FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-20 5:56 pm   Permalink

Loki,

Just plain awsome! I love the hollowed out eyes, and the finish is fantastic!

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-22 4:02 pm   Permalink

Loki, it looks awesome. You guys keep up the spirit down there. Two minds are always better than one......

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-23 11:54 am   Permalink

That's waaaay cool. Nice finish too! May have to try a mask--I get palm logs occasionally that are no good for carving full body tikis, maybe I could salvage enough from my bad logs for this kinda thing. Keep up the awesome work.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-24 09:51 am   Permalink

NICE! Great job Loki. That palm finished up real nice. How are things on the other coast?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-25 7:57 pm   Permalink

So I just happened into the Jetsetter this evening and what do I happen to stumble upon...

AMAZING to get to see it in real life...very nice work my friend!

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-18 9:51 pm   Permalink

Looooookkkiiiii , come out and play ......

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-19 12:41 pm   Permalink

man did that mask ever turn out great. how many coats of whatever you used did you put on to make it shine like that?
GOOD JOB

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-26 1:12 pm   Permalink

What's going on down there? Too hot to carve?
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-27 05:46 am   Permalink

Hey all, I've been busy carving...i'll do a big pic post when i complete some of the many i have going...I've been getting mask orders and it's been keeping me busy...

Rodeo and JP, thanks for the bump. Glad to know you are still interested in my stuff.

Tiki Duddy, the mask in that pic is coconut palm, which is rough and stringy when being carved, but once you start sanding, it gets smooth like glass...lots of sanding. Then I use Minwax Poly Satin finish and sand with 220 between each coat. I'd say there were at least 5 coats on that guy...I always overkill the poly, but down in the hot Florida sun even 5 coats of good poly needs to be redone at least once a year.

I've got a huge slit drum getting close to being finished, a 3 foot ficus that is going to a neighbors yard,two masks orders in process, various small projects that need to get finished. And one project for me, that i'm just getting into. Of course that one only gets work when i find time...

StumpGrinder is working on a mug. It is sculpted and were about ready to send if off to Helztiki and Poptiki for a few test runs. Were looking forward to seeing the results. Again, i'll wait for pics until they are finished. We want to make sure it works before posting. Hang in there.

Hey JP it is HOT down here and August is the worst. I can only work a few hours before i'm exhausted. The problem is the heat just stays even into the night and it just wears you down. But that is what rum is for. Still hoping things are going well for you. Fingers still crossed.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 06:12 am   Permalink

Well with the new image tool i have no excuses to put it off. Here is the other moai mask that was sent to VA to live.

I added a light kit on it so it can cast an erie glow. Sorry about the crappy pics but it looks much better in person.

Mahalo for looking.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 07:23 am   Permalink

Looks great. Lets see some that other stuff you've been working on.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 07:33 am   Permalink

Loki, the mask looks great, especiallt in the bigger pictures allowed with Hanfords new photo uploads..... Really nice finish on this guy, you must have sanded on him for a few dayz. Glad to see you posting again, don't stop with this one.!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 07:43 am   Permalink

WAY COOL!

A pair of those on either side of a door guarding the entrance..... Colored lightbulbs, yellow maybe, in the light kit..... A wahine with a Mai-Tai on the other side of the door......

You work on the masks, I will work on the Wahine with the Mai Tai

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-11 03:06 am   Permalink

I'm stoked to see some new work from you - that moai looks great, if somewhat scary. I'm a big fan of the "hollow eyes" look.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-13 5:58 pm   Permalink

Sweet. I like the lighting effect. Glad to see you posting again.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation