FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Johnnyp Tut 2/19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 Next Page )
Johnnyp Tut 2/19
makutiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-04 1:33 pm   Permalink

That snow pic look´s like it could have been taken here in Sweden.... Remindes me of that picture in Book of Tiki, Alhoha Holidays NY! Tiki´s look good in snow too!!
Great work, love it!

/Makutiki Swe.

View Profile of makutiki Send a personal message to makutiki  Goto the website of makutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
turbosickboy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-04 1:47 pm   Permalink

Really great stuff you got there... hope to see more of it soon

View Profile of turbosickboy Send a personal message to turbosickboy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-04 6:40 pm   Permalink

I'm with Aaron, it seems like here you are one day and the next you have a whole beautiful yard full of Awesome carvings. I Love it and your work is really top notch and like we rarely see here. Like I said before Welcome to TC, com on in and make yourself comfortable. Kick off yer shoes and stay awhile. OH, and don't forget to post more pix on your way anywhere.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 5:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the wonderful feedback.

Makutiki.
Tikis do look good in the snow. They just freeze their "knots" off.

AA and Benzart
I do have to admit to being a "lurker" for quite a while. We only recently obtained a digital camera of sufficient quality, as can be deduced by my terrible photography. I borrowed one earlier only to find my work's firewall would not let pictures be uploaded out of our office. So I've been enjoying learning all I can from the talent at this site on my lunch breaks.

Thanks to this site I've been challenged to go further in my carving and try new things. Now I've got carving obsession-- thanks for filling up all my free time:) The only problem is I'm running out of room and don't know what to do with them.

Thanks again
JohnnyP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 5:27 pm   Permalink

Holy cow! Where'd you come from? (I know...you've been lurking) Great, great carvings. I love that you're doing PNG inspired pieces. I've been getting more and more interested in PNG art and culture lately. Welcome aboard.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 7:52 pm   Permalink

What the....???

I really need to start paying more attention around here.

Welcome to TC, Johnny P! It's great to see such great carvings and a wonderful backyard in my own home state. My Wife works in Imlay City, just a few miles from you and her co-workers look at her like she's an alien whenever she mentions anything tiki. What do you use for a wood source? Believe it or not, I'm having a heck of a time finding wood (short of chopping down my own tree). I'd love to see more pics of your KU in progress... heck, any more pics you have... those are great!

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-06 5:02 pm   Permalink

-Z
You are certainly right about that "they look at you like you're an alien" when you mention tiki around here. It's great to know there is somebody else on this site from MI.

I am lucky enough to have family with wooded property so most of my log stock comes from windfall that is cleaned up, some times it's even delivered. If you call a tree service that is local they can sometimes drop off a load of logs on their way back from a job. Some of them even have a lot were you can pick from. With the gas / propane prices going up it might be difficult to find hardwood as they usually sell it as firewood, but pine should be easy to get. I've used dimensional lumber for some of my carvings. Keep your eye out when you are driving around people throw away scrap lumber all the time.

This is a roof spire inspired from New Caledonia. It was carved from a 2x12 from a discarded shipping crate. I just drew the design around the nails and nail holes. Can't beat free. I don't have a picture of this one finished, I gave it away before I thought to take one.

I'll post the Ku progress pics when I find them. There isn't many of them.

Kono Thanks for the welcome.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-09 4:52 pm   Permalink

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. JohnnyP needs to move me south, far south!!!

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-09 5:20 pm   Permalink

JP-
I love your creations my friend. You need to take more photos though. I'm a junkie for photos, progress photos especially.
Thanks for sharing,
Moon

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-09 9:41 pm   Permalink

Great stuff Johnny... good to see another Upper Midwest tiki carver.
More pictures of tikis in the snow too!

As you said, wood is where you find it... I stole logs from city parks when I first started... had a few run-ins with the cops on some late night raids...
I think there are a few stories on here somewhere...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 4:01 pm   Permalink

Thanks to Gman and his good advice I was able to hack a bull dolphin out. I don’t think I did Gman justice though.

This is my first sale, I‘m excited to actually sell something, even though it is not strictly tiki.

The starting point. A good sized pine log. That’s a 20 inch bar on the saw for reference. These logs are about 5 years old and the outside sap wood (the outside inch and a half) is pretty much gone. The heartwood is still good though.

Mahi Mahi “caught” in the Great Lakes.

Frontal view. I made the fins much thicker than they should be to give them strength

It needs some clean up work, fine tuning and veining of the fins. It also needs to dry for a few days so I can do the finish sanding.

I hope you enjoy it.
JP

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 4:12 pm   Permalink

YEAH DOGG! You hit that one right on the button! Dude, that is killer. Wow, I'm speachless. Now, sand it up and GET PAID!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 4:13 pm   Permalink

That is so freakin' cool! One of your pieces would sure look good on the wall of the Leeward Lounge...

I may be slightly artistic, but I can't do anything that looks real to save my life. You do it very, very well.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 4:21 pm   Permalink

JP-
Damm, that was quick! I enjoy seeing all type of carvings.
moon

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 4:52 pm   Permalink

JP,

I just came back to look at this again. It's so good it's silly. I really like how you shaped the mouth, it has a real aggressive look to it. The body and fins look stellar! Is it two sided or is the backside unfinished?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation