father made miniatures for museums of the pueblo Indian runes of the American South West. He used them in his 'moving picture' documentaries. He also used footage he shot on summer trips down rout 66 from Chicago Cir. 1940-50s. (the titles where shot by stop animation and little ceramic letters laid down on felt) OLD SCHOOL IS GOOOOD!! once again Great Work!

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2008-05-17 14:31 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 2:42 pm   Permalink

WOW. Very impressive attention to detail. A true work of Art!

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation