FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tikimecula's Clubs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Tikimecula's Clubs
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 9:34 pm   Permalink

Conga, BK, Palm City and Moon Thanks again for the kind words!

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 9:48 pm   Permalink

Looks great! Nice job... one of these days I'd like to try my luck at a club like that.

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-28 5:38 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: GMAN 2007-07-03 13:38 ]

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 12:40 pm   Permalink

Tikimecula,

I could never pull those photos up on my PC at home with the slow dial-up connection, so I finally had to view them at work. That club really turned out nice. I like the idea of carvings that can be done from nice kiln-dried stock with no splitting and cracking. Very clean piece!

BTW, I finally got to the part in your Maori book about the incantations the carvers used before starting on a carving to keep the log from splitting. I think I might have to try that...

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 12:43 pm   Permalink

Great walk through...you make it look easy...i cant imagine how you drew the checking? any hints?

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 3:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-29 12:43, Loki wrote:
Great walk through...you make it look easy...i cant imagine how you drew the checking? any hints?

A ruler and a pencil, That's it. If you make a mistake with the pencil there is always the eraser:)

On another note, at Office Depo I picked up a 24" bendable ruler for about $5, Comes in real handy some times, for drawing a straight line on a round object.

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 8:36 pm   Permalink

I have to learn some of your patience for accuracy. It really seems to pay off. Nice piece, and functional as well.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-04 6:54 pm   Permalink

Here is the Kini Kini I have been working on. I forgot to get any shots up to this point. It's 27" Tall. The wood is Cherry.

And here is a Samoan War Club (I think?), I am also working on. It's 41" tall. Cherry wood also.

More later...

[ This Message was edited by: tikimecula 2005-12-04 18:57 ]

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-04 7:02 pm   Permalink

Hey TikiMecula!
That gonna be one bad boy there. I love cherry wood. How much did that cherry set you back?
Moon

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-04 7:33 pm   Permalink

Nice Kini, great, graceful sweep...and nice Apa Apai blank, Mec..Cherry is a joy to carve. It is super hard and tight, and fairly heavy. It holds detail very well..and in the case of your Kini Kini, it will also hold an edge very well...The edges and points of this club should be very, very sharp. It had a gruesome purpose! I carved one of these for Pablus and he makes a show of hooking limes from a bowl to use in friend's drinks at his Lagoon Lounge! It is a thrill to see someone else doing some clubs! Very important part of tiki decor. Tiki bars everywhere will thank you

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 4:23 pm   Permalink

Those look pretty sweet!!!!

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 4:41 pm   Permalink

... where do you put the bullets?...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 5:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys! I finished the Kini up today and got it stained will post pics when it drys.

Moon, I can get cherry around here for around $6 a BF, not bad considering I found some Koa at the same place for $25 a BF! (Ouch......so i bought that too!)

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 5:48 pm   Permalink

Hey Tmec, that Samoan looks Awesome! What did you use to cut in all the lines? Excellent, straight lines and well perportioned. Thats a Killer Club( pun intended).

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 6:01 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ben, About 90% of it i used a 1/8" parting tool, and the other 10% i used my recip Weecher with a 1/4" parting. I seem to have more control with out that 2 foot spinning cable getting in my way. I love the Weecher but some times the hand tools are quicker and easier for me.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation