FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki coco joes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
coco joes
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-25 2:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-11 12:56, Paipo wrote:
a HIP design with Coco Joe's branding - quality looks poor.

Here's the picture from that ebay sale:(I hate it when the ebay link disappears)

I think the person was kind of unclear in the description. The big one was called a "Cocojoe with his little sidekick." The big one is exactly like this HIP that I have

The little one is definitely a Coco joes magnet.
I find a lot of people that sell this stuff on the internet do not know if it is a Coco or a HIP. Without a picture of the bottom or having it in your hand, it's hard to tell. Some people just list them as Hawaiian statues or Lava carvings, without mention of manufacturer.

Buzzy

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-11-25 14:53 ]

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Stiki Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-25 2:47 pm   Permalink

I heard you'd been bitten by the coco joe's bug Buzzy, about time you get a hobby!
I have the matching bottle opener I mentioned earlier to your hip, send me your address and it's yours!

View Profile of Stiki Tiki Send a personal message to Stiki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-25 5:07 pm   Permalink

He did say in his description that that both of those were actually stamped "Coco Joe's Hauoli" underneath, so it looks like someone used or bought the brand and applied it to whatever molds they had.

That Kala Nui in the wood look is nice Buzzy - could you transcribe the legend on the back? I wish these guys weren't so expensive to ship so I could buy more - to me they are the coolest of the tiki collectables, because they are tikis in their purest form.

Speaking of Kala Nui, I did treat myself to this the other week:

Anyone seen another like it before? It's a very heavy and quite a bit like dental plaster. I don't think it's an original carving as the surface looks a little soft to have been tooled directly, but the inscription on the base looks to be scratched straight into the plaster, especially the "T49" part. I'm wondering if this is a first-generation casting of an original carving which has then been used to make the master molds. I saw another thread where the guy whose Dad founded HIP posted, so I might try and track him down.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-26 3:20 pm   Permalink

Paipo,

Here is the Wahine I have for you here. Does this look like something you would want?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-26 4:53 pm   Permalink

Not the most comely of wahines, is she G - anyone know the story behind these? I think I could find a space on the lava shelf for her!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-27 6:45 pm   Permalink

That lovely lady is a "fertility" goddess, if my memory of the tag is correct...

Paipo: Here's a photo of the tag that you asked about

The light brown one I have has "1973", where your mold has "T-49", on it.

The black ones have this on the bottom:

T-49

You might have the mold for the black ones...

Buzzy

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-27 9:14 pm   Permalink

Awesome, thanks Buzzy! One of my favourite things about these guys, other than their extreme "tikiness", is the bogus legends that they made up to print on the back. They just add to the appeal.

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-28 03:29 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2006-11-25 17:07, Paipo wrote:
He did say in his description that that both of those were actually stamped "Coco Joe's Hauoli" underneath, so it looks like someone used or bought the brand and applied it to whatever molds they had.

Speaking of Kala Nui, I did treat myself to this the other week:

Anyone seen another like it before? It's a very heavy and quite a bit like dental plaster. I don't think it's an original carving as the surface looks a little soft to have been tooled directly, but the inscription on the base looks to be scratched straight into the plaster, especially the "T49" part. I'm wondering if this is a first-generation casting of an original carving which has then been used to make the master molds. I saw another thread where the guy whose Dad founded HIP posted, so I might try and track him down.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Aloha, Paipo. If I remember right, the person listing that Hip tiki (KALA NUI)also had some Coco Joes Hauoli figures in his other auction, I think that part was a typo...Concerning your new treasure(I bid on it also) this was a factory working model that they used when adding any info on the bottoms. I missed another Hip plaster cast (Hula girl with partially carved back) at the local swapmeet about a month ago, about a week before this one was put up for auction...I think this came from the same vendor at the swapmeet. Aloha,Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-28 11:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-28 03:29, HOUSE OF KU wrote:

Concerning your new treasure(I bid on it also) this was a factory working model that they used when adding any info on the bottoms. I missed another Hip plaster cast (Hula girl with partially carved back) at the local swapmeet about a month ago, about a week before this one was put up for auction...I think this came from the same vendor at the swapmeet. Aloha,Freddie

Thanks for that Freddie - along with what Buzzy posted it explains it pretty well. I guess they cast these from the original mold of the master carving, scratched the number ino the bottom, then made the mold from that for the resins. I think the original carving might have been some sort of wood looking at the textures on my plaster one.
So have you got a pretty good collection of these too? I tried resurrecting the other Coco Joe's/HIP thread to see if the images could be fixed, maybe we could just use this one for general discussion or posting our collections.

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-30 02:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

So have you got a pretty good collection of these too?

Yeah, I got a few....a few hundred...I seem to have a weakness for lava-like figures plus they still seem to pop up at the local collector shows and swap meets.

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 10:57 am   Permalink

I love these Coco Joe's plaques. I have 2. I've seen 5 different ones, either on the internet or in Tiki Quest (still waiting for Amazon to deliver my Book of Tiki so I don't know what's in there). Does anyone know how many different plaques were made? I looked at one of the older threads and I can't see a lot of the pictures from back then. Maybe we can have those pics resurrected?

These are my 2 plaques. I have no idea if these are originals or not.

The plaque with the Hula girls has Coco Joe sticker on the back and tag attached.

The plaque with topless Wahines and fruit basket has Coco Joe sticker but no tag.

[ This Message was edited by: khan_tiki_mon 2006-12-02 11:01 ]

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 12:21 pm   Permalink

I think the plaques are my favourite lava pieces of all. I have these 2:

I think the tiki/wahine one is my #1 favourite tiki object out of just about everything I've ever seen in books or online. The sculpting is superb, with the artist achieving a really good illusion of depth and perspective using only very shallow relief. I'd love to know who designed some of these pieces.
Maybe this could just be the Coco Joe's / HIP thread where people share their collections...I got a reply from boutiki who said he will upload the catalogue (MIA from the old thread) he has again at some point. In the meantime, keep posting stuff...I want more!

khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-03 06:43 am   Permalink

The one plaque posted by Paipo is on page 175 of Tiki Quest - described as "Wahine makes offering to Tiki". I think that one is so cool and is my favorite of all the Coco Joe's plaques I've seen. I started out collecting mugs and I've been branching out. One of those "Wahine/offering/Tiki" plaques came up on e-Bay several months ago. I dropped out of the bidding at $35 and it ended up going for $78 I think. Plus shipping and you're approaching $100. Completely ridiculous I thought. Couple of months later, another one comes up. I said I'll keep my eye on this one. Got busy with a life and when I checked back it had sold for something like $28 or $30. Doh!! I hate it when that happens.

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-03 11:41 am   Permalink

It pays to keep an eye out...I've seen a few of them go for around $35, but I think they're totally worth that. It's a substantial and impressive piece, and it has been featured in 2 books - there is a very atmospheric pic of it in the BoT too (which is where I first saw and coveted it). I'd be interested to know what the label on the back of that one says if anyone has one still intact.

myspace

[ This Message was edited by: Paipo 2006-12-03 11:44 ]

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 8:18 pm   Permalink

These two just went for $98.00 on ebay today...

buzzy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation