FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Lost camera at Kona Club, Oakland
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Lost camera at Kona Club, Oakland
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-22 11:27 am   Permalink

What a total fuck!ng scumbag! The camera & memory card was recovered, but all pics were erased!

I've sent Otto info about recovery software he can use to possibly retrieve them.

Again, let this be a lesson to all - back-up your irreplaceable digital photos! Burn multiple disks and send some to relatives or keep some at work. Back-up CDs are cheap!

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-12-22 12:09 pm   Permalink

Man, this thread is a roller coaster! Awful disheartening news, then the promising light of a happy resolution, then one more bite in the backside. Hope those pics are recoverable.

So let's see, the guy "accidentally" took the camera, then accidentally assumed the flash card was full of his own photos without looking at them, and also accidentally assumed that he wouldn't want to keep any of his own photos, so he accidentally cleared them all off the flash card. It could happen to anyone!

Too bad the "million volt electric shock" feature with automatic thief recognition wasn't turned on.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-22 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-18 17:05, babydoe wrote:

The two discs contained ALL of the photos of our newborn baby! These are the ONLY photos we have of the first month of his life!

... the alohabros are sorry for your loss, however why not offload the files asap, especially those that are important... moreover, why take 'em to a place where you know you're gonna get hammered... makes no sense... what a lesson, ouch!...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-12-22 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-22 12:09, aquarj wrote:
Man, this thread is a roller coaster! Awful disheartening news, then the promising light of a happy resolution, then one more bite in the backside. Hope those pics are recoverable.

So let's see, the guy "accidentally" took the camera, then accidentally assumed the flash card was full of his own photos without looking at them, and also accidentally assumed that he wouldn't want to keep any of his own photos, so he accidentally cleared them all off the flash card. It could happen to anyone!

Too bad the "million volt electric shock" feature with automatic thief recognition wasn't turned on.

-Randy

PLUS-(as I understand it) the empty camera bag was found on the ground without the OTHER memory card in it, SO...He accidently took his spare memory card out and accidently dropped the camera bag(the camera was out of the bag already) and then accidently put on Otto's hat! SOUNDS LIKE LIKE GUY IS AN ACCIDENT WAITING to happen!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-22 2:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-22 12:34, mrsmiley wrote:

PLUS-(as I understand it) the empty camera bag was found on the ground without the OTHER memory card in it, SO...He accidently took his spare memory card out and accidently dropped the camera bag(the camera was out of the bag already) and then accidently put on Otto's hat! SOUNDS LIKE LIKE GUY IS AN ACCIDENT WAITING to happen!

... booze will make ya do things that ya know is wrong...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-22 6:43 pm   Permalink

Did he "accidently" erase the contents of the other flash card as well?

Not to be a walking endorsement, but if the recovery software doesn't work, then there is a company in the Bay Area called Drive Savers that can definitely recover the pics off of the flash card(s). They were able to recover all of the photos off a friend's flash card, and they were all perfect. The only thing is that they charge about $100+ to do so.

The pics are most likely still on the cards, but when you tell the camera to erase everything, it usually just resets the file allocation table, but doesn't erase the pictures. The same thing happens if you do a quick format of a disk with a computer - it just resets the file allocation table but doesn't erase the files from the disk. So as you take more pics, the old files are replaced with new ones. If someone did a complete full format on the flash cards, however, like hooking the camera up to a computer and actually doing a full format on the cards, then that would wipe everything off of the cards and reset the file allocation table as well.

Otto and Baby Doe, I hope that when you recover the pictures off of your flash cards, that you find compromising pics of that asshole having sex with sheep, or even worse, that you can then plaster all over the internet, and everyone can use as screen savers!!!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-28 10:18 pm   Permalink

I confused two of my XD cards on a trip to Mexico this past summer and started to format one that was full. I caught my mistake after a couple seconds and pulled the card out of the camera. After a few anxious days I got home and googled all sorts of recovery software.
I ended up trying a couple of free programs and Art Plus Digital Photo Recovery (http://www.artplus.hr/adapps/eng/dpr.htm) recovered the most images. It successfully recovered most of the images from a 512 card and the missing material was mostly redundant so I didn't feel the need to pursue it any farther. There were a few images that showed up only as thumbnails, but I was pretty happy with what I got.
I was curious after this, so I took a card I had already saved to disc and tried, first to recover all the images after simple erasure, then after formatting. I was able to get all the images after the erasure but none after formatting.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 10:40 pm   Permalink

Its been awhile and I'm sure many of us are sympathaetic... any progress report on getting those pics recovered?

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-04 06:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-22 18:43, Mai Tai wrote:
Not to be a walking endorsement, but if the recovery software doesn't work, then there is a company in the Bay Area called Drive Savers that can definitely recover the pics off of the flash card(s). They were able to recover all of the photos off a friend's flash card, and they were all perfect. The only thing is that they charge about $100+ to do so.

I've used them for clients before. Pleased with the results. I believe they've even helped a certain
Mr. Buffett

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod 2006-01-04 06:16 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
unklefun
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-05 08:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-22 12:11, alohabros wrote:
Quote:

The two discs contained ALL of the photos of our newborn baby! These are the ONLY photos we have of the first month of his life!

... the alohabros are sorry for your loss, however why not offload the files asap, especially those that are important... moreover, why take 'em to a place where you know you're gonna get hammered... makes no sense... what a lesson, ouch!...

[ This Message was edited by: unklefun 2006-01-05 08:45 ]

View Profile of unklefun Send a personal message to unklefun  Goto the website of unklefun     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
unklefun
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-05 08:44 am   Permalink

Hi Baby Doe, This Jacque AKA Unkle Fun, sorry for the lost again. I told Otto that if the recovery of the pictures work out I'll make the Dork who took the camera reimburst you.

View Profile of unklefun Send a personal message to unklefun  Goto the website of unklefun     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-05 12:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-05 08:43, unklefun wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-12-22 12:11, alohabros wrote:
Quote:

[ This Message was edited by: unklefun 2006-01-05 08:45 ]

yes, stupid to leave photos on cards that are still in use
yes, stupid to leave cameras on bars unattended for several minutes

I always offload my photos and burn to CDr, Baby Doe has a different system for managing her photos and she had not done her homework and I wanted to use the camera so I grabbed it and knowing that the card in the camera was almost full I also grabbed a second card which also happened to be almost full

as for leaving a camera on a bar it should be noted that this was not just any bar in the middle of North Beach
This was a grand opening where I personally knew about 20% of the attendees. The grand opening was not publicly announced therefore one could assume that it was friends and friends of friends

Now here's the update:
I did get the camera back with the card that was in it
not only were the photos erased but there was a "test" shot on the card of someone's living room

I am still working on data recovery on this card

apparently the second card was found and mailed to my post box. Am picking that up today so there is some good news

I must say that Jacques (who is a good friend of Will the Thrill) has been very helpful in recovering said items from one of his friends

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 01:56 am   Permalink

Indeed, if you can't relax at a private invite-only party, when CAN you? *sigh*

After having my purse stolen JUST once at, yep, a private party, I've never dared take my paw off it again. Oh, the troubles that caused--but such a sad thing, not to be able to trust!

Only takes one bad apple, as they say. I'd like to 'reformat' him, huh.

I wish you tons of luck with the data recovery, Otto!!! If it worked for B*ffet...

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 08:48 am   Permalink

... sony (and canon) makes some fairly thin profiled cameras that yield nice results... the alohabros have found that by using these small cameras and storing them in leather pocket protectors (kept in the front left breast pocket of all shirts worn), there is little chance of losing the camera (reasonably snug fit)... one must be, as the alohabros are, religious about using the pocket protector... this way cameras are less likely to be left out and can be accessed quickly in the event a photo op presents itself... best luck on the data recovery...

babydoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 12:52 pm   Permalink

I am back online and was surprised by all the comments! THANKS EVERYONE!

First off I want to let you all know that we did get our camera back AND we actually got back our 1 GH compact flash card as well (it was mailed to us this week!).

Yes, photos were erased but it looks like we have recovered most of them.

I want to thank the Tiki community for their help with this! If it was not for the crowd shots we would never have recovered the camera OR the flash cards from the person who grabbed these. It pays to take LOADS of photos!

Of course the lesson is to BACK up those photos! With a prepping for maternity leave and then a new baby who came 16 days early I just never got around to it. I was soooo bummed to lose those particular two months and then thrilled to get those photos back! Whew! This has just been such a rollar coaster of emotions... so glad I can put it behind me and move on now.

I know this might sound dorky but another lesson I have learned with all of this is how important family is. Who cares about the camera... and the photos are precious but I have a wonderful new baby and an awesome husband and 3 year old. There are so many people who have lost more then just a couple months of photos!

XOXO Baby Doe

View Profile of babydoe Send a personal message to babydoe  Goto the website of babydoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation