FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-20 2:51 pm   Permalink

Hey Susan! Kelbo's daughter! The minute I saw Kelbo's I started hungering for those fantastic pineapple baked spare ribs!! I wrote you an email.. but must have goten your address wrong.. I remember! And the Queens seat, start out at low tide, and wait for it to get higher.. start getting sprayed, then washed over, and finally running for it to get back to shore before you got cut off. Remember the pier (about 20' high?) Johnny Weismuller was making one of his Trader Hall? movies at our place, and he had to dive off that oier. He ran the length and his dive was clean as he pierced the sparkling Pacific! One day, during the filming his good buddy, Duke Kahanamoku came down.. what a thrill!!!
Kelbo's was like a fairyland.. with a whole wall made of battery jars filled with seaweed scapes and lighted so beautifully. The Seaweed scapes were made by a Beaulah Marker, who was an artsit from Los Angeles. She figured out how to preserve the color of the seaweed, and made those especially for Kelbo's.. it was a beautiful, tropical paradise!! AAnd the savory smell was unbelievable!! Hope to see you and ALL sometime in August at Royal Palms!!! Aloha! Auntie Bungy

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 2:57 pm   Permalink

bungy, I know I've already said this, but it bears repeating -- I am truly loving your stories, every one is inspirational and imagination-stirring. I get a little jump of excitement every time I see you have a new post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share them with us!

And Susan/kelbosdaughter, it's so exciting to see you've joined us, too! I wish I could have seen Kelbo's before it closed, I've heard wonderful things about it. I recently saw this Kelbo's menu/postcard & napkin online at the Los Angeles Public Library, thanks to mrbalihai:

Kelbo's images at the LAPL

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu 2006-01-20 14:59 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-21 07:27 am   Permalink

Iaorana to Tikitony! You looked just like my dad out there in the back 40.. carving those tikis!!! Great!
If your mom bought those tiki necklaces etc. at Disneyland from 1955 to 1960.. then, she got them from us!!! No one was allowed to overstep anyone elses merchandise or theme. That meant that Frontierland shops could only have cowboy/Indian stuff.. and if one shop got something anohter could'nt get it too! So, you see, it was a real scramble to get interesting enough stuff, for the tourist to shop for theri souvenirs at your shop, instead of next door.
It was always a mystery to me how my dad went from being a Beachcomber.. to being super-merchandiser.. and business man!
My cousin, Billie Lou, who is with out a doubt the dearest person on earth!!, was the first manager, then, she taught me book keeping etc., and I took over. I did all the taxes city, county, state, and fed., my dad's personal income tax, bought the merchandise, hired up to 16 girls during the summer months, did all payables and receivables, all the banking, .. and all from a little desk that was about 2 feet long, wiht a 2 file cabinet, and a plug in calculator.. OH! Where was Quicken!
Besides the 2 main shops..some of the other shops we had periodically, were the German Steiff stuffed animals.. I think we were the first distributors on west coast; live turtles! The girls hated this job because each day, when they came to work, they had to throw out the occasional one that had died during the night! We slapped decals on their backs and they sold like hot cakes, along wioth various boxes of food! Potted cactus! Thatw as a mess, because we had to mail those off all the time! Some years later I lived in the middle of the Mojave Desert.. and said, "I can go into the Cactus biz again!!" A "Zoomarang", arrow thru the head, and candy guns corner! The girls didn't much like this one either! They had to wear the arrow thru the head, keep the zoomarand going in and out (it was that rolled up paper on a stick!), and shoot little candy into kids mouths! We sold a lot there!
And there were more.. but , hey! my memory is just so much!!!
Talk on ya later!!! Auntie Bungy

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-21 07:29 am   Permalink

I just found the Disneyland one.. It popped up out of nowhere.. so cancel the one that says I lost it!! Aaaargh! auntie Bungy

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 08:13 am   Permalink

Auntie, you paint such fantastic pictures with your words!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-25 08:34 am   Permalink

Good Morning!
I thought, just for fun, I'd tell about one driftwood "gathering". We were always hunting up and down the coasts for beautiful driftwood, from the middle of Oregon to Guaymas Mexico, that was our hunting ground.
But, for a couple of years, my dad kept eyeballing this one cove, that was just about 1 mile from our home! it was between the Wilder edition of Pt Fermin Prak, and the Main Pt. Fermin Park. For you who livew there.. go take a look sometime!
Anyway.. the cove was down a 250' cliff, and was practically unobtainable.. and.. had a gloriuos ammount of beautiful white driftwood, that had weathered perfectly. Today, there are poaved paths going down to this cove.. but then, it was a dirt path that you had to scramble up and down, so it was impossible to get to.
Well, one morning daddy said, "Boys (he always called we four girls "boys") gather up as much rope as you can and lets go get soem driftwood!" We threw long and shirt pieces into the back of the station wagon, and set off. Only to the top of that cliff! Daddy said, "We'll tie the rope onto the bumper of the car, tie the pieces together, throw it over the cliff, and then, we'll go down there, get us together a big pile of driftwood, and pull 'er up!" We looked at each other na dbegan tying.. another adventure!
After a few odd throw, we finally got the rope down the cliff a reassonable distance, and then we went around to the end of the cliff and scrambled down the path. OH! Beautiful driftwood. Long pieces, short peices, fat pieces, thin pieces, we soon had a BIG bundle all tied and ready to haul up. Flo and Ba went back up the hill and Mare and I stayed with daddy. Pretty soon, Ba yelled down the hill that Flo was ready. So daddy yelled, "OK! Take 'er up!" and very slowly, as Flo moved the car forwadr at the top of the cliff, the driftwood began to inch up the cliff.. then.. it snagged on some cactus! We scrambled up a bit, and undid.. and it started inching up once more. This happened several times, until daddy could see that this method was not going to work, so he said,"Well, boys, I guess we'll have to ride it up!"
All 3 of us grabbed a good handhold on rope, placed our feet firmly against the cliff, under the bundle, which was huge, and then, daddy yelled to start slowly again! So.... we rode that bundle to the top, and every time it woudl get stuck we'd apply our feet togetehr to get it over the obstacle! When, we finally got up to and over the top of the cliff, we collapsed on the ground! What a grand adventure! Th th th that's all for now , folks! Auntie Bungy

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 08:43 am   Permalink

I have to chime in and say, thanks for these stories.
They are so easy to visualise, thank's to your great story telling style.
Please keep the stories coming.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 10:10 am   Permalink

Auntie Bungy, you should write a book about this your story telling skills are amazing. Thanks again!

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 10:18 am   Permalink

And to think that I won't even drive my car unless my kids are buckled in. Much less pull them up a cliff with my car and some knotted together rope! Underneath a bundle of logs!! Crazy...

Thanks for the story. Great stuff!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 6:22 pm   Permalink

Thank you again for all your wonderful stories, bungy! As one who has been to many of the beaches that you talk about here in San Pedro, it is fun to imagine what it would have been like years ago. Some things remain the same though (aside from pay-to-park at the cove?!?!!?WTF!?!?!), like finding cool flotsom on the cobble beaches and the fact that most people still do not go to these beaches and if they do, they only stay near where the paths let out.

did you ever try surfing the cove?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 7:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-21 07:29, bungy wrote:
I just found the Disneyland one.. It popped up out of nowhere.. so cancel the one that says I lost it!! Aaaargh! auntie Bungy

Can you post it? I'd love to see it.....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benehune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 8:35 pm   Permalink

Thank you Bungy! I love reading about your life. Today was pretty tough until I sat down and read your latest post. You made my day. Thanks

View Profile of Benehune Send a personal message to Benehune      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 9:08 pm   Permalink

Bungy, it is truly a gift you are sharing your stories here, thank you! It makes one aware of how much, and how rapidly things have changed in southern California in the last 50 years...if we can keep the stories recorded, and show the pictures, these places and people are not gone, and will be alive for future generations.

I have a question concerning a decorative piece in my house: In the mid-90s I bought a sunburst tile made out of resin in a red wooden frame at Exotical in Downey, which one of you Hedley gals made it again?

And Susan, how great you made contact, too! I have lots of questions for both of you, but I will have to concentrate on my current project until it's done, and then we'll talk. Here's one: How was Horrace Heidt connected with Kelbo's?

I hope you both have my book and are enjoying it!
Sven

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-26 10:27 am   Permalink

to Bigbro tiki! The sunburst, was probably made at Island Trade store on Beach Blvd. in the late 1960s or early seventies.. and by oldest sister, Flo Ann. She was wroking with daddy at that time, and they were exploring resins! They made tables out of abalone pieces, and other items. I don't remember the sunburst, but I do remember a whole back end of the shop filled with bamboo hanging lamps that were on their way to Alaska! I worked with Flo, when ever I could. She did most of it .. I was just her "go-fer_!
All our children LOVED going to the shop. It was a tropical paradise, with big waterfalls made out of the featherstone with the giant clam shells to hold the different falls and send the water on into a "river". All the cousins, including Bamboo Ben, particularly liked playing hide and go seek! in all the flora and fuana, and also the huts that daddy had built around the grounds. It was a show place for his wares! Later aligator! Auntie Bungy
PS: I just remembered a pix of Ben when he was about three, sitting in one of the giant clam shells!

bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-27 05:04 am   Permalink

to Polynesiack! (??) We never thoght about board surfing at the Cove, becaues there was very little surfing done at all at that time. We did body surfing, mainly at Rendondo Beach below those big cliffs. Again, no one there, surfing on boards either, that I can remember. I was amazed when I read the novel, :The Seventh Wave" to find they were surfing there.
One time, we kids went to Rendondo to go surfing with Raymond Burr, who was a friend of the family's. We climbed downt the cliffs and jumped into the water.. it was cold and the surf was up. You could hardly ever catch a full wave and ride it all the way in, most of the time they just buried you into the sand.. each time, i"d surface, with water streaming down, and sand covering every inch of me, there would be Ray, a big smile on his face, having jusy conquered the huge wave by planting his feet in the sand, and letting it wash over him!! Then, when we had enough, we'd go to the fish market at Redondo, and get all kinds of stuff for fish gumbo, that Ray would make over our fire place at the Cove. It was his Pre-Perry Mason time, and he had a WW11 jeep for tansportaion. We all piled into it, hanging off, yelling and shouting, and he would turn KFAC up high on the radio, with a Straus waltz, and he would waltz through the palm trees up and down the Cove!
I love the way San Pedro has developed.. it has hung on to the old flavor, even tho there are so many more people. And.. they've done a great job of bike and running and walking paths.. very user friendly.. and the air.. how much better can you get???! Auntie Bungy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation