FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tikimecula's Clubs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Tikimecula's Clubs
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 7:52 pm   Permalink

Here it is all finished up!

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 8:05 pm   Permalink

I had to hit the thesaurus to do it justice:
Crackerjack work! Jim dandy war club. I think it's splendid. Your carving is unsurpassed.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-06 09:01 am   Permalink

Thanks Pappy!

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 05:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-05 18:01, tikimecula wrote:
Thanks Ben, About 90% of it i used a 1/8" parting tool, and the other 10% i used my recip Weecher with a 1/4" parting. I seem to have more control with out that 2 foot spinning cable getting in my way. I love the Weecher but some times the hand tools are quicker and easier for me.

When you use the hand parting tool, do you tap it with a mallet or do you just push it with your palm?

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 07:09 am   Permalink

Well, eitherway, power or by hand, you did na Excellent job of keeping those lines straight, which is very difficult no matter how you do it. ..BRAVO!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 07:21 am   Permalink

I agree with Pappy. That piece is statuesque, stunning, superb & symmetrical.
I think I want to give a club a try. I wonder if I can do one in Oak as 2" cherry is not accessable.
Wes

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 09:11 am   Permalink

Loki, I use a "full size" chisel if thats what you call them (not a Palm chisel) and use both hands for control.

Ben, A compliment from you is always held in high regard!

Moon, Thanks!

ManoKoa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-07 11:52 am   Permalink

Good form on the carvings and I like how the lines are laid out. Do you push your chisels? I use two hands as well but I pull, kinda like a "hara-kiri" style.

View Profile of ManoKoa Send a personal message to ManoKoa  Email ManoKoa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 5:29 pm   Permalink

Here is the Samoan Apa Apai club i started the same time as the Kini Kini club. I spent some time on it today and got one side of it almost done. I had to stop, I felt like i was going blind after looking at all those tiny lines all day!

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 6:58 pm   Permalink

I really appreciate the straight lines you achieved, I HATE my parting tool, I've never been successful with it. In my mind they work great, in reality...a mess of splinters all over... I think this is where I need the most education. I'm working on an Inuit Storm Paddle, and trying to dress it up...wrecked it. Tried 2 different parting tools, some hand tools, now I'm just gonna ink it in. Friggin' hate it, when I can't figure it out. Sorry to rant. I just love your clean lines, that's what I'm after. Maybe show a picture of the exact tool you used.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 7:39 pm   Permalink

Bravo...very, very nice work, Tikimecula. I agree with what Ben said...a straight line is hard to find...you nailed it. I really like the Apa, too. God is in the details! The Apa Apai was also carved in Tonga with smaller serrated sections. I just picked up a suitable blank today for one...hard to find the 2"-2 1/2" thickness in hardwoods that are straight and problem-free enough to get a good war club. Great, detailed chiseling...keep it up, man!

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna 2005-12-08 09:09 ]

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-07 8:35 pm   Permalink

Surf, I have been calling it a Parting tool, in reality It's a veiner. It's shaped like a parting tool but real small Check the pics. That is a 1/4" Parting "v" next to it.

BK, Thanks! I should have made the Kini a little sharper? I need to stop buying books, every new book i get i see a nice looking club I'm gonna have to try.

[ This Message was edited by: tikimecula 2005-12-07 20:47 ]

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-08 09:21 am   Permalink

Thanks Tiki-M,
I'm gonna get me one, and give'er a try!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-08 09:33 am   Permalink

Love those Henry Taylors..indestructable!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-09 04:17 am   Permalink

Tikimecula,
You have very good control over that chisel, very impressive!
What books are you using for reference and which would you recommend?

Thanks-- JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation