FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 08:09 am   Permalink

I just received the Life Mag. (1/21/46 )
with Eli in it. This place has a few in stock if anyone is interested.

www.2neatmagazines.com

They were very prompt!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-01-09 12:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-08 08:09, RevBambooBen wrote:
I just received the Life Mag. (1/21/46 )
with Eli in it. This place has a few in stock if anyone is interested.

http://www.2neatmagazines.com

They were very prompt!

I'm sold! And hey, it also includes an article on a two headed baby. You can't beat that! What a deal!!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 09:45 am   Permalink

I also just scored the "Wall Street Journal" article !!!!

Been looking for that one for ever!! The long lost article!!

got it here...
www.rarenewspapers.com

They ( WSJ) messed up on the last name. Hadley instead of Hedley.

( Sven and James, don't feel so bad now

I should have it by next week and will share if I get my scanner working.

Arrrrr!!!

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-01-12 09:49 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-13 12:38 pm   Permalink

Greetings and Salutations! Actually I greeted yesterday...but just before I pressed the submit key.. the electricity went off and was off for 2 hours! A squirrel got into the transformer!!! But.. I lost a bunch.. so will start all over! AAARGH!
Re PIX from Bamboo Ben:
# 4. the house was taken from low tide point of view.. it is very weathered because of constant spray from full moon high tides. The lower windows are etched with salt. The flotsum and jetsum on the beach is the high tide mark, and shows the difference between the beaches of today.. and yesteryore! All boats, ships, etc., just threw everyhting into the sea.. garbage, which the fish ate, that crate was probably a produce crate for celery or lettuce, hatch covers that were washed over in the storms, and on a nd on. No wonder Daddy was able to make a living Beach combing! Remmember .. there was no plastic at that time!
#5. That is Flo and Daddy with the big board that was from our own beach! Mother, Ben's mom,Ba, and Mare in back ground. Our home would be at the very end of pix in background.
#6. From this pix you get an idea of how long the Cove was, with the house at one end, and the outside terrazo dance floor at the other! The entry way was huge, heavy gates made of 2X6's. One day, when it was very rainey and stormy, I was about 15, and was riding my bicycle home from school. Our home was at the bottom of a 250' cliff, and as I was riding down the road, my hand brakes gave out due to the mud and rain. I was probably going 30mph, when I hit the bottom and had to decide in 2 seconds whether to go off the road into tons of mud at the side.. or.. hit the big gates and hope that the chain wasn't around them! Well! Being adventurous at all times! I hit the gate.. they flew open, I flew through, and they banged back again right behind me!
#7. The huge mast had washed up on our beach before we moved there.. and it stayed for our "journey". I beleive this was a photo op for American Mg. from rt: Ba, Bungy, Mare, Flo, Mohter (alias Goerge Malcome), and Eli.
#8 (last); from rt: Flo, Daddy, Bungy, Ba, Mother, Mare.. in front yard of house. We always had all kinds of interesting things just lying aroudn waiting for the next deccorarting job.. like the ship's wheel! In our front yard we had an old dingy filled with fish floats. Our front door was a row boat set on end with the bottom knowcke dout. Our doorbell was a zither, which soem gusets even tried to play! Mare used to paint Renoirs on the bottom panels.. in fact she painted Gaugins on the walls of our bathroom, too!
Hope this gets off this time! Muaruru! Auntie Bungy

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-13 12:57 pm   Permalink

Post script to GatorRob! I was in Tahiti, crewing on Te Vega, 134' sailing schooner, and went to General Delivery to pick up any mail. There was one from my parents telling me that they had disisted beachcombing and were now in a place called "Disneyland, doing a brisk business selling tropical ebverything! The description was so off the wall, that I put the letter in the bottom of my sea bag, and continued on until we finally got to Hawaii. I flew home, and was drivien straight to Disneyland and Advebntureland.. where I was shown how to use the register and make change. It wa so wild in those first few years that there was no need to "sell" only to take money! We were in what was called the Bazaar, and during the five years of biz there, had anywhere from 2 (permanent ) shops to 6 others, as they would come available when people went out of biz. You ordered ddecasl with Disneyland on them, and slapped them on EVERYTHING! It ook about 4-5 yeras fro Disney to figure out theat they should be selling the souvenirs!! We had a great variety of shells for collections, and also the small pink murex shells at 3/$1.00! A huge stack of them at all times. Then, we had a huge basket of Ti leaves from Hawaii..also 3/1.00, and we couldn't keep those in stock. We'd sell like at least 4 gross a day. And the other item that was small and sold so well, were the Tiki charm necklaces! They were $1.25 ea.! We hung them off limbs of driftwood, and with a Disneyland decal.. they flew out of there! We had cases of the giant blue butterfly jewelry from Brazil, plus butterflies for collectors. Lots of small tikis, tropical decor.. and whatever.. Then, we had a whole jewelry shopp, too. Dwight Long went in to partners in that with us. He was the one who started me sailing at 12, and got me on a screw for long ocean voyages. He had sailed around the world and wrote the Book "Seven Seas on a ShoeString" and also had a lecture series called "Arm Chair Adventures" and thru him I met Allan Villiers, Irving Johnson, Ed Fabian, Omer Darr, Harry Pidgeon, and other old salts.
The Bazaar was right across from the Jungle River Boats, and we could hop a ride anytime. Any one who worked in Dsineyland knew everyone else and you could go on any of the rides when you had a break. You worked HARD.. but also had a GREAT time socially! I had a 22' Block Islander sail boat at that time, and it was down in Los Angeles Harbor near Terminal Island. My 2 gal friends and I would pack a picnic, invite some cute guys, and when we all got off at 10 PM, we'd dash down to the docks, sail around the harbor until 2 or 3 in the Am, dash back, grab a few hours of sleep and be back at work by 10 the next morn. Ah! Youth!! Aloha! Auntie Bungy

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 1:05 pm   Permalink

Yahtzee! I just discovered this topic and Aunt Bungy. This thread is one of the best things to come along at tiki Central since...I dont know what. It's cooler than Fonzie. I truly enjoyed reading the memories you've offered.

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-14 07:13 am   Permalink

More Disneyland!
Walt Disney used to walk around the whole of Disneyland, seeing that all was going well, if it wasan't either he waould speak to whomever right then, or a memo would come in.
My cousin, Billie Lou, was trying to count yesterdays receipts in her car, which was illegally parked inside the Park, and Walt told her hse had to get out NOW!
All individual shops had to have some sort of costume.. ours were shorts, aloha shirts, and Tahitian hand woven pandanus hats which we also sold. We had them in big stacks as they came out of packing crates.. all rolled up inside each other. Then, we had a bucket of water beside the display. Someone want a custom hat? We took one of the soaking hats out of the bucket, shook off the water, and proceeded to shape it and fit it for them, stuck it on their heads, took the $3.95 plus tax.. and off they would go.. happy campers!
We had a real live???? shrunken head from Peru in a big glass battery jar (these used to be in all cars!), and the second year, someone stole it. The Security guards looked all over the jungle rides for it.. thinking maybe someone had hidden it there. They were on the look-out at the front gates too as all went home.. but never found it.. I wonder where he is!!!

We lived in a farm house on 11 acres right across from Disneyland. I used to close out the registers, lock upo the shops, throw the recepits ($4000.) into by bike basket, and head home acroos the parking lot, thru the orange groves, onto Harbor Blvd, cross the street to Katella .. and our home was about a block from Harbor! Thatw as afetr 10:00PM Never felt afraid of traffic or anyhting! What a free life it was!
The Mouskateers had a Christmas Circus.. and they were always needing people to put on the costumes of Disney animals for the Grand March,, so I would try and time my breaks for that time, rush over, grab whatever costume was available (Goofey??) and dance around the Big Top in my costume!
The Big Moosekateer, Roy Williams, became good friends with mother and daddy, and at noon you would always find him, having lunch at our house. His job, besides the show they put on sevral times a day, was to sit on Main Street and draw caricatures of guests, and give them to them.
When they were getting the Indian Village going, daddy strolled over one day, ran into the main Indian Chief, and they both stopped dead cold, called out each other's name, and did big bear hugs! They had known each other in OKla. where, we used to live before coming to CA. Daddy had a Pierce Arrow convertible, and the Chief rode in it in a Parade that some cummunity org. that Daddy belonged to, was putting on!
That's all for now! Folks! Auntie Bungy

bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-16 09:32 am   Permalink

Good Morning!
In thinking about life at our Cove.. we were always thinking of adventures.. like.. One day, we got soem barrel staves, fixed up some metal straps across them, which made them into skis.. but where to ski? We looked up the 250 foot cliff behind the house, and said,"Ah! The perfect place!" Flo ann, the oldest sister, could talk me into anyhting! So, she had me scramble up the cliff at about 75 feet, and then, put the skiis on, and take off-- the actual skiing lasted about 3 seconds until I hit the first cactus, and then, it was a tumble down the rest to Flo's feet, where she helped me up, took the skiis and said, "Hmm! They need improving!"
Another adventure was roller skating. Now! Everyone has roller skated.. but we played crack-the-whip around the long line of palm trees, weaving in and out of them, and if we could get together about 6-8 skaters..it was really fun, with the last person either having to let go.. or whamming into a palm tree!
Daddy was always finding these really beat up row boats, and bringing them home for decorating.. but before the job, and under Flo's direction, we would caulk them as best we could, and take off thru the waves and over the rocks, rowing like mad, to get out of the surf. Once out, we 'd row around about 15 minutes (that was the longest time!) before the boat would start sinking, and Flo would yell, "Save the oars!" (They were practically impossible for us to get hold of!) Then, we would have to tow the row boat in to shore.. so daddy could use it!
I really pity kids nowadays, having to be so careful and not allowed to have adventures!! Aloha! Auntie Bungy

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-16 11:30 am   Permalink

I Really can't believe your stories are getting Better and Better Aunt Bungy. When I was a kid, I had to Make All my toys, or I wouldn't have anything to play with. You are right about the kids nowadays not knowing anything about adventure or not knowing how to have fun with no store bought toys.
Thanks for taking timemout to entertain us so well.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-16 9:46 pm   Permalink

Thankyou thankyou Bungy, after reading your stories, I feel like I just read the most satisfying adventure book, and you have my imagination running wild. I can't wait to buy your book! When I first started carving tikis in 98, they were out of drift wood. The hut in the background of this picture was made from driftwood, and bamboo that grows in the riverbed near by. And the tiki below is a necklace I carved from drift wood that I get from the cove in Ventura. My mom told me about how she would buy a shrunken head and a tiki necklace from adventureland when she was little... maybe you sold it to her! Well, Its just so awesome to hear your stories, and I fantasize living your lifestyle as a beach comber!

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 09:07 am   Permalink

Here's a pic that was of the "carving yard" at the Katella house next to Disneyland. The big Moai were the one's carved for the Aku Aku room at the Stardust. One of the articles I have says, "they were solid pieces of feather stone from a quarry in northern Nevada." It's pretty crazy that they were shipped back down to Anaheim, then shipped back to Vegas. That must have been quite the task. I wonder if the smaller Moai were carved for Trader Vic's? Those other tikis look familiar but I can't place them.

Aloha Auntie Bungy,

Do you remember one of the Kelbo's owners daughter named Susan?

I talked to her last week. She remembered You and my Mom and hanging out at the Cove. I'll forward you her email and Ph#.

Tiki Tony is the modern day Beachcomber. He's a real nice kid who has much respect for the Hedley past and the ocean.

BenzArt, well....I'm sure all of his toys were carved out of wood. He's a true master of carving wood, and a great guru.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

tikihai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 8:23 pm   Permalink

Absolutely amazing stories...Major Props to Aunty Bungy for sharing and to you too RevBambooBen for directing your aunt here to share these wonderful tales and pictures. I have been to the royal palms cove before and it is truly a unique place. Thank You.

View Profile of tikihai Send a personal message to tikihai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 8:33 pm   Permalink

Your stories are amazing. The one about the skis had me laughing so hard I was crying. I could just picture it.

Thankyou for taking the time to share your life with us.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 11:12 pm   Permalink

These stories and pics are too much. Ben you definitely earned your eye patch for bringin' Aunt Bungy to the fireside.

Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Lost-Isle Trading Post
Barefoot bloggin'

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kelbosdaughter

Posted: 2006-01-20 12:18 am   Permalink

Dear Bungy: This is a voice from the past.. I am Susan ( Jack Bouck's daughter)
Your Dad and My Dad worked together for many years, and we usto come down to the cove. I guess that I was about 7 or 8 years old then (1954). I, like you have many memories of those years.
I found you by way of Ben; my son Dean was on the computer a couple of nights ago and called me because he found many Kelbo's articles and had remembered me talking of Eli's place at Whites Point. Remember the Queen's chair at the tide line ?
It's getting late here so I'll write again tomorrow.

Aloha,
Susan

View Profile of Kelbosdaughter Send a personal message to Kelbosdaughter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation