FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki coco joes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
coco joes
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-03 03:41 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info, Freddie - I'll check out those repros. Always good to be able to recognize what's new. More than once I've made an amazing vintage ceramic find, only to see the same item two weeks later at Ross.

That sculpt is very cool.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 06:42 am   Permalink

I found this piece the other day. Coco Joe ? or Nogo Joe ? The quality of the cast is really bad and I don't see a mark on it any where. Any ideas? Thanks.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 09:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-05 06:42, uncle trav wrote:
I found this piece the other day. Coco Joe ? or Nogo Joe ? The quality of the cast is really bad and I don't see a mark on it any where. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hola Uncle Trav:

That'd be a Poly Art piece. Here's the lava version of yours and a few other similar pieces:

Most of the Polyart stuff I've seen is unmarked. Occasionally, you'll find one with a sticker on it:

Take care,
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 10:57 am   Permalink

Thanks Buzzy. I knew you would have the answer. Thanks for the help.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 4:03 pm   Permalink

I already posted this in Tiki Finds, but I noticed this piece hadn't been posted here before. My first Coco Joe:

Bigbrotiki says:
"Ooooh, nice one, not too common, I just gave Gecko the catalog that had that in it. Pele in her lava bath, holding the cork ball on which to knock the ashes out of your pipe. Beautiful!"
Which made me feel kind of warm and fuzzy inside

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 6:20 pm   Permalink

I made a couple of nice CCJ finds today:

Menehunes playing uke and reclining:

Tiki boat ashtray/cupholder. This had the 3 sake cups in it when I bought it, but I'm sure that's not what was in it originally. Anybody know what was really supposed to go in it (other than your dead ciggy butts)?

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-17 3:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-07 18:20, MrBaliHai wrote:
I made a couple of nice CCJ finds today:

Menehune playing uke

Anybody know what was really supposed to go in it (other than your dead ciggy butts)?

Here's a variation of your #257: Ipo the Lover Boy

Here they are side by side

This is the one I see most often:

Here's the variation that I almost passed on because I thought I already had it:

He has the same head as #219 He-Haku Ka-Ao: the teller of tales

A flower was added to the side of the head on the Ipo version

Tag :

Bottom:

The Royal Canoe came with jelly:

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-17 4:28 pm   Permalink

Buzzy, thanks for the info. My Ipo figurine is missing the sticker on the back. I'm guessing that the canoe's previous owner finished off the jelly and since he/she was a non-smoker, stuck the sake cups in it instead of using it as an ashtray.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-17 5:23 pm   Permalink

Outstanding work Lava Detective Buzzy! One less question off Da books. That old sales catalog is Tits(TotallyIsTheShit)

BrandoMoai...Awesome ashtray...that ones still on the wish list, mahalo for posting.

Detective Buzzy, More Poly-art babies for your case files...

Those Blue Hawaiian Sculptures were won ebay a few years ago and I'm not sure if the seller tried to clean them with some kind of solvent or citrus based cleaner, because they are still a little tacky to the touch. The bottoms of the pieces are dry and hard. To make matters worse, the seller had wrapped the pair individually in toilet paper first when packing. I was happy to get them, until I unwrapped the box and dug to the bottom to find two mummy looking creatures. I took off the unstuck paper and had to moisten the remainder and use tweesers for most of the balance. Still some left.

Is this the Holy Grail to the Schirman/Poly-Art Cross Over...?

DUUNT DUUNT DUUNNNNN

Freddie

[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2008-04-17 17:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2008-04-17 17:28 ]

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-22 10:32 am   Permalink

Picked up this CcJ's King Kamehameha I for $8 in Hastings, Minnesota last weekend.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-28 7:53 pm   Permalink

I didn't see this in the Coco Joe's cannon so I thought I'd chime in, it's from a paperback touristy book titled All About Hawaii. It sure would make a great full sized poster.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-29 04:23 am   Permalink

Nice picture....This was also the cover from one of their catalogs...Similar background lava was also used for their Poster Girl shot...little seen CCJ nudity

Aloha, Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-29 07:21 am   Permalink

Wow, those water sculptures are great, never heard of THAT concept. Those Hawaiian tourist art makers sure were magicians: They could turn mere plastic into wood or into lava, and now: Water!

Has anyone ever heard anything about the formula they based their Made with Lava claims on, like how many sprinkles of ground lava they added to a vat of molten black plastic to make it "Legends in Lava"...and did they actually ad wood shavings to create "Hapa Wood"?

The text of that magazine art is great, too!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-06-30 4:42 pm   Permalink

Nice one Freddie. Poster girl? Eh? Care to elaborate?

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 04:10 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2008-06-29 07:21, bigbrotiki wrote:

Has anyone ever heard anything about the formula they based their Made with Lava claims on, like how many sprinkles of ground lava they added to a vat of molten black plastic to make it "Legends in Lava"...

Muuwahahahahaa!!Ancient Chinese secret still to be discovered..

and did they actually add wood shavings to create "Hapa Wood"?

BigBro, maybe you can decipher this??? Seems to be a cross between Clintonese and some dialect of Jive or they're smokin some good sh*t....Groovie man...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation