FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ Old Tiki Found in Mar Vista, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Old Tiki Found in Mar Vista, CA
tikisuz

Posted: 2006-04-24 8:42 pm   Permalink

Hi all, I feel like I should let you know that they have trimmed the hedge that used to obscure the tiki (I always knew it was there, but figured that everyone knew...I mean, it's a pretty big tiki....Then again, I walk alot)and you have a great view of it now from the street. I am keeping an eye on it because that same bowling alley took down the beautiful googie sign that stood for years and replaced it with the very bland and ugly sign that hangs there now. I fear that they may be up to no good with the tiki.

But it is a very popular and busy place, so I may be paranoid. If you do go and bowl - mention that you were attracted by the tiki!

[ This Message was edited by: tikisuz 2006-04-24 20:43 ]

View Profile of tikisuz Send a personal message to tikisuz  Email tikisuz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 11:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-24 20:42, tikisuz wrote:
Hi all, I feel like I should let you know that they have trimmed the hedge that used to obscure the tiki .... I am keeping an eye on it because that same bowling alley took down the beautiful googie sign that stood for years and replaced it with the very bland and ugly sign that hangs there now. I fear that they may be up to no good with the tiki.

Photos, please! Thank yooooou!

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
touchythetiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-25 09:05 am   Permalink

dernit, cant get the pictures to open on my comp

View Profile of touchythetiki Send a personal message to touchythetiki  Email touchythetiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-04-25 09:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-25 09:05, touchythetiki wrote:
dernit, cant get the pictures to open on my comp

Touchythetiki, right now nobody can, Sabu needs to update his links.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
touchythetiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-25 09:17 am   Permalink

ahh kk thanks:)

View Profile of touchythetiki Send a personal message to touchythetiki  Email touchythetiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-25 09:21 am   Permalink

I'll see if I can find my old pics tonight at home and upload them to my new Snapfish account.

Thanks,

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-01 5:02 pm   Permalink

Yesterday while driving down Venice Blvd. I noticed that the hedge in front of the Mar Vista Lanes was completely gone and the Makai Tiki was no longer hidden.

The Coffee Shop sign is still cool.

The Bar hadnít opened yet. I know itís long since been De-Tikified but I still wanted to take a look and or get a drink.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-01 10:14 pm   Permalink

Man am I glad that I shot that sign above before it got remodelled in generic Helvetica style. It'll be in Tiki Modern.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-09 08:48 am   Permalink

OK,

Digging up an old thread here....

I've been passing this place for years. Last night some friends invited me here for a night of Bowling fun. Never one to pass up a bowling invite, I dug out my weapon (a 16 lb Brunswick "Twister") and me and the family headed out for a Sat Nite Bowl-a-rama.

After finishing 2 decent games (189, and 143) I went looking for the ATM and wound up entering the Coffee Shop....I nearly fell over. Lava Rock Walls, well worn Googie styling everywhere !

Went to alert my friends who really didn't share my excitement.(few do, I'm a googie fanatic, most "normal" people don't understand it)

Then, we went into the bar to partake in some karaoke. I walked outside for some air, and that's when I saw it.....

The Mar Vista TIKI.

I had no idea this place was a TIKI bowling alley.

I always remember driving by the place and seeing the great orange sign they used to have, but don't anymore.

I wish someone would bring it back to it's TIKI glory. What a great place. I will be sure to eat in that great coffee house one of these days.

Bowling and TIKI are one of the greatest combinations since Reese's discovered Chocolate and Peanut Butter.

Please SABU, post your photos again.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2007-09-09 08:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2007-09-09 08:59 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-21 4:19 pm   Permalink

So, does anybody know if the Tiki is still standing some 5+ years since the last sighting? I did a little matchbook swapping this weekend and got one the MaKai Room matchbooks (missing pictures above).

Back of the matchcover with a 1962 date.

Also found this Mar Vista coffee shop menu on Arkiva Tropika.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-21 4:27 pm   Permalink

According to Google Street View the tiki is still there.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-21 6:11 pm   Permalink

I drive by the Tiki every day on my way home from work and we are regulars at Pepy's, the diner in the Mar Vista Bowl which surrounds the Tiki. It's in a horrible state of disrepair and completely weathered, but it is still there.
FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-21 9:13 pm   Permalink

JP,
you should bring a little coffee table
and sit outside with the tiki when you eat there.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-22 05:32 am   Permalink

Here he is from about a year ago...

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-22 10:58 am   Permalink

The tiki last night.

Hey, it's winter and a caveman's gotta stay warm!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation