FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Collecting Tiki Ľ Ľ coco joes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
coco joes
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-08 9:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-03 11:41, Paipo wrote:

I'd be interested to know what the label on the back of that one says if anyone has one still intact.

myspace

Jus' ask braddah Paipo!

Kia Ora!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-10 04:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-03 11:41, Paipo wrote:

...there is a very atmospheric pic of it in the BoT too (which is where I first saw and coveted it). I'd be interested to know what the label on the back of that one says if anyone has one still intact.

Thanks, Paipo, for acknowledging my efforts to light that piece interestingly. My experience as a cinematographer came in handy when photographing all the objects for the BOT, and these wall plaques ARE a challenge...not only to light for photography, but also for display: When hung in an area that does not get much light they just turn opaque black. At home, I now have that one lit by a hidden light bulb just below it, so it gets some hard edge light, which brings out the great lava texture of the background and makes one take notice. Unlit, these are just passed over by the eye.
I was a little worried readers would expect the red glow be part of the piece, so I am glad that Tiki Quest shows it in natura, and clears up that possible misconception.

And thanks T.J for posting the label, I had never seen or read it. This IS on of my fave Tiki artifacts, too.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-14 10:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-26 16:53, Paipo wrote:
Not the most comely of wahines, is she G - anyone know the story behind these?

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 4:26 pm   Permalink

Last weekend when we were up in Oregon to celebrate the holidays with my family, I got this great gift from my brother. It's a Coco Joe's letter opener that belonged to my grandmother. She probably got it in Hawaii in either 1977 or 1980 (she was in Hawaii in February 1977, when my brother was born, and again in December 1980, to visit us for Christmas). If anyone can pin down a more accurate date for me, I'd love it. It's got a nice weight to it, and the details are nice & sharp. So is the blade on it -- I think it may have been sharpened by my grandmother. How sharp are the Coco Joe's letter openers, generally?

All the pics of it:
http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/cocojoes/

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 6:38 pm   Permalink

I've got that one too - it came with the three tiki plaque I posted earlier.

Unfortunately part of the label is missing at the bottom, but it does say:
"KU TIKI - Made with lava, Ku, the Ancient Hawaiian God of Achievement makes an ideal gift for office or home. (No. 270)"...followed by the standard "Made in Hawaii with LAVA" and Coco Joe's brand.

Yours does look like it's been sharpened with something, the edges on mine are pretty flat.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 7:24 pm   Permalink

I started collecting Coco Joeís when I was in high school, Friends would go to Hawaii for vacation and I would ask them to bring back a Tiki.

I donít why I removed the tags from the back of my first two, I guess I thought it looked better but I still saved them and looking at them the other day I noticed they have dates printed on the back, which I think, is cool.

Iíve had the Tikiís in a box for about 6 years now and I got them out after reading this thread.

Unfortunately Lono has thrown his back out after being improperly stored for so long and the Lucky Tiki is also a little off balance. Does anyone know how to return these to their original shape? Currently I have the Lono Tiki flat on itís back hoping that might help.

Lono explains to Lucky that his back is screwed up.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-19 01:32 am   Permalink

Lono needs the Cocochiropractor!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-19 02:07 am   Permalink

I've seen a few on ebay that looked like that...weird. I guess they must droop with age! Maybe you could lie him on his back in the oven, on a tray covered with baking paper, and gently heat him?*

*I accept no responsibilty for fumes, fire damage or tiki vengeance.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-19 06:17 am   Permalink

Thanks Paipo,
I've placed it near the heater and I'm hoping that being there through the winter will help.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-19 12:14 pm   Permalink

Some of my best "leaners"

Degenerative disc disease, just like me...

Buzzy

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigkahuna627
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-12-20 04:39 am   Permalink

I cured a 12 inch hip tiki of it lean. Take a large skillet and add 1 inch of water. When the water starts to steam put the tiki in. Let the tiki sit a few minutes, the take him out and place him on a hard flat surface. Push down on him to start to remove the lean, then put him back in the water. This will take several tries, check the tiki using the 90 degree angle formed by a shelf or cabinet. Good luck!

Wild Bill's Tiki Hut
http://stores.ebay.com/Wild-Bills-Tiki-Hut

View Profile of bigkahuna627 Send a personal message to bigkahuna627  Email bigkahuna627 Goto the website of bigkahuna627     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-20 05:41 am   Permalink

Thanks Bay Park Buzzy and Big Kahuna, I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one this has happened to. This weekend Lono could be headed for the frying pan.

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-21 01:09 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2006-12-19 02:07, Paipo wrote:
I've seen a few on ebay that looked like that...weird. I guess they must droop with age! Maybe you could lie him on his back in the oven, on a tray covered with baking paper, and gently heat him?*

Paipo, thats pretty close to what worked for me...Preheat oven to about 210 deg for about 10 mins and place victim...ah, I mean, um, ha ha, tiki on a cookie sheet(back side down) and bake for about 10 min. on the top rack. Increase heat to about 230-240 for another 5-10 min. Time to check firmness of your Tiki Take cookie sheet with Tiki out of the oven and determine which half of the Tiki needs to go down...I squared up the base of the Tiki to the cookie sheet and pushed down the top half of said Tiki...I use a piece of silicon to push the hot Tiki)The Tiki should be slightly soft and springy, wanting to bow if not held down. If not springy, heat a little longer. If you can straighten the Tiki, it's time to place something, (pyrex baking pan) to hold any correction in place until the Tiki cools. Times and temperature may vary depending on the thickness of the piece and resin used. Keep watch when heating , so not to over cook/melt item.

back surgery survivor on rt

HIP Tiki, small, med. and large (14 in)
Hoohoo,first post with picture

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-21 07:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-30 07:31, ookoo lady wrote:
I was in Waikiki last week, and they are selling new Coco Joes items in the ABC stores. The new ones are poorly finished, they look and feel like plastic, are lighter in weight, and the rhinestone eyes are very cheap without any sparkle. You can definitely tell by looking at them, that these are not the same quality as the ones from the 1970's.

I was horrified when I found that the only "new" Coco Joe's figures to be found were horrible knock-offs with cheap (and stinky) paint jobs. They also have plastic jewels crammed into their eyes. I bought a couple, pried out the jewels and re-sculpted the eyes with epoxy putty. I then stripped off the paint and refinished them. My only regret is that in doing so I lost the labels on the backs.

The sculptor who worked for the original CJs was well worth the money they paid him/her. Hey Coco Joe Sculptor! Are you out there on TC somewhere? Show us what you've been up to!

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-21 1:38 pm   Permalink

The above complaints seem quite ironic, considering that Coco Joe's Tikis were always the cheapest, most mass-produced Tiki items out there. But obviously, there is no limit to the loss of quality and devolution in mass consumer culture, it can always go lower!

I was not gonna have any CCJ's/Hip wares in the BOT initially, because A.) They were Hawaiian, not mainland-made, and B.) the stuff was still so readily available when I began my research. But in due time I realized the fact that, apart from their typical Tikis, CCJ's produced a number of very unique and creatively stylized items in the 60s and 70s, and I fell in love with those wall hangings. These now seem like Rembrandts compared to the remakes.

This manly 1975 HIP pen holder is a nice sculpt:

..and, since so many images on the old CCJ's thread are gone now, another of my favorite CoCo Joe's items, the Tiki Pipetray:

Also a nice concept, with good detail, is this Tiki village letter holder (with no company ID markings):

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation