FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New Tikis from Germany!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
New Tikis from Germany!
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-14 10:15 am   Permalink

great stuff, haikai! i gotta get one of those pendants. let me know. bullet

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-07-14 6:05 pm   Permalink

Your stuff keeps getting better and better - keep up the good work

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-17 08:31 am   Permalink

Thank you very much kingstiedye!
I hope you are fine and the little framed shrunken head too.
Im happy that you like the pendants.
Look only on my homepage and let me know which one you prefer.

Or look to the TC marketplace
Here where I sell some necklaces, too. greetings!

Hey marcus, thanks!
I dont know if you remember! I have ask you in your own post, what kind of grey stuff you use for the black grounding! I think its ash! Is it right?

2 month ago I carved a birthday Tiki mask for my brother. It was my first try to carve only with chisels, but sadly I used the wrong wood. Spruce wood is not good for carving pattern.

For the finish I rubed it with charcoal and I think it looked realy cool.
The downs has been very dark, but after that if I collored the mask with rosewood glaze the shading was gone.
I think the color was too dark! Have you any tip for me to do this better? Mahalo, Kai

Here are some pics of the mask:

View Profile of haikai Send a personal message to haikai  Email haikai Goto the website of haikai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-20 02:38 am   Permalink

Aloha everyone,

in the last few days I tried out to carve new finer forms and so I started to create a Tiki god with a bloom crown. I use to apply some marquesan parts.

Im not sure, but I think the 3.28 foot log is from cottonwood.
Its very soft and easy to carve.

For the first, I finished with the basic form of the crown, the eyes and the nose.
Sadly, I have done a little disfigurement, because I think the eyes could be bigger. There is a little bit to much space between eyes and nose.

Whatever, now I will go outside and create the mouth in proper style.
After carving the Tiki I consider to dye it with some different natural colors.
So, see you later on TC, if I have some new pictures for you.
Mahalo, Kai

View Profile of haikai Send a personal message to haikai  Email haikai Goto the website of haikai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-20 04:01 am   Permalink

Wow! That's gonna rock! Nice carve.

Mahalo

Mc

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-20 04:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-20 02:38, haikai wrote:

Do you work as a monumental mason? It looks like a tombstone factory behind that log....
Nice tiki too, I really like the boldness of the eyes and crown.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-21 10:41 am   Permalink

Man, you do good work. Keeps getting better and better.. I've always liked the classic, vintage feel of your creations. Looks like mid-century stuff.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 04:05 am   Permalink

Thanks McTiki! I have seen your back yard with the wild Tikis.
Great work and I also realy like the docoration with the coconuts.
Looks pretty cool!

Hey Paipo, sorry for the late response and thanks for your entry.
No, Im not a monumental mason! But you are right, in the neighborhood is a tombstone factory and they lair their stones in our yard. The guys are very nice and help me always with their forklift.
Befor I try to create Tikis from stone, I exercise me more in carving wood.
Its not so hard and heavy. So, respect for your beautiful and clean work!

Aloha BK, thank you for the great accolade. I always follow your posts on TC and admire your awesome work. Also, thanks for gives me many inspiration and the incentive to try out more.

So, now I have a few new pictures of the bloom crown Tiki for you.
I created the mouth and back of the figure and finshed the carving.
I try to carve some pattern and frets to give the Tiki some more interesting structures.

Now, I think about the colors. How should I do that? I want to use tree colors. (black, white and red)
I want to squelched some natural materials like ash, chalk and clay and try to mix them with oil.
O.K. befor I color the Tiki I must do some tests. I check it out and than I will post more pictures.

Here are the last pics of the bloom crown god:

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 04:40 am   Permalink

Yeah, all that granite...it can only mean one thing! I used to deal with my local mason regularly to get pieces etched and sandblasted until I got my own air compressor set up.

Nice update on your latest guy - I think some contrasting colours will work well with the range of techniques you've used on him. BK is right - these have a great retro vibe to them. Drop me a PM whenever you're ready to start stone carving!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 04:53 am   Permalink

Wow! That is fantastic! The eyes are great (as are the curls, head, base, mouth, nose, and the rest of it). If I send you some stamps will you send this one to me in Florida?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 08:54 am   Permalink

Thanks Paipo! Its a great deal with your local mason.
I think an own air compressor set up sould be very expensive, or?

If Ill have the heart to carve anytime in stone, so Ill let you know.
I think thats so hard to do.

Hey GMAN, thanks for your words. I have seen the pictures from your accident at your TC post.
Shit, the cicatrice looks like you must be killed. Crazy GMAN!
I hope you feel now better! I have also seen your last maori pendant.
Its a wonderful piece of work! Great, keep up the beautiful work!

In terms of the Tiki! Are you sure, you have the heart to own this guy?
Hes a real bavarian Tiki god with amazing vires.
He is very, very dangerous! After Ill finished the Tiki Ill part with him.

O.K. Here are my first color tests! I have squelched chalk to get white powder, red-brick to get red (orange) powder and in the end charcoal for the black powder.

Than I separately mixed the powders with a little bit of oil and stirred them accurately. I painted all three colours on a pice of wood of the same log.
The red and black color worked very well, but when you mix chalk with oil it will get dirty grey.
So, I mixed the chalk powder with water. Great, you get a realy white color but its difficult to coat
over the oil colores. When Ill color the Tiki, I must omit the white sites.

After all, I need something to fix the colores, because they aspirate not complete into the wood.
But what? So, Ill search something! Mahalo, Kai

Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 11:33 am   Permalink

Truly amazing stuff here, Haikai. You can go from one extreme to the other-from the tiniest to the tallset. Good luck with your coloring project, can't wait to see how it turns out---keep posting--I'll keep looking!

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 8:18 pm   Permalink

good GOOD work man. i really like the eyes and teeth. i only hope to become that good in the future. keep em comming

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 9:42 pm   Permalink

Man you keep raising the bar. Looks fantastic!!!

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-26 05:33 am   Permalink

Haikai, I Really Love this last carving with the Spiral inspired headdress. the whole tiki is very nice but that headdress really sets it off. Thanks too for your Color lesson, I am really impressed with your technique and may try the red on my next MAori piece.
HappyHappyHappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation