FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-12 05:27 am   Permalink

Loki, if this is your first foray into carving, then I'd say you've got a pretty good knack for it. Good looking pieces and the palm wood does it for me.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-12 05:30 am   Permalink

Thanks foamy, We really had a good time experimenting on them. I dont think any of us were really finished with them, but you just have to stop working on them at some point.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-01 6:48 pm   Permalink

Well, its been a while since the last post. The holidays got in the way, and a chisel took a nice bite out of a finger, so that needed time to heal. Were back!

Decided to tackle a large sable palm that fell during Wilma's wrath. It was my neighbors tree, so he's happy that it will live on.

Its about 6' 4" and heavy as Jabba the Hutt. Debarked it using the arbortech wheel. I remember Tiki G memtioned that it is a messy job. He was not kidding. The sable palm has a thick skin, and once the outer skin is removed it hides a thick red fiber shell about 1/4 inch thick. I'm glad I had the Angle Grinder to help me in this process.Two large garbage bags full of saw dust. It still gave me a sweat, yes it was 80 degrees yesterday.

I have decided to use elements of a Marq. As i was staring at him, something just screamed to me. Make large golf ball like dimples for his head, so thats what i did. I found a scoop gouge at a flea market for $2 and honed it up nice and tried it out. I liked how it was turning out and went for it.

I really have a difficult time drawing what i want the tiki to be, and really wanted to carve, so i decided to draw the body later. It is very early into the carving process and i hope to get a bit more done tomorrow. I'm really stoked about working on such a large log and cant wait for him to come to life.

Lady loki, has also started her next masterpiece. She has decided to just dig in and see what comes out with little planning. I cant wait to see what emerges from the wood.

Just a few pics of the big log.

Neighbor, Tiki Scott has also decided that carving is addictive and has jumped into his next project. A small Cypress stump. He always comes up with unique designs. I believe this tiki will become an ashtray, with removable bowl.

We are really getting excited for the South Florida Tiki Jam on the 14th. Hopefully more updates before that.

Hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 1:08 pm   Permalink

With the golfball top does this qualify as a TEEki? It has to be fun to carve with a few people, nobody up here does this. Being able to feed off of each others ideas must be great!.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 1:19 pm   Permalink

Four!

tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-02 2:54 pm   Permalink

loki you and your wife are doing excellent work keep it up and a happy new year.

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 05:47 am   Permalink

I Agree, You 2 must be having SO Much fun!! I think we are all a bit envious of you sharing something as personal as tiki carving. Really, Really SWEET.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 5:12 pm   Permalink

Very cool stuff, and keepin' it in the family so to speak! I always like to get my wife's input too.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 4:58 pm   Permalink

Quick update.

Sam, my wife is my total inspiration. She has such a knack for things.

just a few pics from today. More to come soon.

Lady Loki doing her thing.

The big boy is slowly starting to take shape.

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 5:01 pm   Permalink

Loki,

He looks good. I can't wait to see him next weekend. We'll finish him up

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-15 08:25 am   Permalink

It was Really great seeing Loki's and Lady Loki's tikis in Person, They are really into this tiki thing Tooth and Nail. They Outdid themseles for the So Flo Tiki Jam, it was AWESOME!.
Keep up the excellent work guys and heres hoping we'll see you again soon.
Loki's ROCK!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 06:34 am   Permalink

Ok, the Tiki Jam was a tremendous success. I didnt work on much tiki carving myself as i was absorbing as much knowledge as possible from the masters, BenzArt and GMAN. I did finally get to work on my beast Monday, as well as finishing up the one GMAN donated for our Tiki garden.

GMANS tiki was a Ficus stump. I personally hate ficus trees as the roots are a menace to deal with, they use up all the water that the natives need and on and on. We decided to grab a few ficus logs just to see what could come of them. Benz told us that they carve real well. So, GMAN grabbed a log and went at it. I think we were all impressed at how easy they are to work with. After GMAN left the little guy, i cleaned him up, gave him a quick sanding and started staining him. As you can see, the ficus really has a nice grain to it and has lots of good colors that really pop out with stain and poly coat. Thanks again GMAN for this little guy we reall love how he turned out.

This was the initial coat of darker stain. We thought we'd highlight some area. Dont be alarmed, the ficus is very thirsty wood and the dark really toned down.

So, i finally got to work on the giant. After admiring Benz Lono and watching some of his technique i decided it was time to work on his mouth. I have changed the design a few time but am very happy with the results. It was fun sculpting the teeth and gum line. I had to think about how real teeth meet the gums. Anatomy lesson 101.

"Just because you have a mouth now, doesn't mean you can talk to me like that!"

Lady Loki started working on a Moai mask from a sliver cut off a coconut stump. Its only about 3 inches thick so its more delicate work than she thought, but i thinks its really going to look great when its done.

One last thing Kiddies...a SAFETY REMINDER. I am lucky to be typing this with all my fingers attatched. I was debarking a log using an angle grinder and an Arbortech wheel. I reached for the extendable handle and my left little finger brushed against the spinning blade. Thankfully i was wearing a leather glove. When the pain stopped, i took the glove off and to my surprise, no blood and the finger was still there. Just remind yourselves, to always be aware of where your hands are when using power tools. I know, you all know this, but sometimes we dont concentrate 100% all the time and need to think about this lesson every time we work. Stay safe. More to come.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 09:54 am   Permalink

Looks great. The big guy is really taking shape. The piece being used for the mask is actually Sabal. I have the matching log to prove it. Keep going your on a roll.

Speaking of safety - remember eye safety is also very important. After grinding (with safety glasses ON) I got some dust in my eye and the next day it looked like I went 12 rounds of boxing. The eye was very swollen but has since returned to normal. Next time I'll use goggles.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 09:59 am   Permalink

You guys are making great progress. That Arbortech wheel story was scary, glad it turned out alright. Thank you for the safety reminder!
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 10:47 am   Permalink

Aloha, What is your sabal going to be? post pics when you get crackin'. You have some bad luck with wood dust...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation