FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Ray's Mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Ray's Mistake
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-12-25 4:12 pm   Permalink

Ahoy Luckydesigns!

Thanks for the "blended" tip...

RAY'S MISTAKE

1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
1/2 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum
1/2 oz Gin
float Coruba Dark Rum

Blend the above ingredients (Except the Coruba Dark Rum) with a cup of crushed ice for several seconds at low speed. Pour everything into glass and float the dark rum. Garnish with a cocktail cherry and pineapple wedge.

View Profile of ickytiki Send a personal message to ickytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-25 5:25 pm   Permalink

Sounds good! But only an oz of booze?

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-25 5:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-12-25 17:25, happy buddha wrote:
Sounds good! But only an oz of booze?

Plus the float. Every time I've been to Tiki-Ti I've noticed that the Mikes are consistently rather heavy handed with their floats, basically just filling all the extra space in the glass with Coruba, so it's strength ends up being proportionate to the size of your glass.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-12-25 9:51 pm   Permalink

Ahoy happy buddha!

Here's the alcohol content of the Ray's Mistake:

1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1/2 oz Gin
3/4 oz Coruba Dark Rum Float (Based off the "Captain's Grog" recipe)

For a total of 2 1/4 oz of alcohol.

[ This Message was edited by: ickytiki 2014-12-25 22:05 ]

View Profile of ickytiki Send a personal message to ickytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-12-25 10:03 pm   Permalink

RAY'S MISTAKE

1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
1/2 oz Gin
3/4 oz Coruba Dark Rum (Floated)

Blend the above ingredients (Except the Coruba Dark Rum) with a half cup of crushed ice for several seconds at low speed. Pour everything into a Collins Glass and float the dark rum. Garnish with a cocktail cherry and pineapple wedge.

[ This Message was edited by: ickytiki 2014-12-29 10:41 ]

tikimahalo

Posted: 2015-01-12 6:30 pm   Permalink

Wow, this thread is a wonderful resource! Much thanks to all of those who helped deconstruct this masterpiece of a drink.

As someone who is just starting out in the world of Tiki mixology (and in the process of stocking the bar), I'm curious to know:
What are the preferred brands of each of the above ingredients?

Coruba is obvious, but what about the gin, the dark rum, the curacao, or even the passion fruit syrup, for that matter? Will different brands of each of these ingredients make a significant difference in the final output? Has anyone spied what the Tiki Ti uses for any of the unbranded ingredients above?

Thanks in advance!

View Profile of tikimahalo Send a personal message to tikimahalo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-01-12 11:46 pm   Permalink

Ahoy tikimahalo!

If you read through this thread, it appears that a frozen concentrated lime juice (like Minute Maid) is used. It appears that Barton is the gin and the light Puerto Rican rum can be replaced with just about any alcohol!

I would assume that commercial brands are used for a lot of the recipe:

Passion Fruit Syrup (probably Finest Call)
Maple Syrup (some table syrup like Log Cabin)
Orange Curacao (I would guess Hiram Walker or Dekuyper)

But the real flavor comes from the Coruba Dark Rum... It has a very distinct flavor. And the Barton Gin, in my opinion, has its own notes as well. I wouldn't substitute these two ingredients.

~icky

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-18 10:03 pm   Permalink

Hey all, having consumed a Mistake for my first and last drinks this past friday night, I decided I should make the above recipe to see how it compares. My first thought was "hey, this is damn close!" until the aftertaste of the maple kicked in. For most of the drink, that was the primary flavor I was getting. I used Don Q as my light rum and Beefeater as my gin. Regardless of what I used, that maple syrup was just too damn dominant. I'd consider maybe .25 oz maple syrup at most, and possible less than that. Unfortunatley I have neither the desire nor time right now to attempt another one. I actually don't think the drink is that far off and a decent faux version however. I'd have to have more of the real deal to really pin down the exact profile, but the Tiki Central version did fool me for my first sip. Even my wife, after trying the home version and never having even heard of the real Ray's Mistake, said it tasted too brown sugary, vanillay...which is the maple syrup. For the remainder of my drink it was just...damn...did I have pancakes in this thing?

Here's to continuing the neverending quest.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-01-19 12:31 am   Permalink

Ahoy kkocka!

I still believe that the Ray's Mistake is based from the Captain's Grog recipe from the defunct Captain's Inn restaurant. I think it unlocks the whole mystery... It answers the correct ingredients and proportions. Maple syrup is definitely in the drink and I'm guessing the amount is correct also. I believe we have the correct components and measurements; we just do not know the specific name brands of a couple of the syrups. And, truthfully, those can be tweaked to your pallet.

CAPTAIN'S GROG

1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice (White ONLY!!!)
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Falernum
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
3/4 oz Myer's Rum
1/2 oz Dark Puerto Rican Rum

If you haven't made a Captain's Grog, I highly recommend it. It is an absolutely wonderful drink. It's, now, one of my all time favorites and is made quit often at my house. The ingredients for the grog listed above were probably more on the high end considering the reputation of the Captain's Inn restaurant. So, I'm sure that real maple syrup was used in the original recipe.

There are basically two types of maple syrup that you can use in this drink. And the one that you pick completely changes the flavor. The two grades of maple syrup are "A" and "B". And most people instantly believe that Grade "A" must be the best... Because "A" comes before "B", right? (haha!)

Well, that's not the case at all... The grading is actually the season that the syrup is produced. Grade "A" is collected early in the season and has a lighter flavor. (Like a smoky agave.) Whereas, Grade "B" is darker and has a strong maple flavor. Grade "B" is what most Americans know and what most artificial pancake syrups are trying to, unsuccessfully, reproduce.

I absolutely detest fake pancake syrups... They are full of artificial flavorings, colors and usually contain high fructose syrup. They all taste different and none of them come close to the real thing. However, real maple syrup is very expensive and I would guess a commercial brand (Ex.: Log Cabin, Aunt Jemima, Mrs. Butterworth's, etc.) is probably being used.

You couldn't pay me to sit down and do a bunch of taste tests on these types of syrups... (My stomach is turning knots even thinking about it.) But, I'm sure one brand is less "pancakey"...

However, if you don't like the maple flavor note in your Ray's Mistake, a simple solution is buying real, Grade "A" maple syrup and pouring the suggested 1/2 oz in the drink.

RAY'S MISTAKE

1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
1/2 oz Barton's Gin

Blend the above ingredients (Except the Coruba Dark Rum) with a cup of crushed ice for several seconds at low speed. Pour everything into a Collins Glass and float the dark rum. Garnish with a cocktail cherry and pineapple wedge.

Cheers!

~icky

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-19 2:15 pm   Permalink

Hm, I thought I read to use a cheaper, more commonly found maple syrup? That's why I went w/the shitty Ralph's brand. I do have a few Grade A brands in the house - maybe I'll cautiously try that. While I assumed there is SOME difference, I also assumed it wouldn't/doesn't make that big a difference. That's assumptions for ya though. I'll give the Captain's Grog a try.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-19 3:51 pm   Permalink

does the Tiki Ti have any other drinks w/maple syrup?

I thought the story was that Ray went to make an Anting Anting but grabbed the wrong two syrups, and the Mistake was born. so what's in the Anting Anting??

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-19 7:10 pm   Permalink

Okay I made my revision using legit Grade A, and yes it makes a big difference. However, we still haven't nailed it. This one is still a bit darker and denser than what I recall - I remember Ray's being suprisingly lighter tasting than I would have thought. Thanks for the maple correction!

ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-01-19 10:59 pm   Permalink

Ahoy thePorpoise!

The two syrups that were probably the "mistake" were:

SIMPLE SYRUP instead of FALERNUM (Both are clear.)
and
PASSION FRUIT SYRUP instead of GRAPEFRUIT JUICE (Both are a cloudy yellow.)

Here's my guess for:

ANTING ANTING

1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Falernum
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
1/2 oz Gin

Which is basically a Captain's Grog with a couple of alcohol changes...

ickytiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-01-19 11:27 pm   Permalink

Ahoy again kkocka!

The Ray's Mistake is roughly a 5 1/4 oz drink served in a Tom Collins glass that is approximately 10 oz. It's a tiny drink served in a tiny glass; there's not a lot of wiggle room here.

There are so many reasons why your drink could have tasted lighter. The recipe for this drink is using 1/2 oz pours and drops for a start. Just the slightest alteration will change this drink immensely. Every thing from how much of the clear alcohol is poured (or even the float for that matter) from how much soda water is splashed to how much your ice melts... It's only 5 1/4 oz big.

Here is the core recipe again and you should adjust it in any way that suites you!

RAY'S MISTAKE

1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Soda Water
3 drops Vanilla Extract
3 drops Almond Extract
1/2 oz Barton's Gin

Blend the above ingredients (Except the Coruba Dark Rum) with a cup of crushed ice for several seconds at low speed. Pour everything into a Collins Glass and float the dark rum. Garnish with a cocktail cherry and pineapple wedge.

Cheers!

~icky

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-20 12:53 am   Permalink

LOL, I love and appreciate your enthusiasm but I'm unsure as to why you keep posting the recipe as if I haven't seen it these past few pages. My drink at Tiki Ti tasted lighter because of course its made correctly and uses THE recipe - the one we have here is probably a close approximation, hence not tasting like it does at Tiki Ti.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation