FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-28 1:14 pm   Permalink

JP,
House projects have taken over the weekends for a while. I have a few new pending projects roughed out, but need to know they are going to work out before i post pics...could be a bunch of fire wood. Going to be traveling this month but i promise to get my arse in gear and post ASAP. Thanks for the faith. We will be carving real soon.

Loki and Stumpgrinder.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 06:25 am   Permalink

Alright gang, its been a long time since a post. However, we have been very busy. The west side of our house had a serious water drainage problem. Last year we dug up the old weed infested sod and threw new sod. The problem was with the new sod, the soil became like an impervious barrier and would not allow water to drain. The moisture problem caused the grass to die and left 4 inches of the non draining soil. Long story, we dug a massive french drain, channeled the water away from the house and put in gutters. End of water problem. The next task was landscaping an area that would not grow grass. So, we designed a plan that elimanated all sod and used hard scaping instead, along with plant beds that would be mulched with pine nuggets or stones. Being that we have a collection of tikis, we thought we'd use them as features along the path. The tiki gardern was born. Currently is has a few tikis Stumpgrinder and i made and a GMAN tiki made during the South Florida Tiki Jam. We have some lighting in there but we are going to be redoing it this weekend to really make it pop. It looks amazing at night, so hopefully i will have some new pics to share next week. These are just a few teazer photos.

We are also resodding the rest of the yard, and removing the existing sod is quite a task and eats into our weekends. Thankfully, Helztiki and AlohaStation gave us some motivation to start carving again. We will be posting some new tikis real soon. We really enjoyed working on this project together and are most pleased with the turn out. Keep checking in for the better pics and the night shots. Thanks for looking.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 10:42 am   Permalink

Nice Loki. Where's the bar? I don't see the bar.

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 10:53 am   Permalink

Wow! Great getaway there! If it weren't for the swamp u never would have gotten a tiki garden. Way to make the lemons into lemonade, and by the way, nice tikis.

ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 3:52 pm   Permalink

Loki,

That looks great! Nice job man! If I remember correctly, it matches the boardwalk/deck at the very back of the Florida room now? I likee

Now we just need better pics of that fab Gman tiki!!!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 07:30 am   Permalink

Nice work, Loki & StumpGrinder. The dry rock bed really works.

Really looking forward to hanging with both of you really soon.
C'mon Tiki Jam

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 08:10 am   Permalink

As promised, new lighting and new pics at night. We are 90% finished with the tiki garden and as new tikis are aquired we'll add them to their new home. Spent most of the weekend putting in a new sprinkler system and messing with sod, but also got some more work on the never ending Marq.

These are some of the new lighting we put in. They are a brand called Malibu and we found them at one of the big home improvment stores. They can use 4 or 11 watt bulbs depending on mood. And we also installed 35 watt spots to highlight the tikis.

The pond is a 60 gallon pre formed resovior. We made the fountain out of copper pipe and flat landscaping pavers by drilling holes through them and attaching the copper pipe to them, allowing water to trickle off the top of the rocks. We used rail road ties to surround the pond and then then landscaped around to make it seem likes its been there forever. We actually did the pond months ago, but it was part of the master plan for the tiki garden.

Finally the Marq has some legs to stand on. I really took away a lot of wood and I'm doing most of it with hand chisels so its taking a long time, but i am starting to get the look i want. I finally feel an end in sight for this guy.Still more depth in some places, but he's starting to come along. I have a ton of new ideas just ready to go, but i want to finish him up first.

Thanks for looking.

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 08:42 am   Permalink

Wow , thanks for giving me a case of yard envy again. Theres some great ideas you guys have come up with , like the fountain. And as for the marq , the longer you take the better he will be. Its coming along beautifully.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 4:51 pm   Permalink

Yes, yes indeedy. That's good stuff! I love the lights and new planting. Top shelf, all around. The Marq is looking good, time to finish him up and start on that Lono! Better get sanding.....

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 08:56 am   Permalink

Loki, That Marq is really coming along great. I like the legs a lot. And what can I say about your gardens but fabulous. From seeing it first hand, and knowing that the pics can't do it justice, it must look absolutely incredible at night. I'm just looking forward to seeing the Marquesan back there.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-05 08:13 am   Permalink

Loki, your Marq is turning into one Serious Tiki and is looking Great. I Absolutely Love your new tiki garden. It is starting to look a bit like the MaiKai and I too am developing a spot of "Yard Envy". You guys are doing a Wonderful job on your place.
ONLY 17 More days to GO...Can't wait.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-05 10:46 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone. It has been a labor of love and a necessary task to keep the water out of the house. We just embellished it a bit with the tiki garden. We cant wait to see how it evolves once the plants grow and more tikis are added or how it will hold up in another hurricane...ya gotta make light of that living down here....

Benz, it does remind me of an ultra mini slice of the Mai-Kai garden and the water feature really gives it a great relaxing sound. We spend so much of our time outside that it has become another room to the house. We cant wait to host the Tiki Jam in a couple of weeks and look forward to seeing the South Florida Ohana again.

Now where did i leave my chisels?

Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 06:53 am   Permalink

I have some small pieces of Florida Mohogany and wanted to try a small desktop tiki with a strict time limit of no more than 3 hours. He is far from a traditional tiki but was fun to work on. Even these little guys take a lot of time. My point in this lesson, is to learn the tools better and to speed up production. I still have a long way to go on both accounts. However, as long as the chips are flying the lessons are being learned.

The plaque in the background is the official South Florida Tiki Jam 2 sign. Each participant hopefully will add to it and we will finish is at the end of the jam. It will have a little style from all the carvers who attend the Tiki Jam.

More coming soon. Thanks for looking.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 07:24 am   Permalink

Loki, Nice tiki, Especially for 3 hours. That seems to be a great way to get familiar with all your tools. The time limit forces you to be resourceful and find better, quicker ways to remove wood and Thats what it's all about.
NINE DAZE ))

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 09:16 am   Permalink

Wow, I really like the smaller guy. Especally the eyes, brow and head. It's a great style. I can really appreciate you pushing yourself to improve your craft, and it's quite inspiring.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation