[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Mug Patents
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Mug Patents
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 07:05 am   Permalink

One of my big questions about tiki mugs has always been copyright-related. How is it we can see the same designs appear not only for different restaurants but from different companies? I figured the most obvious answer is because no one cared; there were no design patents.(?) Maybe. So I've been spending some time at the (on-line) U.S. Patent Office. Surely, this is one of the best uses of my tax dollars I've found so far.

So I started poking around. It's pretty time consuming because all patents given before 1975 aren't searchable by title and the categories are very open to interpretation. But all you need is a mouse, one working finger and nothing to do.

After two zillion mouse clicks, I found very few patents but those I did find were only for a few years. Maybe the simple reason all these mug designs reappeared and continue to appear from places like Dynasty Wholesale is because they're in the public domain. I don't know too much about patent law (nothing, really) and even less about Japanese patent law so I dunno if this means anything.

Anyway, I did find some cool patents. Who designed the first skull mug? 50 bonus points if you guess the year.

Click
HERE for the answer.

If there's any interest in this, I'll post more.

[ This Message was edited by: pappythesailor 2005-11-16 07:06 ]

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 07:16 am   Permalink

fricken sweet!

that rendering is beautiful too.

keep em coming!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-11-16 07:18 am   Permalink

That is really cool! I say keep posting more.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 07:35 am   Permalink

Great detective work Pappy!!!
I second Martiki...post some more

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa Goto the website of Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Rod Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 08:54 am   Permalink

1939 WoW, These guys were so ahead of the "pack" it makes you wonder how bad ass they would be today with all the resources available.

Great work Pappy!!

View Profile of Hot Rod Tiki Send a personal message to Hot Rod Tiki  Email Hot Rod Tiki Goto the website of Hot Rod Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 09:10 am   Permalink

most places back in the day were content to have any mug with their name on it, not necessarily a custom signature mug...just cause the same looking mug had a different name on it doesn't mean each bar claimed the mug is theirs...for example, suppose tiki farm took one of the mugs they designed and copyrighted, sent out a letter to all tiki bars saying hey, we have this cool mug...if you want some, we can put your bars name on it and you can buy a bunch for your bar....next thing you know, several bars want the mug, they all get their own bars name on it and viola!!..this is exactly what happened years ago with otagiri, daga, orchids, dynasty, etc.....it was cheaper to do it that way, but tiki bars made big bucks back then and it was worth the publicity and the money to shell out to have a custom mug made. the above mentioned companys probably hold the copyrights for their line of mugs, and the individual bars with signature mugs probably hold the copyright for theirs though they may liscense the use of it to the company that produced it...much like tiki farm won't just produce a mug for an artist for that artist to sell on his own as he/she sees fit, without also including a clause in which they can also sell said mug...they are not fools, and know that there is money to made from artists designs....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 09:22 am   Permalink

Nice job Pappy! The online Patent database is amazing - but very difficult to search... It really does take unlimited time to find what you are looking for. I've found some really neat dark ride & amusement park vehicle designs from the turn of the century - but only by shear luck...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 10:10 am   Permalink

Thanks very much for posting this, very, very cool!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 2:02 pm   Permalink

Glad you guys are receptive.

Here's what good ol' Trader Vic had to say about his mug:

"To whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, Victor J. Bergeron, a citizen of the United States and a resident of the city of Oakland, county of Alameda, state of California, have invented a new, original, and ornamental Design for a Mug, of which the following is a specification, reference being had to the accompanying drawing, forming part thereof.
Figure 1 is a front elevational view of the mug showing my design.
Figure 2 is a side elevational view.
Figure 3 is a top plan view.
Figure 4 is a vertical sectional view taken on line 4-4 of figure 1.
I claim:
The ornamental design for a mug substantially as shown.
VICTOR J. BERGERON"

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 2:08 pm   Permalink

Here's two views of Vic's Vicious Virgin mug.

ONE

TWO

Dr. Shocker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 2:16 pm   Permalink

These Rock.....

View Profile of Dr. Shocker Send a personal message to Dr. Shocker  Goto the website of Dr. Shocker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 6:20 pm   Permalink

Here's the "martiki" glass on page 95 of the BOT.

See it!

tiki junkman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-16 8:17 pm   Permalink

Such an interesting topic. Keep em coming!

tj

View Profile of tiki junkman Send a personal message to tiki junkman  Email tiki junkman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nightmaretony
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-16 8:32 pm   Permalink

Tangaroa: VERY kewl, got a bunch as well for amusement park rides. Found a book listing a ton of ride patents, will have to key them in someday. Are you an ACE member, by any chance?

View Profile of Nightmaretony Send a personal message to Nightmaretony  Email Nightmaretony Goto the website of Nightmaretony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 08:29 am   Permalink

Holy Smokes! It really is the Mai Kai's decanter.

See it!

Not a tiki mug--more like a lotion bottle.

See it!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation