FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-23 4:00 pm   Permalink

Re: Rat Fink!
So! That's where we got it!!! Thanks for the history! Wait until I tell my sisters! Auntie B

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-26 11:49 pm   Permalink

Am still wrestling with finals on Book.. Am supposed to be getting next to final galley today! Right!! Auntie B.

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-09 1:10 pm   Permalink

Avast! Ye Mateys! All those not having fun will be keel hauled, then hoisted up the mast and tickled with a potato chip.. or maybe cooked spaghetti! (That was our threat to our other sisters when we were fighting! How tame it sounds now!)
There is a gathering Aug 20th at "Royal Palms State Park " In San Pedro, CA, Our old home, from noon on.. a "Hang Loose poT luck finger food Luau"! Or just drop in! BUT.. bring your ukuleles!
Too bad we didn't coordinate better because of the huge Catalina.. and long Beach to-do's.. Will do better next year!! Hope to meet at least a few of you!
Used yto sail to Catalina nearly every weekend during the summers from age 12 on.. BEEEEUUUUtiful!!!
Auntie Bungy

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-09 1:26 pm   Permalink

Bungy, I might be able to make this one. I hope I hope I hope, would be nice to meet you after all this.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-10 1:44 pm   Permalink

to hiltiki!!!
HURRAH!!!! Auntie B.

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-10 1:55 pm   Permalink

We just paid a visit to The Cove this weekend -- if you love Bungy's stories (and who doesn't?), and you find yourself anywhere near San Pedro, you must swing by to check it out. It's great fun standing in such a beautiful locale, imagining living there, and reliving Bungy's tales in your head.

I posted our pictures in the Eli Hedley's Home thread in Locating Tiki:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20219&forum=2&1

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu 2006-07-10 13:55 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 11:34 am   Permalink

Somewhere, in the vast expanse of the world wide web, there may be something cooler than this thread; but, I haven't found it. What's the status on the book? Edit: jeez, I just realized it's available already. I've got to get with the program!

[ This Message was edited by: saxotica 2006-10-21 14:15 ]

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-27 10:25 pm   Permalink

The book is fantastic!
Makes me wish I had lived it.
Thanks Auntie Bungy!
p.s.--
it was nice talking with you @ Hukilau

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Karbora
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-29 5:52 pm   Permalink

Aunt Bungy's book - View form the Top of the Mast is chock full of tales of adventure that is a delight to read. Her imaginative words bring all of her childhood memories to life, and you can visualize what it would have been like to live life at the Cove. I wish I had read the book before I met her at Hukilau as I would have had a much better appreciation for how special and unique she really is. I can't imagine the freedom one must have felt growing up in those circumstances. How wonderful that you appreciated what you had and as you said more than once in the book...."Go For It"! What I wouldn't give for just one night sleeping under the stars at the Cove I can understand how many went for a visit and ended up staying!

Some thoughts from the book.....
Did you keep any of the saki glasses that Eli was famous for making? I would love to see one of those in person.
Whatever happened to your matchbook collection. It sounds like it was a labor of love to keep them properly displayed!
What time of the year was the Annual Polynesian Luau at the Cove? What an incredible, authentic experience.
Do you still have your original sea bag from the Resolute and the following years? It would be hard parting with something that was the only item that was familiar to you as you headed out on those unchartered south sea adventures.
What about the outrigger canoe you bought in Bora-Bora? Where did it end up? That certainly tops any souvenir purchases I have made in my travels!
You met Thor Heyerdahl....I had to pause when I got to that passage and take that thought in slowly.
One of my favorite parts of the book was the first time you arrived at the Bay of Hiva Roa...that is true, pure adventure.

Now I know Aunt Bungy to never offer you an Orange Crush! I will however take your advice as offered by one of the most worldly and wise people I have ever had the pleasure of meeeting...Always ride the giant sea turtle if you get the chance.

Thanks for the great time I had reading your book.

Karbora

[ This Message was edited by: Karbora 2006-10-29 17:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Karbora 2006-10-29 17:57 ]

View Profile of Karbora Send a personal message to Karbora      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-06 1:46 pm   Permalink

to Korabora! it was a real pleasure meeting you at Hukilau 2006.. you are one to "ride the trail with" as the cowboys say!
You are so kind with your words regarding View From The Top Of The Mast! It was a labor of LOVE!!

We owned 12 cabins on a beautiful river in 1978, and were into the good life in the Cowboy Capital of the World, Bandera, Texas.. when it started raining and didn't stop until the North prong of the river joined the west prong of the same river, and dwon came a wall of rushing water 57' high.. we lost a couple of cabins and a couple of roofs, and all our wordly possessions, including my logs of my sailboat trips. A few days afetr the flood, my foot found the log to Te Vega trip.. and I pulled it out of 2 feet of mud, let it dry out, and brushed the mud off! What a treasure that is!! After about 2 or 3 months.. one didn't really miss anyhting except for 5 generation photos! and my logs.. all else could be replaced! So.. on goes life!
Re; saki bottles! My daughter went to an antique show recently and came in bringing me a RED fishfloat in a net! A 2'across ships wheel which now stands in front of my fireplace.. and the perfect saki bottle, whcih I now take to book sigings for tell and show!!
I will be back in Ca on Dec 5 at the Corner Store in San Pedro, from around 9-11..in case any of you are around! It is about 2 miles from the Cove, and where we used to get the bus to and from school.

Loads of Aloha to you ALL!!! Auntie Bungy

bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-06 1:59 pm   Permalink

I hadn't realized what a good time I had growing up until I began writing the book!! I just thought everyone lived like that!! DUH!!! Thanks for the kind words!! Hope to see ya agina over the bounding main.. Much Aloha, Auntie Bungy

bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-06 2:07 pm   Permalink

For Korabora's list of questions!

My sea bag was hauled around for a while.. with baby clothes in it!! and finally deep sixed!
The 12' Bora Bora Outrigger sailing canoe, ended up in Reno or Tahoe on the wall of some elegant tropical restaurant (maybe Top of the Wheel? or Johhny Asquaga's)) afetr I married!! Daddy just couldn't stand not putting it somewhere beautiful!

My match book collection went the way of all kids collections.. when I started shipping out on sail boats! Who cared about match books!! Auntie Bungy

WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-25 10:07 pm   Permalink

Aloha Aunt Bungy ~ Today Soccer Tiki and I had the opportunity to visit Royal Palms State Park. WoooHoooo! What a treat!! Thank you for sharing your stories with us

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shakatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 10:50 pm   Permalink

Aloha Auntie Bungy!
I am a friend of Bens and also have a little shop (only it's over in Costa Mesa) called house of tiki. I really enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to the book. I am trying to dig up more info on my Grandfather who was also in Tahiti and throughout the south pacific around the time you were there. His name is Truman Bailey and he was down there on commission by Life Mag. and National Geo. in the late 30's and early 40's. He was also commissioned by "Gumps" in search of trinkets, arts and crafts and exotic fabrics. His life was a bit of a mystery because he disappeared from his family for quite some time. He went on to start up the institute of Manual Arts in Lima Peru, and that's where he finished out his (rather short) life. I have the magazine articles and his book "Polynesian Venture". Just wondering if maybe you crossed paths at any time in your travels? It's such "a small world after all" and it sounds as though you've seen much of it. I head to Samoa in 2 days to deliver some of his tapas to the museum in Apia, (actually there is a post close by with more info). I would love to meet you when I get back. Ben has said many wonderful things about you.
Sincerely, Wes Johnson

View Profile of shakatiki Send a personal message to shakatiki  Email shakatiki Goto the website of shakatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 11:41 pm   Permalink

Wow, THAT'S your grandfather? I love California, it is truly the birthplace of Polynesian Pop, the place where individuals followed their dream...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation