FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 09:01 am   Permalink

Bungy - sorry to pester you, but I'd love to see the Disneyland photo you said you found... Any chance of posting it here?

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-27 3:15 pm   Permalink

to Tangaroa: (I think I was actually there when I crewed on 134' Te Vega, through out French oceana in 1955! Tangaroa, that is!) I don't know how to scan etc.. and I can't think of what photo that was!! I don't think I have any of Disneyland. We were living by a river in Texas, when a 57 foot wave came down .. and in 5 hours had lost everything.. this was in '78! The only thing I could even remember losing after 3 months had passed, was the family photos! All those photos that Bamboo Ben put on, were from him and his mom. They sure were fun to see! Hare maru! Auntie Bungy

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-28 9:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-27 15:15, bungy wrote:
to Tangaroa: (I think I was actually there when I crewed on 134' Te Vega, through out French oceana in 1955! Tangaroa, that is!) I don't know how to scan etc.. and I can't think of what photo that was!! I don't think I have any of Disneyland. We were living by a river in Texas, when a 57 foot wave came down .. and in 5 hours had lost everything.. this was in '78! The only thing I could even remember losing after 3 months had passed, was the family photos! All those photos that Bamboo Ben put on, were from him and his mom. They sure were fun to see! Hare maru! Auntie Bungy

Oh well - thanks for looking anyway....

Ben - you have pics of the shop at Disneyland circa 1955-1960 (the year the concessionaires were kicked out...)?

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-29 01:34 am   Permalink

to Tangaroa! Disney actually slowly started not renewing leases of all the concessionaires. They took over the ones that they thought they could easily run themselves first.. and these became pretty generic. Dwiht Long (my sailing mentor since I was 12) started off with us, then he moved to Main Street with cameos and ohter jewelry. The Guatamlan Weavers in the Bazaar staye dthe longest in Adventureland.
An interesting aside! After about 7 or 8 years, Disney opened a private club, for biz owners and execs and their guests. It was hidden on a second floor near Adventrueland, and was the only place that served hard liquor! Many a deal was finalized there.

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 01:56 am   Permalink

Ah, Club 33 .
I had the opportunity to have dinner there once. Great memory.
I'm really enjoying your memories too Aunt Bungy.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 09:43 am   Permalink

Dwight Long...didn't he write that book "Seven Seas on a Shoestring"?
And wasn't he the one who made that 50s docu-drama movie "Tanga Tiki"(...or so?) in Tahiti?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-29 1:40 pm   Permalink

to Bigbrotiki: You are right on!! It is the same Dwight Long!! How ever did you know him! He was the one that started me sailing and took me under his wing fo r all my sailing days. Each weekend we sailed the Los Angeles Harbor, New Port, Channel Islands, Catalina! on his 36' block islander, Island Belle. That was like around 1946. Then, he got me on The Resolute with Ed Fabian and I crewed in the first San Diego/Acapulco Yacht Race in 1953! Had a few crewings in between, and then, he got me on as mess cook aboard 134' Te Vega, for nearly 3 months thru French Oceana, in 1955. I was the only one in a crew of 18, besides the Captain, Omer Darr, who had ever been to sea before under sail! I was stuck in the galley (and barely) because I was a girl.. but, I was also, the only one who got a raise in salary because finally, Capt. Darr realized that I did know how to sail!
Am writing a book baout my adventures with a whole chapter on Dwight! Hopefully, I'll be ready for print in about a month.
he was just like my brother.. only closer.

Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 4:21 pm   Permalink

Bungy,
Everyone has already said this, but thank you so much for sharing all of these great stories. I'm constantly checking the site these days for updates. You really scored the trifecta in my opinion: beachcombing lifestyle in they birth years of tiki, behind the scenes stories of early disneyland, and sea-faring tales of wind and sail.

After your last post I'm wondering which "Resolute" you crewed on? I know there was an old America's Cup boat by that name. During college (15 years ago in Olympia, WA) I crewed on an old 44' wooden Yawl that had been an Annapolis trainer which was also called the "Resolute". I know that alot of boats bear the name, but I was wondering if you and I had by chance sailed on the same. She was a beauty.

Keep the good words coming!
-Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-29 7:16 pm   Permalink

to Rum Demon! (what a name!but look who's talking!)
My "Resolute" is a 42' ketch that is still moored at Flietz Bros. Yacht Landing in Los Angeles Harbor (San Pedro). For over 50 years she has been used for boy/girl/and sea scout training with week-end trips to Catalina. First the Dad, Ed Fabian, who was one of the best skippers I've ever sailed under, and now by his son, Mike.
I always say that Dwight Long taught me how to sail, but Ed Fabian taught me seamanship! How to splice line, how to shoot the stars with an old fashion sectant, etc.

I was priveleged to run into him again about 7 or 8 years ago. I had not seen him in over 40 years! He was in a wheel chair, but still kept going strong. He was always so cheerful and kindly. I never saw him lose his temper.. and we were out at sea for 15 days!!!
I was able to visit with him each year, unitl he passed on. One of the true old salts. Fair Winds!! Auntie Bungy

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 7:26 pm   Permalink

Auntie Bungy, you are so interesting and so unique. It is such a pleasure reading your posts. you are a true inspiration to all of us women.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 7:42 pm   Permalink

Aloha Bungy,

What was that movie we saw at UCLA that Dwight narrarated ???

( I'll try to dig up some more pics and post soon)

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-29 10:24 pm   Permalink

These stories are just too much...where is that time? Is there a place left in the world in the state it's in today where it is possible with hard work to lead such a lifestyle? Amazing..

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 06:39 am   Permalink

Aunt Bungy, I am so impressed with your sailing storys too. I used to have a 47 ft yawl made by Ted Hood of Americas Cup fame. There is Nothing like sailingespecially during the winter equinox and sailing into the moon going down with the sun rising at your stern. The magic of singlehaded sailing is like No other, and I only sailed a few years. Your stories bring up the old desire to pack a bag ant set off to ports unknown.
Boy I miss it.Thanks big time.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 08:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-29 13:40, bungy wrote:
Am writing a book baout my adventures with a whole chapter on Dwight! Hopefully, I'll be ready for print in about a month.
he was just like my brother.. only closer.

Info please? Publisher, expected release date, etc. I want to start bugging the local libraries to buy copies as soon as it hits the shelves.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-30 3:30 pm   Permalink

hiltiki! I was only one of 3 women in the Los Angeles Harbor area that was doing any seriuos sailing during the 40's and 50's. The most famous was Peggy Slater, a friend of the family's.
Whenever I went to sea on long voyages, I was always the only gal in crew and had to become everyone's little sister! It worked! Now days gals don't have to think twice about it. At htat time, not even most of the wives of boat owners sailed! And if they did, they made themselve comfortable on deck! When I read of the 17 yera old gal who is sailing around the world... single handed, I cheer!!

Dear nephew Benjie aka Bamboo Ben!
Dwight had a lecture series for 30 years, at least, at Royce Hall UCLA, and Ebel Theater in Westwood. It wa scalled "Arm Chair Adventures". He booked sailors like Alan Villiers, Irivng Johnson, Thor Hyerdahl and many more.
He periodically gave his own lecture of his 7 years arround the world which included his WW11 experiences as a Lt. Commander on the Fighting Lady.. which he had filmed lots of.. under Leo Derochment (spelling!). Clips of his filming still play today!

Benzart! WOW! What a boat and experience.. better write this up!!
My best memories are climbing a 100 foot mast to sit on the cross tree at sunset or sunrise.. watching the brilliant colors fill the sky! It was like I owned the Universe!!!. I also, got to see the "green flash" onetime! And, a full circle rainbow under a full moon!

Freddie freelance (not freeloader??!! Red Skelton)
The Book is called "View From the Top of the Mast", and I will definitly advertise on Tiki Central! it will probably be 2-3 months more.
Am also reprinting Daddy's catalog from the Trade Winds Trading Company in 1942. It has lots of items that he made from beachcombings!

Thank you all for "listening to me talk stories"! I am having a GREAT time!!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation