FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Alldo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-17 10:52 am   Permalink

Thanks for the pics and the progress reports. Keep em coming. Your tiki is really taking shape and looking good. I like the golf ball dimples on the lid. Nice job.

[ This Message was edited by: Alldo 2006-01-17 10:53 ]

View Profile of Alldo Send a personal message to Alldo  Email Alldo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 1:08 pm   Permalink

Loki, I'm Really glad you still have all your fingers. It's strange how, when something like that happens, that we can see in slow motion just how it happened and what we should have done to prevent it. It's like you KNEW it was going to happen but you couldn't believe it. Those chain-saw wheels are super dangerous and we Must be constantly aware of where the teeth are headed.

Your carving is coming along great. I am Very Glad to see you stopping to figure out the anatomy of the part you are working on. It's Amazing the difference it makes. THis guy is on the way to becoming a great tiki, your Best yet.

Lady Loki, yours looks to be coming along nicely too. The Moai are not as easy to carve as they seem and take a lot to figure them out. You have an excellent start on him. Where is the small 3" you are working on?

Keep up the good work guys and I can't wait 'til the next JAM!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 1:16 pm   Permalink

Benz, it was the Woodcarver blade, not the chainsaw one...if it had been i think the finger would be gone...I used up one of my get out of jail free cards..

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 2:00 pm   Permalink

Loki, He's looking great, and I LOVE the teeth!

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JimTandem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 2:43 pm   Permalink

Nice looking tiki so far Loki. I agree with the others about how cool it is to work with the wahine. It doesn't get any better than that. Thanks for the safety tips too. I put one in a recent thread also... with so many new people trying buiding and carving stuff it really helps to be reminded or learn from others mistakes. Keep it up and keep the progress pics coming!

View Profile of JimTandem Send a personal message to JimTandem  Email JimTandem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 2:46 pm   Permalink

Either way, you escaped blood free
HappyZHappyHappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 6:54 pm   Permalink

Hey Loki,

Sorry to hear you had a close call...glad to hear you are ok though. One has to watch the power tools. They are good a removing lots of wood, but will also remove anything else they come in contact with.

Your big man is looking real good. Taking it slow and thinking out each step is the best way to figure it out, learn cool techniques, and not kill your carving. He looks real strong and I can't wait to see more updates and watch him come alive. Looks like he stands fairly nicely now. Nice.

I like what you did with the little ficus tiki. I'm glad you guys are enjoying him....I enjoyed making him for you. I can't wait to get back over your way for another jam session. If you see more of that mahogany, coconut, or ficus, snatch it up for me PLEASE!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 05:36 am   Permalink

Ok gang, a little update in Loki's world.

Remember that patu? I havent touched it in a long time and finally picked it up again. I think i finally have the shape i like and have have finished drawing out the face design. I will be inlaying some Paua shells i brought back from NZ in it and I'm waiting for a few new toolz to properly carve the designs, so it still has a bit to go.

The big Marq is slowly making headway. I cut the eyes this weekend after a big debate with myself over the design. Of course when carving starts, the design changes a bit again. Both eyes are rough cut and still need a little love. One lesson learned. Working on a large piece is a different ball game. This guy is so big that just moving him around makes for extra time and set up. I know its taking forever, but he really is a big boy.

Lady Loki, AKA Stump Grinder, her new name as of the Tiki Jam...finished her second tiki, dubbed Robert De Niro...he really did look like him before his final stain. she was not pleased with this tiki, but has learned some lessons and got more carving time. I think he's pretty cool.

Her moai mask got a little work too. I really think this is the coolest piece we have so far. The pics dont give it the porper respect. This is a really cool piece in person. Hang in there for the final on this one.

Alright...thats it for now. Remember to CARVE SAFE and have FUN.

[ This Message was edited by: Loki 2006-01-23 09:41 ]

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 11:49 am   Permalink

Loki and Stump Grinder,

That is some solid work. The Marq looks great, the moai is super, and Robert looks way cool. Keep us updated and carve safe. I would hate to have to start calling you "Lefty".

Oh, and thanks for the wood....I replied to you on my thread,

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 12:12 pm   Permalink

The marq is coming along so very nice. I am a little jealous of the green grass and all the outdoor shots. Now if only I could convincemy wife to give up shopping and start carving...

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 12:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks GMAN.
I did get your message about the wood. Its out side, stacked with a tent tarp over it so they can breath and not touch the ground.

Rodeo, yeah the weather is probably better than what you have, but its muggy and humid, so that makes carving less fun. I cant wait to get this big guy done. I have so many more on the list.

Thanks again for checking in guys.

Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 3:25 pm   Permalink

Dang, these are looking really great. I really do dig the big guy, he just keeps getting better. And I'm quite a fan of the Denerotiki. Thanks for the pics!

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 3:27 pm   Permalink

wow loki, nice marq!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 4:58 pm   Permalink

Loki and StumpGrinder, you guys are really going to town. Loki yours is really beginning to develop character and is looking very precise, and Stumpgrinder, give yourself more credit. That first tiki is really good and the moai is getting there too. Post More pictures, Soon.
Thanks.

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 1:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-23 12:54, Loki wrote:
yeah the weather is probably better than what you have, but its muggy and humid, so that makes carving less fun.

As much as I hate to admit it, I do more carving in the winter than the summer for just that reason. Still, I think I could put up with it for a few days (or a lot more than a few days)

Your carvings look great. The mask looks like it will have a lot of personality.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation