FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Johnnyp Tut 2/19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 Next Page )
Johnnyp Tut 2/19
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-28 12:24 pm   Permalink

Hi,
Thanks for all the positive comments, they help get me outside in the cold!

Gman and Benzart, I wouldn’t hold out on any projects.

Gman- No, I didn’t do the shallow relief carving with a chainsaw. I only used one to slab out the wood plank (can’t buy a 2x20 at the lumber store) that you can see in picture two of my last post, and to cut out the outline, after that I used knives and chisels. Then a belt sander to smooth out the saw marks from the slabbing cuts. I have to give my wife credit for the wonderful painting.

Here is my latest project, a Marquesan U’ U’ club. Made of Elm, 61 inches by 7 inches at it’s widest stained with red mahogany . This was a challenge I almost gave up on a few times. It almost went in the fireplace twice. The handle has a bit of a warp in it that happened as it was drying. It also checked on the top, you can see this in some of the pictures, but then again, some of the originals have checks in them also, maybe it makes it look more authentic and older.

One side

Other side

Me striking a Basement Kahuna like pose. Remember, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Thank you for your inspiration BK.

Criticism welcome.

Thanks for stopping in.

Does anybody know how to change the subject line without editing the initial post?

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-28 1:20 pm   Permalink

That looks great! Funny...I've been carving one of these for a Tiki Centralite in France! Should be done soon if I can get these jewelry orders caught up simultaneously. Those are deceptively hard clubs, because everything breeches everything else in the form. Like that pose, too! You're on team Kahunassou. Get this man a red cap and a speedo.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-28 3:20 pm   Permalink

JP,

You're scaring me! Nice weapon, glad you didn't burn it. Give it to you PNG Tiki so he can guard the house. I gave the Patu to my Maori, he likes being armed.

I was wondering how you did the shield without using chisels. I bet a router would have worked well to, but then again, maybe not.

"The saw is family"

[ This Message was edited by: GMAN 2006-01-30 17:36 ]

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-28 4:01 pm   Permalink

Hey bruddah johnny!
Absolutely amazing work on the war club brah! Ive seen the kahiko ones just like that in person and you really did an awesome job at tackling a tough design to replicate! Maybe you post more close-up detailed pictures of the club head brah, need to see all the miki'oi kine work!

Keep up the amazing carving cuz!

Malama Pono!

[ This Message was edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-28 16:02 ]

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 03:58 am   Permalink

Cool work dude - that PNG style mask looked great! Very traditional

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 06:57 am   Permalink

Johnny,

I don't think you can change the subject line without editing your first post. When you do edit your first post, go to the bottom and highlight/delete all the edit date and time text. This will leave you thread looking a bit cleaner as you will only have one edit line - your latest edit.

What are you making today??? What's up with the big PNG tiki??

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 08:02 am   Permalink

Looking fine Johnny P. Yes, I thought I saw that pose somewhere before too!

[ This Message was edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-01-29 08:03 ]

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 08:10 am   Permalink

Really nice club. It is Larger than I thought and it must be Heavy. I'd hate to meet that with my head as I'm sure it would hurt just a bit. Pretty wood!.
Yes you can edit the topic line. I do it all the time as well as other posters. Just open the edit on the first post of your thread and change the heading to what ever you want it to say. And as GMAN said you can delete the Bottom lines where is shows the date of the last edit (if there is one), then click submit.
That way you aren't stuck with the same heading for your thread.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 08:59 am   Permalink

Awsome JohnnyP, that club is amazing! It would be cool to carve a full-size tiki, like the one you just did, in a fightng stance holding a weapon like that. It would be so dramatic.

By the way, I recieved the tape you sent. Thank you so much! I've used it twice now and it seems to work pretty well, although I've been careful not to stab myself again. Mahalo nui!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 1:06 pm   Permalink

JohnnyP, you are a wildman! Great post! Too funny with the picture of you at teh bottom, looks like you're having fun, that's awesome! Keep up the good work!

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-03 7:32 pm   Permalink

, Hi everybody. Thank you for the complements on the U‘U‘. I should have replied to this a while ago.

Thank you BK for your welcoming me to team Kahunassou.
You are right on the U’U’ every curve crashes into the next form and it is hard to get tools in the right position to carve. Sanding was a pain. I look forward to seeing yours.

Kaha Ki’I I’ll take some close ups and post them. Thank you for the complement, it means a lot coming from a person that actually lives in the "south seas".

Benzart I've seen these in books and on line and saw the dimensions listed, but it was a surprise how big they actually were when I saw one in a museum.

Finkdaddy, I would like to see the tiki you come up with in a fighting stance with a weapon. Bring it on!

Bete, I am having a blast doing this! It only looks like I am a wild man.

Gman came up with the idea of us making a club mounted with shark teeth like some he had seen on line Gman and I traded some shark teeth for a roughed out club. I got the much better end of the deal. I owe him some more!

I found a reference and here is my version of a Palau Papaihomano. It is made of red oak and shark teeth. It is about 15.5 inches long and 1 inch thick.

Best side -no knots in the cord showing,

Knot side- knots in the hemp cord show

Close up

With reference photo-Island Ancestors -Allen Wardwell

When I was done, my 6 year old daughter said “That is some back-scratcher”

Thanks for looking hope you enjoyed.
Have a nice day
JP

[ This Message was edited by: JohnnyP 2006-02-04 03:23 ]

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-04 04:34 am   Permalink

That is one seriously nasty looking weapon...i would hate to be on the receiving end of that in a fight.

Very Nice job Johnny. Did you have to drill holes in each tooth to sew the line through the wood and teeth? It really gives it a great hand made feel. Whats next?

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-04 09:27 am   Permalink

Very nice club Johnny. Very precise and very Dangerous looking. Don't drop that on your toe.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-04 09:31 am   Permalink

Aloha again Bruddah,
Nice job on the shark tooth club! No worries about knots showing brah, it doesnt take away from the overall beauty and these kine weapons werent really meant to be pretty, they were meant to used! And using Oak brah...Da buggah must be deadly heavy! You did a good job brah replicating da kine from a photo! I make small hand clubs and leiomano all the time (wish I had time to make more!)and Im sure you know the how good it feels to hold that buggah in your hand, yeah? Every person who has ever picked one of mine up says their first thought is "ouch! I wouldnt want to get hit with that!"...
You can feel the "mana" when you hold one and its no wonder only warriors of a certain class could own one!

You should pick up a copy of "Hawaiian arts & crafts" By Peter Buck.(www.nativebookshawaii.com or
www.bishopmuseum.com)
The volume on weapons has pretty concise info on the different methods of attaching the niho to the paddle. Theres a few different ways to do it which might make it a bit easier for you next time, if youre worried about "knots" showing...

Your weapons are turning out pono brah! Keep up the good work!

Malama Pono!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-04 1:33 pm   Permalink

Good job...a beauty!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation