FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-06 2:08 pm   Permalink

Kia ora Loki. Slowly getting around to check out all the great work going on... Great looking bar (scrolls look choice!), nicely stocked too! The prints are by a painter named Charles Goldie, gone down in history as the first great 'documenter' of how the Maori dressed/looked, though he has his detracters who say some of the compositions were a little 'posed' ie; sometimes he adjusted the way cloaks were worn (to show off border patterning) or loaded up the models with too much jewellery, etc. That said, there he has left a wonderful legacy, yes?

Love the Marq mask too. Didnt realise how big it was! The pyro work looks really good! Couldve stopped there & left the contrast of dark pattern on light coloured wood (the customer is always right tho!!)

Nice one! Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-06 2:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-06 14:08, Tamapoutini wrote:
The prints are by a painter named Gottfried Lindauer, gone down in history as the first great 'documenter' of how the Maori dressed/looked...

Fixed!
Quote:
Lindauer was an accomplished and meticulous draughtsman and his paintings present a faithful ethnological record. In depicting Maori garments, ornaments, and weapons, Lindauer has not been surpassed. His rendering of Maori features and moko (tattooing) are highly valued by ethnologists. He never permitted imagination to replace authenticity in recording the customs and the way of life of the Maori people of his day. As a result, his work lacks the romantic appeal of later artists, like C. F. Goldie or H. Linley Richardson, who searched out the fast-disappearing picturesque types, the relics of those “bygone” days already recorded by Lindauer.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-06 2:59 pm   Permalink

*Thank goodness Mum is here to straighten us out, haha... Thanks Paipo' - Sorry Gottfried... (either way, looking good Loki!)
Tama The Terrible-at-remembering

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
makutiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-11 07:19 am   Permalink

That marq mask realy looks old, what kind of paint did you use, ore was it burned?

View Profile of makutiki Send a personal message to makutiki  Goto the website of makutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-11 08:05 am   Permalink

I used ebony colored stain watered down, then lightly sanded. In the spots that were a bit to light i used a piece of charcoal and rubbed in the color. The entire aging process took a half hour. It is going to be kept inside so the elements will not kill him.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 5:51 pm   Permalink

I've been very busy and carving has been slow, but here is the newest project i just finished. A Maori triple twist made from florida mahogany. Such a beautiful wood grain. The design was a devil to figure out and its not perfect by any stretch. It's just short of a foot long. I'm going to make a few more. This one is a gift and will be living in Germany as of tomorrow. So long triple twist.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 6:16 pm   Permalink

Absolutely gorgeous!

Although it does make me hungry for a donut.

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 6:41 pm   Permalink

Loki, that triple twist was really Sweet and Excellent, especially since it came from the heart. Very well done. Did you kike working with the Fla. Mahagoney? It is such special wood both in beauty and in carvability , I can see that this is a special piece.
How is your trip plan coming along, when are you leaving?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 7:00 pm   Permalink

thanks heath...it really is a cool design and like benz said they are made from the heart...only to be given, never bought for oneself.

Benz, we are leaving tomorrow and will be back next weekend.

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 04:45 am   Permalink

Loki,

That twist is a real beauty! As Benz said, it truly looks to be carved with heart. Very nice job. Have a safe trip and PM me when you get back, I think you need to come over for a carving day and maybe a night trip to the sandrail pit.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 04:57 am   Permalink

Have a great trip, hope all works out as hoped
Cheers all around!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 2:25 pm   Permalink

Lovely piece Loki! Now you just gotta work out how to do the cut-throughs! The twist has become assimilated into the repertoire of "Maori" design here, but is actually a very european piece that was inspired by flickering flames , according to its creator, who originally called it "flame form". You can read his story here (scroll down bit for the jade and his thoughts about the twist) - he is a very interesting and eccentric character who I have met a couple of times, and is an expert on the earliest years of contemporary jade carving in NZ.

[ This Message was edited by: Paipo 2006-10-23 01:18 ]

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 01:36 am   Permalink

Oh Gawd, the dreaded triple twist...

Please excuse my intro, you have done a very nice job with this. It IS a tricky form eh?

Quote:

On 2006-10-14 14:25, Paipo wrote:
Lovely piece Loki! Now you just gotta work out how to do the cut-throughs! The twist has become assimilated into the repertoire of "Maori" design here...

At the carving school Paipo & I attended, this was one of the 'set' designs all students had to face. I completed the required (2) pieces & have never made one since!!! Man, I found them a real brain-twister, haha.
As Paipo says, you can take these cuts further until they cut right through & each 'arm' becomes seperate. I wish you luck if you attempt it! A cheap bone one could/would serve as a good marquette/model..?

*To be totally honest, I prefer the way you have done it & would do the same, were I to ever repeat the design... Which I wont!haha

Nice piece, Ka pai! Tama

Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-22 05:39 am   Permalink

Thanks you NZ guys...that design is a real tough lesson in carving 3D...i had full intention to carve the cut outs but ran out of time...i only had a few hours to work on this...i'm obligated to make one more and i'll carve the cut throughs on it as i'll have more time...

I have to admit, the design looks easy until you try it...i did a lot thinking on this...but i actually like it without the cut throughs just as much...Its now in Germany with my new found brother so its all good.

Papio...that was an interesting link about the origin of the twist... I admit i was a bit disappointed at this news at first, but seeing as they now make it a mandatory study for you jade/stone carvers it must hold some merit. This is such a great example of how art infuses into culture and shows how dynamic art can be. At the very least it was a difficult challenge and i'm a better carver for it.

[ This Message was edited by: Loki 2006-10-22 05:53 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-22 06:38 am   Permalink

Well, I can't wait to see the second one Loki. Do you have enpugh of that Mahogany to do the 2nd one? Hope so because it was Really beautiful.
Welcome home, sounds like all went well, I Hope so. It's not often you get to find an Unknown brother or sister. HappyHappyHappy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation