FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Ray's Mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ray's Mistake
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-30 2:37 pm   Permalink

This sounds more like 43, which has been around a while - apparently since 1924.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-30 2:39 pm   Permalink

We (who have been trying to reporoduce this drink) have used Licor 43 in many different attempts. It gets close, but does not produce a Ray's Mistake. Plus, was Licor 43 available in 1968? I don't know. This all makes me doubt that Licor 43 is the secret.

I need to look into Ti Toki. I don't think that is one I have ever used.

Also the rumor that the difference is gin: Wrong. The "mistake" was made when making an Anting Anting. The Ray's Mistake is sweeter than the Anting Anting. The difference is a syrup or liqueur that is sweet. That rules out Gin. If the Anting Anting is a Gin drink, then why is it on the Rum menu?

The Anting Anting is the key. Figure out what is in it, and then maybe you have a shot at decoding the Ray's Mistake. The difference is likely to be a single ingredient.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 06:22 am   Permalink

The "mistake" might be gin AND something else. Even 2 or 3 other ingredients.
Some people make really big mistakes.
Mine was tasting that turkish delight in the first place.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikichaser

Posted: 2008-02-18 11:57 am   Permalink

OK, here's my recipe... I think it's pretty close tasting from what I remember (months ago). I didn't get any coconut flavor when I tasted the original, so I ruled that out. I remember my drink had a reddish color, so I assumed Grenadine for this, but I added a touch. I still find the recipe below a bit too sweet, so an suggesstions are welcomed. This could also be the result of the homemade syrups I used.

1/2 Oz Lime Juice
1/2 Oz. Pineapple Juice (unsweetened of course) or try OJ or Grapefruit Juice instead if you want.
1/2 Oz. Licor 43 (this gives the vanilla essence that is there + sweetness)
1/4 Oz. Cinnamon Syrup (I make homemade which is not too spicy, so if your syrup is strong, use less)
1/4 Oz. Passion Fruit Syrup (homemade is best, I find the commercial syrups are not tart enough)
1/8 Oz. Grenadine / Pomegranate Syrup (I used Monin Pomegranate Syrup I got at TJ Maxx/HomeGoods)
1 Oz. Lemon Hart Demerara
1 Oz. Gold Jamaican Rum
1/4 Oz. Bombay Sapphire Gin
Dash Angostura Bitters

Coruba float

I would try different rums above, and I will let you know which combos work best.
I like to use botanical syrups instead of simple sugar wherever possible in my own recipes, for more unique flavored drinks.

Let me know what you think.

[ This Message was edited by: tikichaser 2008-02-19 09:41 ]

View Profile of tikichaser Send a personal message to tikichaser      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-18 7:20 pm   Permalink

Hmm.

What's your recipe for Cin. syrup?

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikichaser

Posted: 2008-02-19 09:48 am   Permalink

My recipe for Cinnamon Syrup is right out of Jeff Berry's "Sippin' Safari"
Just take 3 cinnamon sticks and crush them then best you can (I use the cinnamon sticks that are about 3" long). Then boil them with 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar, stirring occasionally. I let this sit overnight to get more cinnamon essence. The commercial syrups I found to be quite strong and overpowering, and making your own is pretty easy.

I still found my recipe for the "mistake" a bit too pineapple-flavored, so I am trying different combinations of juices to see what is best. Maybe drop the pineapple juice to 1/4 OZ. and add Grapefruit Juice 1/4 OZ. to the recipe. This may help counter-balance the sweetness of all the syrups.

View Profile of tikichaser Send a personal message to tikichaser      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-21 07:22 am   Permalink

well after watching Mike Jr. make about 20 of these drinks last night and taking notes this is all I can say.

half a jigger of a creamy color (orgeat color) thing
half a jigger of a reddish purplish color (watered down grape juice color) thingy, this one was thick, he kept on tapping it in order to pour it
half a jigger simple syrup
one jigger white alcohol
splash of soda
Coruba on top

he said there is vanilla flavoring in the drink.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shirow66

Posted: 2009-02-04 2:23 pm   Permalink

After reading through Sippin' Safari and this thread, along with Tiki-Ti's online menu, I feel I have enough clues to give this a shot.
First of all, I live in Sweden and I have never tried any of the drinks I'm about to mention, but I hope someone out there who can visit Tiki-Ti can try it out.

Starting with what hiltiki says above:

half a jigger of a creamy color (orgeat color) thing
half a jigger of a reddish purplish color (watered down grape juice color) thingy, this one was thick, he kept on tapping it in order to pour it
half a jigger simple syrup
one jigger white alcohol
splash of soda
Coruba on top

Looking at the Dr Wong recipe in Sippin' Safari and comparing it to the above, you can notice the similarities. It seems that Tiki-Ti now uses gin instead of rum in their Dr Funk which would result in a recipe looking close to this:

1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
1/2 ounce Tonga mix
1 ounce gin
1 teaspoon herbsaint/pernod
+other possible ingredients

It seems to me that the first three ingredients of the Dr Wong are most certainly included in the Ray's Mistake.

I have no idea how their Dr Funk is in relation to the Anting Anting, obviously there is rum included, and some kind of syrup is involved in order to have been mistaken by Ray. What I do know is that the Ray's Mistake has vanilla flavoring in it. This lead me to Donn's Spices #2, which is a mix of vanilla syrup and pimento liqueur. The pimento liqueur fits into the "botanical liqueurs" description on the drink menu. It seems to me that using a half ounce Donn's Spices #2 would result in a sweeter drink than if the syrup was just regular simple syrup or honey mix, which could explain the Mistake being sweeter than the Anting Anting. Since I have never tasted a drink with pimento dram, I have no idea if in fact it's easily detectable or not so I could be way off on this, but I urge the people who have tasted or can taste Ray's Mistake to try making the following at home, or at least use as a starting point.

1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
1/2 ounce Tonga mix (4 parts Grenadine to 1 part passion fruit juice according to Sippin' Safari, might be more concentrated at Tiki-Ti)
1 ounce gin (possibly light rum)
1/2 ounce Donn's Spices #2 (or possibly another vanilla syrup variant)
splash of soda
Coruba float

Please let me know how it compares.

View Profile of Shirow66 Send a personal message to Shirow66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-02-04 11:12 pm   Permalink

Might be a good drinnk, but it will not be a Ray's Mistake. There is no pimento (allspice) in a Ray's Mistake.

There is also something yellow in there that Hiltiki missed. I think that the red stuff is probably the passion fruit, and Tonga Mix might be right although there is not nearly that much grenadine in a Mistake, if any at all (which I doubt).

But I think you are on the right track. The ingredients that Ray used at Tiki Ti no doubt had the same origins as the ones Don used at the Beachcomber.

[ This Message was edited by: PiPhiRho 2009-02-04 23:16 ]

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 3:59 pm   Permalink

I think I would feel a bit let down should someone actually crack the secret recipe. It has so much more mystique by not knowing exactly what's in it. This whole thing reminds me of the Da Vinci Code / Indiana Jones Last Crusade. Just sayin'.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shirow66

Posted: 2009-02-05 9:48 pm   Permalink

I hear ya jingleheimer, but since I probably won't have a chance to taste the real thing, it would be nice if I could make it at home. I just want to taste it you know? At least I've eliminated allspice now.

View Profile of Shirow66 Send a personal message to Shirow66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 09:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-05 21:48, Shirow66 wrote:
I hear ya jingleheimer, but since I probably won't have a chance to taste the real thing, it would be nice if I could make it at home. I just want to taste it you know? At least I've eliminated allspice now.

Well, maybe one of us can smuggle a mug full into a vacuum-sealed container and ship it overnight
Or we can submit a sample to a lab that does mass spectrometry fingerprinting.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-20 5:05 pm   Permalink

Anyone else think they've come close? "Close enough" would do for me.

Or...what recipes out there do folks find are similar to Ray's Mistake?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-20 7:59 pm   Permalink

Not quiet like the original but a little close. We actually brought a small amount home one night and tried to get as close as we could.
My version I call it

Hiltiki's Mistiki!!! thanks Boris

1 oz OJ
1 oz Lemon juice
1/4 oz vanilla liquor or Liquor 43, I use vanilla liquor
1/2 oz orgeat
1/2 oz vanilla syrup, I used Monin
1/2 oz passion fruit syrup
1/8 oz vanilla extract (optional)
1 oz white rum, I used Bacardi
1 oz dark rum, I used Dark Myers
splash of soda
Coruba

We made a few variation of this and this one was the closest.
The original has a strong vanilla flavor and it is a fairly sweet drink.

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2010-07-20 20:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2010-07-20 20:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2010-07-22 19:29 ]

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-07-20 8:12 pm   Permalink

I prefer the name Hiltiki's Mistiki !!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation