FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 03:23 am   Permalink

Aloha loki!!!!!!!!!
Your tiki is looking Great my friend! Looks like you have been slaying the wood and having fun(glad the power tool incident worked out on the good side for you)Be careful my friend but keep having fun! Sorry i missed the jam i had to work at the fire dept that weekend, but ill try to make it next time! It looked like alot of fun, but the way i hack my friend we might need a pressure washer for the neiborhood to clean the houses(my wife says i'm a little bit messy-and of corse i stated with but honey i'm a boy and boys make messes)it diddnt work! Keep slaying, aloha for now, Mooney

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 07:05 am   Permalink

Loki and StumpGrinder,

Where's the update for Saturday. I know you two have the Foredom set up and that you are going crazy with it down there. We need to see what you're up to. Don't hold out on us.......!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 1:08 pm   Permalink

Cool pictures.

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 06:06 am   Permalink

Sorry for the late update pics.
I was in Daytona this past weekend watching the 24 Hour race, and this little guy was begging to watch the races with me. Just a scrap piece of white pine and a hook knife. Thought i would start carving something small while smelling brake dust, burning petrol and drinking too many beers.

After this little Tang got home, he needed to get the racing grime sanded off...still a work in progress, but i couldn't take the big Marq with me.

Stump Grinder was busy on the moai mask. Caution, Wahine ahead with fire. Now thats hot!

Mr. Moai gets his first bath of stain.

This moai mask is my favorite. The pics do it no justice. Great job my wahine.

HelzTiki stopped by this weekend with his wahine and contributed enough TV syrups to the bar to last a few Tiki Jams. Thanks so much. Now, you have to help us drink them.

More updates to come, and remember, CARVE SAFE!

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 2:50 pm   Permalink

The tang is of to a nice start, was it hard changing scales from the bigger stuff you've made?

I like the torce effect on the mask

So when is the next SoFlo Tiki Jam?
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 7:21 pm   Permalink

Loki, I Really love your little tang, lot of work for just a hook knife. Watch those hook blades I think they are decendants of mosquitoes, they Love blood and will bite when you aren't looking.
StumpGrinder I Love your moai. I think he is turning out fantastic for,what your 3rd or 4th tiki. Can't wait til you get a few more under your belt.
Also I Really love your nickname "Stump Grinder" when are you going to make it official and bjoin with your own identity? Although you and Loki are doing so well together, there are So Few married teams carving so keep what you got!.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-01 05:22 am   Permalink

JP, thanks for the props on the lil tang...i really didnt find it difficult to work small...but i must confess, i have been studying some of Benz Tangs for reference, but dont tell him ...

Benz, ignore what i wrote JP...
Actually, i fear and respect the hook, but you gotta try it to learn how it works. I'm such a noob, that i need to get as much hands on as possible. With regard to the tang, what tool are you using for adding facial lines to yours? I finally got the cheapie flexshaft and Foredom #50 handpiece, but i think it still may be to large for that fine of a line.

Yep, it sure is great carving with the wahine. We have totally let the house go, because our weekends are consumed with log collecting and carving. We arent that good, but we sure do have lots of fun doing this together and thats what its really all about.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-01 6:12 pm   Permalink

Hey, I LOVE the profile of the little guy! Can't wait to see how the small stuff comes out. And the Moai is amazing. Hard to believe that he could look better than when we got to see him in person, but sure enough, he's even more spectacular!

I'm just thrilled that I get to see some of this great stuff first hand, because like you said, the pics don't really do them justice. They're even better in real life.

I'm looking forward to messing up your driveway again soon.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-01 7:17 pm   Permalink

Loki, what I am using are small cylinder burrs in the 1 to 3 mm range and then diamond's to clean it up. That is depending on which one you are looking at. If I remember right those mini tangs I did were all super hard wood that took all power tools. I didn't use the hook at All..All rotary power!
Keep up the good work. You guys have the bug pretty bad. You are lucky in a way. Usually it is the husband that ignores all his chores and gets a big fight started, but with Both of you letting the house go, Who Cares, Right?? Welcome to the world of the Tiki Carvers disease.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-06 05:49 am   Permalink

Weekend update.
The Kotiate is finally finished. I inlaid paua shells brought back from New Zealand. They have a nice green glow to them, different from the abalone we have here in the US. It was my first time working with inlay. Not an easy task especially with the wood i used. I didn't have a nice piece of wood so i used a white pine table top bought cheap at a do it yourself store. Thanks BK for the idea. The only problem with using this wood is its pressed together with layers. When i was adding the decorative lines the wood had a tendency to grab when i came across a new layer. It also made cutting out the inlay holes a bit more difficult. The stain is Red Mahogany from Minwax. Anyway, here is the final product, minus the wrist lanyard.

Worked on the big Marq a little bit. Look at those huge pectoral muscles. What a stud. Didn't get to work on him as much as i wanted to, but at least he is drying out nicely.

StumpGrinder is really on a tear. The Moai mask is complete. He got a mix of Country Pine and Red Mahogany Minwax stain.

Next up is a ficus log. A wayward branch is turning out to be a nice tongue. She really made mad progress with this guy. This is only a few hours of work. I know she has been designing him in her head all week, so she had a good plan. Suddenly, talent rains down on the Stump Grinder. Shes putting me to shame.

Working with the Foredom #50 reciprocating hand piece makes easy work for teeth.

Working with the ficus is very different from the palms we are used to. She actually perfers the ficus.

Thanks for looking and for all the positive comments. It really helps keep us going.
Aloha for now.

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-06 1:12 pm   Permalink

The inlay work makes that club and the Moai mask looks great in it's home. Stumpgrinder's plan for the branch came together really well. I am looking forward to seeing how that finishes up.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 4:34 pm   Permalink

Way to go guys! The moai looks great all finished up; the Speed-Tang looks like a great start; the Marq is definitely coming along nicely; and, the new ficus tongue tiki is way kool.

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 08:24 am   Permalink

Loki, I agree with GMAN, the Marq is gonna be Killer, the Club IS a Killer, the Tang is really raelly neat. Loki the Moai turned out great. I'm glad you like the ficus, it used to be one of my favorite carving woods. hat ficus tiki you have going on there is really fantastic.
I see you got the Foredom Recip carver and it looks like you have learned to use it pretty quickly. Both of you are doing great stuff, can't wait to come to the next Jam...

Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 3:12 pm   Permalink

Loki, Stump Grinder... WOW. Great work! And here I figured you wouldn't be carving this past weekend because the weather was so off. I've got to grab my three craftsman chisels and my hunk of palm and drag them over one of these days...

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-28 08:58 am   Permalink

So what's been going on down there lately? Any more progress?
JP

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation