FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 12:02 am   Permalink

Heyloha!

Bungy just got married in Texas and is getting married again in Cali. in March and then in Hawaii after that.

Not sure how much posting she'll be doing in the next few months.

Just a warning if she doesn't get back here for a while.

( yes wise ass people! all to the same man!!)

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shakatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 09:55 am   Permalink

Ben,
Your Aunt sounds really cool. I'd love to meet her (when shes in town) and talk story. Let me know when shes gonna visit. Gotta get one of those books! A HUI HO!!!!

View Profile of shakatiki Send a personal message to shakatiki  Email shakatiki Goto the website of shakatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 10:01 am   Permalink

CONGRATS to Auntie Bungy and her new man!
Many happy and healthy years to the two of you!

Much Love,
K.

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 10:34 am   Permalink

Sounds like new material for Book 2 or even Book 3!!! Congrats, Bungy! I read "View from the Top of the Mast" while in Maui this last November. I then passed it to another person who also read it, and he passed it to someone who took it with her to American Samoa, since she was moving there temporarily. Who knows where the book will end up??

What a life, Bungy!! Eagerly awaiting the next chapters of your fantastic life....

Iorana!
Myke

PS Great pics WooHoo and Soccertiki!! That must be the fireplace of Bungy's house and dance hall. WOW, what history.

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 12:58 am   Permalink

I didn't even know this thread existed until about two hours ago, when I logged on to go to the other Hedley/Cove thread, and then found reference to this one.

Sorry I'm so late to the party, but bungy...just incredible! Thank You sooooooo much!

Wow! Been a real Hedley day for me! Let me explain...

We're renovating an old church here in San Pedro...converting to mixed residential loft, office, and retail. I've made several visits to the Royal Palms and The Cove over the last several months, and just love the area. Being born and raised in the Newport Beach and Corona Del Mar areas...I feel right at home here.

Anyway, I've spent many days over the last several weeks with the wonderful folk at the San Pedro Historical Society, and their extensive archives...researching the history of our building and looking for photos, articles, documents, etc, etc. Today I finished a little early and so I asked..."What have you got on the Royal Palms and the Hedleys?"

Several hours later after having dug through hundreds of old White Point photographs, I had made several scans with my laptop and portable scanner of some photos from that era, and I'll post them now. A few you have already seen in Ben's posts, but these might be better images. And perhaps you Hedleys can answer a question or two that popped up in the course of looking them over? Thanks!

First there's this shot, which you've seen before in this thread:

...but here's a close-up from it of the family:

Next we have what I'm guessing was the transition of The Cove to the old Royal Palms area?

Which brings up one of my first questions. Did your family also own the old Royal Palms dance area with the stone fireplaces and all? And/or did you use them for your luaus and parties and such? I ask because I came across these...

This one looks like it has the same stage or table that's in one of Ben's photos. Definitely looks like it was being used for a luau.

And this is just a nice shot of the old lily pond that I guess was once there too. Not sure if this is from the same period though. No date on it but it was bunched with the other Hedley ones:

Next is this one. It's marked "Hedley Home" but not sure what it is actually. An out building perhaps? Is that one of "the boys" hauling some driftwood there?

Now I know it's hard to see clearly in this one as it's almost too dark, but who's the little one that's hanging up the laundry while Eli works with a net?

And here's Eli working on something else...

Now here's a wide shot of a good portion of the Royal Palms terrace area.

In the actual full sized photo of the above, there's lots of interesting details to "zoom in" on. But one tiny little bit really caught my eye. It's on the very right of that wide shot. What looks to be a face peeking out from behind a palm. Here's a close-up of that section:

Now either I've got tiki on the brain, or this is a tiki Rorschach test or something...but doesn't that look a bit like a big tiki head there? Any ideas what that is? If that's a mouth...I know it's not the same tiki, but it looks to be a similar type mouth to the one on the right in this photo of Ben's from the Hedley tiki carving grounds on Katella in Anaheim:

Again...some of those might not even be from the same Hedley period. Most were not marked and I only included them here because they were "batched" with some other Hedley photos, and I felt they could be.

Anyway...hope you all enjoy the pictures. Been a fun day!

Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: PremEx 2007-03-20 01:05 ]

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 11:15 pm   Permalink

Next is this one. It's marked "Hedley Home" but not sure what it is actually. An out building perhaps? Is that one of "the boys" hauling some driftwood there?
------------------------------------------------------------

Was part of a workshop. And, the litle blonde one is my mom.

aka the Elf.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 12:42 pm   Permalink

I have just finished reading this post and all of the links provided by everyone; it took me two days but what an experience. Of course I did have to work occasionally. I hate it when my work interferes with my TC time.

...WOW, these stories just fascinated me. I hope I can still surf, tap dance, and "etc." in my 70's. Bungy, you inspire us all.

THANKS for everything and I hope you visit us again really soon. Surely the honeymoon is over by now.

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 1:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-20 23:15, RevBambooBen wrote:
Was part of a workshop. And, the litle blonde one is my mom.

aka the Elf.

Thanks!

Wow. It's just amazing visiting that area now to think that some family was lucky enough to actually live there, and generate a perfectly fine livelihood off the flotsam and jetsam and natural artifacts from the sea! And on top of that the tremendous quality of life, and the fun of the time spent living there, and all the various characters that ended up on that beach...as documented by bungy in this tread...it's just amazing to think of now. Just amazing.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 10:35 pm   Permalink

Speaking of the Cove aka Royal Palms aka Whites Point...

...took the Boo family there today to go hang out.

There seemed to be some sort of happening going on.....

Looked like a cool aloha style wedding..........

We ended up meeting the happy couple and ended up at their reception after............

Congrats Bungy and Roland!!! They met 55 years ago!!!

......and, then to the after reception party.......

Bungy moved back out to San Pedro but probably won't be back on TC for a month or so until she is completely organized. They're actually going to Hawaii to get married again next week. Traditional Hawaiian Style with her Hawaiian Ohana. And....they were married a few weeks ago in Texas!!

Aloha,

The Bamboo Ben Tribe.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 10:48 pm   Permalink

Congrats Bungy and hubby!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 11:23 pm   Permalink

Congrats, you wild couple you!
Nothing like four honeymoons, YA!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 11:31 pm   Permalink

Congratulations and Best Wishes to you both!

SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-24 11:45 pm   Permalink

Congrats Auntie Bungy! Ben-why didn't you let us know in advance?

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 11:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-24 23:45, SoccerTiki wrote:

We just kinda stumbled upon it!
Did you not read the post!!??

Arrr!!!

Was kind of a family thing this time. I'm sure there will be other happenings in the near future down there now that Bungy is back in town.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-25 12:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-24 23:53, RevBambooBen wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-03-24 23:45, SoccerTiki wrote:

We just kinda stumbled upon it!
Did you not read the post!!??

Arrr!!!

Was kind of a family thing this time. I'm sure there will be other happenings in the near future down there now that Bungy is back in town.

We had sooooo much fun meeting Bungy and the family last time! We trekked down to the cove a few weeks back and can feel the vibes (after reading "How Daddy Became A Beachcomber" and "A View From the Mast".....)

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation