FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Uses for orange flower water and orange bitters?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Uses for orange flower water and orange bitters?
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-21 07:13 am   Permalink

Some may disagree, but the original martini called for orange bitters. I have a good collection of cocktail books, and many of the oldest ones call for it.

Also, an equal measure of gin and french vermouth is common among these older recipes.

So... equal parts gin and dry vermouth, two dashes of orange bitters, stir in a pitcher with cracked ice... enjoy.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-10-27 12:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-12 21:03, PiPhiRho wrote:
Somewhere I have a great recipe for a Ramos Gin Fizz. Tastes just like they make it at the Sazerac Bar at the Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans. I'll post it if I can find it.

Yes please Paul!

And for everyone else, as far as the Orange Flower Water goes, if you make your own orgeat, it's a key ingredient.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Pop
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-29 6:21 pm   Permalink

the Ramos gin fizz that Bartender Chris McMillian does on youtube is the best ever. check out his other recipes there too.

aloha!

View Profile of Tiki Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Pop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-20 12:53 pm   Permalink

Here is a cocktail recipe that uses orange flower water. I found this tasty and easy to make.
One jigger gin, 1/2 jigger dry vermouth, 1/2 jigger triple sec, 2 drops orange flower water. Shake with ice, strain into martini glass, enjoy.
Also, I have a question on the Ramos Gin Fizz. I made one without any egg ingredient, and it tasted like alka seltzer and I didnt like it. Plus the powdered sugar wouldnt dissolve and made ugly clumps in the glass. Whats the best way to get sugar to dissolve in a cocktail?

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-20 5:49 pm   Permalink

The egg white greatly improves a Ramos Gin Fizz. Use the pasteurized liquid egg white that you can get at pretty much any supermarket. It comes in a little carton that look like a milk carton. Use a blender to make the ramos. I have never had a problem getting the sugar to disolve using a blender. If you still have a problem then it is the cornstarch in the confectioners sugar that is the problem. You could try using superfine sugar instead.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-20 7:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-20 17:49, PiPhiRho wrote:
The egg white greatly improves a Ramos Gin Fizz. Use the pasteurized liquid egg white that you can get at pretty much any supermarket. It comes in a little carton that look like a milk carton. Use a blender to make the ramos. I have never had a problem getting the sugar to disolve using a blender. If you still have a problem then it is the cornstarch in the confectioners sugar that is the problem. You could try using superfine sugar instead.

Thanks! I did not use a blender, my recipe said shaker, which was a bad idea. I will try the Ramos in a blender w/ the egg white. You know, this leads me to another cocktail mixing question, my Trader Vics' bartender's guide mentions "bar sugar" frequently, what is that? I dont want to use the wrong kind. Thanks in advance for an answer!

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-11-20 7:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-20 19:06, TikiGoddess wrote:
... my Trader Vics' bartender's guide mentions "bar sugar" frequently, what is that? I dont want to use the wrong kind. Thanks in advance for an answer!

Bar sugar would be the same as superfine sugar. The granules are smaller than your typical sugar but larger than powdered sugar. It desolves more easily. I have heard that you can put regular sugar in a blender and make your own "superfine" sugar but I have yet to try this 'cause the superfine sugar is pretty easy to find at my local supermarket.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-20 9:10 pm   Permalink

Wouldn't it be easiest to make your own rock candy syrup? Just a sugar syrup that most of us tiki cocktail makers have on hand anyhow?

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-21 10:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-20 21:10, Tikiwahine wrote:
Wouldn't it be easiest to make your own rock candy syrup? Just a sugar syrup that most of us tiki cocktail makers have on hand anyhow?

Would this alter a recipe to a bad degree? Would the proportions be the same?

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-21 11:34 pm   Permalink

when shaking a ramos gin fizz, you have to shake for at least 2 minutes. Really. They say 15.
The result is amazing. I love that cocktail.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-22 10:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-21 23:34, virani wrote:
when shaking a ramos gin fizz, you have to shake for at least 2 minutes. Really. They say 15.
The result is amazing. I love that cocktail.

Fifteen minutes would be quite the workout!!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-04 9:01 pm   Permalink

Picked up some Orange Blossom Water at a middle eastern market today 'cuz it looked interesting and cost under 2 bucks. Smells very perfumy and taste like SOAP!!! I can't imagine a drink would taste good with any more than a drop or 2 in it

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 9:14 pm   Permalink

yeah, it's mainly for bouqet imo, as some noted above.

re the Ramos Gin Fizz, i'm in the controversial camp that also adds a drop or two of vanilla...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 12:53 pm   Permalink

Orange flower water and rose water are integral to homemade orgeat.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blueeyedtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-09 09:39 am   Permalink

I use orange bitters when I make an Old Fashioned. Equal drops of angostura and orange bitters really brings out the orange aromas, especially if you add a twisted orange peel. (I never muddle fruit in my old fashioned).

View Profile of blueeyedtiki Send a personal message to blueeyedtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation