FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Johnnyp Tut 2/19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 Next Page )
Johnnyp Tut 2/19
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-06 3:22 pm   Permalink

Kia ora JP. Thanks for the welcoming PM. Cant believe that I havent caught this thread yet! You are an animal!! (& of course I mean that in the nicest possible way...)
The Silver King: WOW!!! I cant believe the scale you guys work on!
The Maripi/knife: WOW!!! Very traditional, very beautiful!
PNG Croc flute: Holt sh*t!!! Now thats clever!

Have only coaught the opening and latest pages but the middle is definately on my 'to do' list. Im sure there are many more pleasant surprises in store...

If it wearnt daytime here I would run outside & howl at the moon!!!

RE-SPECT! Tama The Terrible (dammit Benz, the name has stuck!)

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-07 07:26 am   Permalink

Wow JP! The crock horn - how cool is that? I'm surprised that you could get it down to 1/2 inch thich without breaking out somewhere with the chainsaw. Very well done! A sound bite would be very interesting...

Now to the fish! Whoa! That's a big fish!
Is that all one piece of wood? It is really cool.

What tools would you use to attempt the scales? I tried scales once, just for practice, and with a Foredom or Weecher, it might be easier. I didn't get too far though - just playin around. It still was pretty difficult to get the right look.

TG

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-07 1:33 pm   Permalink

Very nice job on the fish, especially the detail on the head. What sort of colour are you going to pout on the croc horn? I'm hanging to see it finished!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 6:27 pm   Permalink

JohnnyP,

Whatcha got going on up there? I know you are cranking on stuff before the freezing weather arrives...are you gonna show us some?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 7:30 pm   Permalink

I didn't know you were a good enough fisherman to land a beast like the=at. He must have felt sorry for you and Jumped right into your boat, just to help you out a bit. Good on 'ya. Excellent catch oh brave fishcatcher!!
HEha

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 7:33 pm   Permalink

Excellent! I can't even imagine how much that must weigh. He's looking real sharp, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-17 5:10 pm   Permalink

Thank you all for the comments.

Gman and Loki- Thanks for the continued support, Hopefully I can carve with you guys soon.

Congatiki- This is the only way to catch these fish up here, but when you cook them they taste a lot like pine, I don't blame you for not being into sawdust flavored fish. Keep up the PNG pieces.

TTT- Welcome to TC. Thanks for your props. You do top shelf work and it is a pleasure to watch those jade pieces come to life.

TikiGap- It is one log for the body and rear lower tail and seven added fins- which I still have a bit more fine tuning to eliminate the gaps. I gave up on the scales for now. The horn took a lot of patience and a real easy throttle finger. Further inside the horn the walls thicken up so it is all not 1/2 inch wall.

Paipo- the Crockhorn will be sepik river dark with chalky paint- similar to what Congatiki has done recently. I just hope mine turns out as good as his.

Finkdaddy- Thanks. I think it weighs about 65-75 pounds.

Here is the last couple small projects. The next project will be a tiki in a style I haven't done before.

Benzart- Thanks, this is the secret lure I use to catch these. Makes the tarpon a bit more tiki, so I am going to use the tarpon as a display mount for this Sociity Island fish hook replica.

A bull-roar. I have always wanted one of these ever since I heard that old Midnight Oil song. I found a picture of one from New Guinea and thought it would fit the tiki theme. Shallow relief carved. The flash made the white stand way out, it's not that bright. I think the figure on it came out looking like Icus from "Real Monsters" though. It sounds pretty cool when used.

Here is another bone dagger. This again from deer leg-bone.

Thanks for looking and have a great week!
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-17 5:17 pm   Permalink

great stuff, johnny. is that dagger available?

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-17 5:26 pm   Permalink

Bullet
Yes the dagger is available.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-17 5:48 pm   Permalink

Diggin' the bullroarer - I was checking out some Maori ones in a book of instruments a week or two back with thought of doing one. I don't think they'd go too well in stone though! I love the red/black/white PNG colour combo you've used. You seem to have a good eye for doing more unusual and offbeat objects.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-17 5:53 pm   Permalink

yer killin' me with this stuff...the dagger is wonderful...looks like something that's
been around a long time and has a lot of stories.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-18 06:14 am   Permalink

JP,

That stuff rocks! Bring that lure down here and we'll see how it stands up to a marlin - old man and the sea style!

The roarer is nutz, I want one! Does it sound like Crocodile Dundee's? If so it's a must have for Club Greg. Bring it with you next time you come by so we can mess around with it.

That dagger is choice; same style as your previous piece? Man I hope Kings gets it, it would really look great in his collection. Thanks for sharing.

Keep up the killer worx!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-18 2:36 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Most Excellent stuff there. The Bone knife is Really Excellent, very different looking. Did you get all the barbecue sauce off it after/before you carved It??
When I was a kid I used to make those Bull roarers, thay were Soo cool and different sizes make different sounds too. I don't remember doing any fancy carving on mine though.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-24 11:05 am   Permalink

Hi,

Benzart, somehow I find it hard to believe that you used to make something that didn't have any fancy carving all over it.

Paipo, It's not that I have an eye for unusual objects, I just try different things to push me and learn new things. Maybe I'll give stone a shot.

Here is the start of the first tiki I've done in a while. Gman has prompted me to do a Maori, so I decided to do so. It will be a tekoteko loosely interpreted from an image found on the net. Just about 4 feet tall. So far it is just about an hour and a half rough cut block in with a chainsaw. It is going to have to dry a bit before I go any further. I think this one will take a while. As Congatiki says, hopefully it will be done before the snow falls.

Front

Side

Other side

I also blocked out a Hawaiian bowl/platter that will be supported buy figures on either end. I'll try to get pics later today.

Thanks
JP

[ This Message was edited by: JohnnyP 2006-09-24 11:14 ]

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-24 12:59 pm   Permalink

Aint that some Sh*$!! JohnnyP RULES!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation