FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-11 7:48 pm   Permalink

Love the rough finished look to your work!! Keep em' coming.

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 10:12 am   Permalink

Hey Loki...boy did that come up nicely. I loved watching you work on it at Benz...if you want my vote (which I'm sure is open for debate)...I'd go for more smoothing as well. I love chisel marks, but here I think it takes away a bit from the focal point of the carving....those beautiful patterns. Don't you hate it when you're done, and someone comes along and says.....do more do more....sorry. It's very beautiful. Looking forward to your next ones.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 10:25 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone for looking. After some thought and the overwhelming suggestions to age/smooth out the tool marks, I am going to readdress the finish. Gotta go on the back burner for a while, but that will give me more time to figure out what to do, without changning it too much. See, the problem is I gave it to my Wahine for our 4th anniversary and she rather likes it the way it is.
Thanks for the suggestions Tama. In person the tool marks look better than the 2 dimensional photo, but with them smoothed out some I'm sure it will tone down a bit. I wanted the piece to look folk/hand crafted, almost like someone stumbling on it in the woods as if it were part of a long forgotten larger piece. But, the democracy of the carvers here will rule supreme.

Robin, I'm glad its "almost" finished. It was tedious beyond belief. Glad you got to see it like it was before.

AS, nice to see you. Got the booze, so the bar is stocked again for next time.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 12:40 pm   Permalink

Hey Loki, I think you should leave it as it is and do another one as per suggestions. If this one is already given away and Especially if it's for your Sweetheart, leave it alone. If you do something to mess it up she will be Unhappy forever.
Think about it. I Love the piece and have since you started. It was nice to see it flow out to what it is now and I KNow you must have really worked some long hours to gt it done in time. Excellent work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 12:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ben. Thats what I'll do. Got another piece ready to go at it. By the way, what are the sanding wheels that you had on your drill press called and where did you get them? I recall you had a few in different grits and it looked like you could attach them on a drill as well?

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 2:32 pm   Permalink

It's great to see you back posting, missed your carvings. Welcome back. I'm glad you're taking Ben's advice and leaving it finished and starting another one. More treats to look forward to.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 2:56 pm   Permalink

Ben's so smart...why didn't I think of that....especially if it's already been gifted to your sweetie. And now we get to see another one!

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 3:45 pm   Permalink

Hey, you got it done! Pretty nifty to see it all done after watching you start on it a couple weekends ago. Nice work!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 5:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks Loki.
The things were Sanding Stars and Mac Mops and Sanding mops. There are red ones that come already on a mandrel which are the best:
HERE
Then there are these which are excellent too
HERE
Then the yellow sanding stars which are Also great:
HEre
Here is a link to All of them
HERE
Hope this helps. Ask mif you need more info OR Call me anytime during the day.

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2013-10-12 10:13 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 5:16 pm   Permalink

"I think you should leave it as it is"

Yep. Great stuff Loki. I'm looking forward to seeing the next version.

Sweetz!

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
octopussy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-13 05:08 am   Permalink

Great carving there. What a sweet aniversary gift. There's a lot of details and time that went into that. No wonder she wants it left alone!

View Profile of octopussy Send a personal message to octopussy  Goto the website of octopussy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-13 05:59 am   Permalink

Thanks Ben, it was the sanding mop I was interested in. Expensive, but I can see a million uses for them.

Thanks everyone for the comments. The good news is I get to do another one. The bad news.....I get to do another one.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-13 06:09 am   Permalink

The BEST news is that WE GET TO see you do another one
Yes, good choice on the mops, they are the best.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-13 06:32 am   Permalink

Those sanding mops are also available at Woodcraft. The main differences are the different sizes and that they are NOT refillable. $17/each

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 7:01 pm   Permalink

LOki and Stumpgrinder, Sherry and I Really enjoyed seeing you guys again, we Must get 2gether again soon.
Happy...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation