FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki coco joes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
coco joes
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-15 3:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-06 13:59, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Here's an update of all my CocoJoes, HIP, and other lava junk

Polyart

Hey Buzzy, I think this is a cross over piece, marked "Island Arts"... feels like a light wood but is some kind of foam/resin (has tell-tale air bubbles on bottom)

Aloha, Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 2:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-08 05:48, uncle trav wrote:
Some upnorth lava.

Here are some variations of a couple pieces you have:
Different lava beds on each

One marked with a catalog number, one without

The tag:

The top one is much heavier and is made from a mold that has much more overall volume

Clouds above Diamond Head

No clouds

Coconut details

Different shirt pattern

He pulled down his shirt to cover his belly

Markings

One more just for fun:

Two toes, four toes, and no toes

The hair was recarved at some point

All are marked in different places

Thanks for sharing your stuff. Got a few more I'll post later on.
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 3:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-15 15:44, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Hey Buzzy, I think this is a cross over piece, marked "Island Arts"... Aloha, Freddie

Hey Freddie, always nice to see your posts.
Which one do you think "inspired" the other?

Speaking of inspiration...
Here's a few Coco No's I've found(followed by the original sources):

And finally, close ups of the Polyart ashtray:

Aloha
Buzzy Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-04-19 15:18 ]

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 4:57 pm   Permalink

Hey Buzzy. Thanks for the comparisons on the ashtrays. Gotta love this stuff! You got an eye for detail. Keep up the good work!

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 01:45 am   Permalink

Here are a couple more variations of some common Coco Joe's tikis

The more I find and compare some of these pieces, the more I notice that several of them were completely recarved at some point.

Here's are two versions of the Ulani bottle opener #298:

The one on the right is a little larger, and the one I assume to be the older version of the two

The one on the right has a vein detail carved on the top of the head and the one on the left has lines carved in the mouth, as well as one more line detail between the nose and upper lip

The bodies are similar, but completely different when compared detail to detail. I prefer the tool marked look on the one on the right.

Bottom markings:
The one on the left looks newer based on the markings, but it still predates when they started to put the copyright symbol and date on them. This one is as dense as the one on the right. Both are heavier than the plastic feeling ones that came along later. Those are usually marked like the one on the left, but include a copyright date. I think the earliest that I've seen marked with this stamp, copyright, and date is 1978.

Tag:

A few Variations of the Lucky Tiki #107:

The size is the most noticable difference at first glance

A closer look shows more differences than can be attributed to a difference in scale.

The two with the copyrights of 1981 and 1990 are the small ones and feel more plastic in composition than the other two. The one that is marked 107 is the heaviest, and it, along with the blank one, have a ceramic feel to them.

All are stamped on the top, with no real variation other than scale between the two sizes

Tag:

If I made any mistakes , or if any of you all can add some more info, corrections, or conjecture, please, do so.

More later
Buzzy Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-04-19 01:51 ]

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-20 03:32 am   Permalink

Some more Coco Joe variations,

I wonder if this is an obscene gesture in some cultures
Aloha, Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 2:09 pm   Permalink

Freddie: Thanks for playing along. Oh da List! I feel bad for the one guy who got his eyes stolen too. Is there a black market of pilfered eyes out there?

Here are a couple variations of the Lono #109:
I will refer to the one on the right as the larger, heavier, or older version for this post. Once again, there is an obvious recarving of this piece

The easiest way to tell the difference between the two is to look at the detailing on the top of the headress. On the newer version, the details continue all the way up the headress, while it stops at the edge of the eye on the older one

The larger one has more details on the top, as well as more defined features

The larger one has two more holes between the cheeks and headress

Upon close inspection, the bodies are entirely different:

The larger one also has one more triangle detail in the lower part of the headress

Lack of detail on the smaller one:

The bases are different too

The larger one has no date on it. Hey Freddie, you know why there is a ghost image of the logo on this one. Can't grasp how it would have occured...

Copyright of 1980 on this one:

The one with the copyright is still a heavier piece and does not feel plastic. It is still a little larger than others I've had that do not have the gold lettering. Those feel like plastic and are considerably lighter than both versions pictured here. All the details on the plastic ones are the same as the smaller one I posted here. They are the ones I assume to be the newest.
And finally, the tag:

Still more variations to come...
Buzzy Out!

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-04-29 2:59 pm   Permalink

Im in a posting mood today so here is my Coco Joes family

L to R Hapa-Wood Lucky, Lono, Big Lono, Kukailimoku, Goddess of Fertility and Lucky #1.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 05:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-04 02:37, Paipo wrote:
Anyone got this creepy looking fella

He looks kinda Alien doesn't he? Back in the early 90's, the Ka'ai this guy was modeled after just up and walked out of the Bishop Museum. It hasn't been seen since. Many people say the Kai'ai was repatriated and is now resting fine in a cave in Waipio.

So the saying goes "Maui No Ka'oi, Bishop Museum No Ka'ai"

Well there's the Tiki Trivia And here's one of my CCJ's that I haven't seen posted here.

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 11:11 pm   Permalink

Here are a couple HW 137 KUs with very slight differences.

The one on the right is slightly bigger, and the one I will again assume is the oldest

The mouth, chin, and nose detail differences are slight, but show them to be a different master carving source. It's a little easier to see the differences in person than it is in the pictures.

The tag on the older one has a different wording:

The other tag:

Once again, the larger one has no copyright date, and it has a large hand inscribed catalog number on the bottom

Copyright 79 and a smaller catalog number on the newer one:

And finally, a picture from ebay of an even newer version with the green tag, and the same wording as the `second tag above. It has a little darker color too.

There will always be more...
Buzzy Out!

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-24 02:41 am   Permalink

"One more"
Looks like a brass casting, heavy, hollow cast with something rolling around inside.
Top of the head detail. Aloha, Freddie

[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2007-05-24 02:42 ]

TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-25 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

And finally, a picture from ebay of an even newer version with the green tag, and the same wording as the `second tag above. It has a little darker color too.

There will always be more...
Buzzy Out!

These are the guys that are being sold in places like Honolulu Airport and Waikiki, among other locations. The copyright dates are something like 90, but you can tell they're much newer, and as you noticed, Buzzy, they're darker, too. I picked up a few on a trip to Oahu last year.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-28 2:24 pm   Permalink

Hey Josh. Here are four different CCJ's Kanaloas, each representing a different era of production. Based on the markings, size, etc, I believe they are in order from the oldest to the newest, from left to right.

As you can see, they all have slightly different shades.

Buzzy Out!

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 05:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-24 14:09, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Freddie: Thanks for playing along. Oh da List! I feel bad for the one guy who got his eyes stolen too. Is there a black market of pilfered eyes out there?
__I think pilfered eyes are more common then you might think ...
Here are a couple variations of the Lono #109:
I will refer to the one on the right as the larger, heavier, or older version for this post. Once again, there is an obvious recarving of this piece

_Variation,AliiGold#42______________________________________________________________ The easiest way to tell the difference between the two is to look at the detailing on the top of the headress. On the newer version, the details continue all the way up the headress, while it stops at the edge of the eye on the older one

The larger one has more details on the top, as well as more defined features

The larger one has two more holes between the cheeks and headress

Upon close inspection, the bodies are entirely different:

The larger one also has one more triangle detail in the lower part of the headress

Lack of detail on the smaller one:

The bases are different too

Still more variations to come...
Buzzy Out!

Add one to Da List Freddie

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-03 05:33 am   Permalink

A couple of new CCJ's finds

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation