FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 4:24 pm   Permalink

Glad to see that you are carving again. Three hour turned out nice and the plaque is a really neat idea. Wish I could be there for Jam No.2.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 05:54 am   Permalink

Guess who wants to say "Hi"....finally?

Golf ball head is finally finished...less his poly coats...he has been a long time in the making, but I'm happy with the results. Far from perfect, but a great lesson. I can tell the difference from when I started him months ago, to the final cuts recently, that I've got a little better eye and my cuts are improving. While he in not completely traditional, he does have some elements that are true and some special loki elements...well not special, but experiements...

His color is called Deep Ebony. At first I almost stopped and went with a lighter color, but the darker deep chocolate brown makes him look bold and I think it works.

Thanks for checking in on this never ending tiki...Rodeo...do i get the trophy for the longest carving?

Just before his stain...

More projects are coming...hang in there.....

[ This Message was edited by: Loki 2006-04-20 07:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: loki 2006-04-21 04:54 ]

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 06:03 am   Permalink

Loki, Marc the Golfer looks wonderful. You are right the dark stain adds to it. Be sure to show us pics of it in the new garden.
Now what are you going to do next?
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 06:09 am   Permalink

Loki, this guy is Sweet! I Really love the stain and the head dimples are really neat. Very Well done. Can't wait to see this guy in person.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 06:44 am   Permalink

He looks great. I love the color - it will look really rich when you get the poly on. After all the time you put in on hime do you have a special place of honor for him?

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 12:51 pm   Permalink

Nice work Loki... clean and crisp.

Marqs are my favorite and you've captured all the best of one!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 4:08 pm   Permalink

Way to go Loki! I agree, he looks fantastic. Good call on the stain. I have that deep ebony too, and it scares me. The finish will look much deeper and refined once you have a few coats of spar or poly on him. Very, very, nice work. An absolutely choice carving. Be proud!

I think you should keep him inside though, down in your Florida room maybe? He's too nice to be rotting outside.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 4:17 pm   Permalink

Nice Marq!
When I read the title of the thread I thought maybe I'd see a wee little round marquesan tiki

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 9:12 pm   Permalink

Nice tiki...good job! I have always believed longer time spent is better.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 9:15 pm   Permalink

Kick A$$ work, Loki. Marq mon is looking amazing. You deserve a serious pat on the back for your efforts. Nothing wrong with an art work taking a while to develop. Journey as well as the product, which sounds like you definately got. Double kudos.

Rock on! Cant' wait to see big boy Marq on Saturday. Are y'all seriously going to start at 8 Am?

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 9:43 pm   Permalink

nice job Loki...is he using a ball-washer? Very impressive tiki...

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-20 10:11 pm   Permalink

Really cool, great job, I really like the deep ebony look

Tahitiki

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 05:19 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone for you comments...i should always take this long...

I am going to take GMAN's advice and keep him inside for now. StumpGrinder has different thoughts, but the Marq stood up for himself and demanded to be in the Florida room. Hopefully not as a cat scratching post. I pity any cat who messes with him.

I have no idea what to do next...any ideas?

Mahalo again for looking..it keeps me going sometimes.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 07:18 am   Permalink

Loki,

How about trying a full body Tang from your ficus stash? That's probably the next step up in difficulty....and you have all the tools needed.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 07:25 am   Permalink

Awsome work, truly awsome. I love the presence this guy has. I think he's perfect to stand guard in the Florida Room. I bet those cats stay in line with him around keeping an eye on things. And I have to go with GMAN on the recomendation, I think everybody needs a tangaroa sitting around. Or maybe a little something with Moko?

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation