FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Uses for orange flower water and orange bitters?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Uses for orange flower water and orange bitters?
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 12:27 pm   Permalink

Yesterday I came across Orange Blossom Water, Rose Water, Orange Bitters, Mint Bitters and Peach Bitters(bitters by Fee Brothers). Also Pomegranate Concentrate made from actual pomegranates! Italian Delis have so many great things.

I only bought the Orange Bitters and the Orange Blossom water.

I swear I've seen them mentioned in drink recipes, but so far I've only been able to find one or two for each.(navy grog and something from Intoxica! I think)

Anyone know of any good ones?

I think I'm going to buy the pamegranate stuff and chuck my bottles of Rose's garbage.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-05 2:27 pm   Permalink

Orange bitters are usually a good addition to any gin drink.

Orange flower water is primarily used for aroma, since shaken cocktails are usually too cold to smell much like anything. You make the cocktail, shake and strain and all that, and then add a few dashes of orange flower water to the drink before serving.

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 2:44 pm   Permalink

Thanks mbanu,
I'm kind of looking for specific recipes, but I'll definitely be doing some experimenting.
-Tw

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 3:34 pm   Permalink

TW I know this is not the answer you want, but I put a half teaspoon of the orange blossom in my tea (Earl Grey or Ceylon etc.) along with some fresh mint and I brew it . It is fantastic, try it.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 3:37 pm   Permalink

Hey that sounds great!
Being the tea fiend that I am, I must try it!

I've also heard of it used in fruit salads and in drinks served at the Mai Kai.

captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 4:35 pm   Permalink

Get Dr. Cocktails book latest book. It is full of old drinks that use orange bitters.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 10:13 pm   Permalink

for a Ramos Fizz you"ll need the orange flower water...
aloha!

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-06 10:04 am   Permalink

Thanks Captnkirk! I'll have to keep my eyes open for that one.

Tiki Rider, do you have good recipe for that? Or will looking online bring up something acceptable?

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-12-06 11:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-06 10:04, Tikiwahine wrote:

Well you can stop looking because it's right
here.

This really is a great book. And hey, even bigbrotiki gives it a plug.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-06 4:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-06 10:04, Tikiwahine wrote:

Tiki Rider, do you have good recipe for that? Or will looking online bring up something acceptable?

from the Ultimate A-TO-Z Bar Guide...Ramos Fizz

recipe #1
2 oz gin
2 oz cream
1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz fresh lime juice
2 drops orange flower water
1 tsp powdered sugar
1/2 cup cracked ice
cold club soda
orange slice

Combine all ingredients except club soda and orange slice in a blender. Cover and process at medium speed until smooth, 15 to 20 seconds. Pour into chilled collins glass. Top with club soda; garnish with orange slice.

recipe #2 (not sure where I found this one at, just have it written down on piece of paper)
1 1/4 oz gin
1/4 oz orange juice
1 oz sweet-sour mix
1 egg white
1/4 oz simple sryrup
1/8 oz orange flower water
2 oz milk or cream or half n half
1 oz soda water
ice

Combine all ingredients in a blender except soda water. Blend until smooth. Pour into chilled collins glass. Top with soda water; garnish with a cherry and orange twist.

aloha!

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-06 4:16 pm   Permalink

Woo! Thanks TR!
I'm going to have to try those soon, I also bought some sweet & sour concentrate.

Yummies!

JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-08 7:42 pm   Permalink

TW,
Here's one that I've never made correctly due to no orange blossom water (or gardenia for that matter). It's great w/o and should be awesome when done up correctly. Recipe from "Trader Vic's Tiki Party" book that came out in the last year.

Tiki Puka Puka
- 3 oz. TV's Navy Grog Mix
- 1 oz. orange juice
- 1 oz. lemon juice
- 1 oz. silver rum
- 1 oz. dark rum
- 1 oz. 151-proof Demerara rum
- Dash grenadine
- 1 cup crushed ice, plus additional ice cubes
- 1 gardenia for garnish
- Dash of orange flower water for garnish

Combine Grog Mix, juices, rums, grenadine and crushed ice in a blender and pulse for a few seconds, just until uniformly combined. Pour into double old-fashioned glass or individual scorpion bowl. Add ice cubes to fill. Garnish with gardenia and a dash of orange blossom water sprinkled on top.

-JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 07:08 am   Permalink

Most of the older recipes for the Manhattan call for orange bitters (eventually just changed to bitters as orange bitters became hard to locate...And probably general ignorance/and or indifference helped as well). The Manhattan is a good drink for orange bitters to shine in as the only other ingredients are bourbon (another modern change, it was commonly rye or Canadian whiskey in the old recipes and that's still the way to go with a lot of folks) and sweet vermouth.

The Manhattan is a classic cocktail which most everyone has heard of but many have never tried, so it makes a great offering for guests who like to try new things. Just about anyone with taste likes them. (For the others there's always the dry vodka Martini.)

Recipes vary with ratio of bourbon to sweet vermouth usually being the largest difference (and there are also recipes that call for dry vermouth). Experimentation on the way to your ideal Manhattan is a fortunate necessity.

The Manhattan also makes a good guest drink as it ideally should be made in a pitcher, so making several at once is easy. (To quote thejab "The only thing worse than a shaken martini is a shaken Manhattan full of foam that won't go away.")

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-12 12:54 pm   Permalink

That looks like a great recipe JTD, I'm looking forward to it. I have been unable to find a source for navy grog mix(Trader Vic's doesn't seem to ship to Canada)but I found one right here by TC member WillTiki.

Woofmutt, I am going try a Manhattan with the traditional orange bitters, thanks for all the interesting information!

I was all geared up to partake in some experimentation this past weekend, but a bad cold with the chills has brought that to a stand still. Drat!

PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-12 9:03 pm   Permalink

Somewhere I have a great recipe for a Ramos Gin Fizz. Tastes just like they make it at the Sazerac Bar at the Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans. I'll post it if I can find it.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation