FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My First Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
My First Post
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 06:39 am   Permalink

Heh, that new one looks like my uncle Vinny! Good job on the likeness.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 08:55 am   Permalink

Aloha again Bruddah!
Howzit? you know cuz, the table saw freaks me out too! no margin for error and you always gotta think safety! Especially us carvers because our hands ARE OUR MOST IMPORTANT TOOLS! Its funny, but you know how they always stereotype shop teachers that have missing fingers? I actually had a shop teacher with missing fingers so Im definitely freaked out by spinning sharp metal! I do know the kick back issue too fo'shua brah! I had a skil saw kick back on me one time while the safety just happen to break, embedding the blade around 1-1/2" into my thigh! 17 stitches and a few vicodin later I had to hop right back on da train and keep working with the scary spinning metal! Needless to say, i did junk the skil saw with the broken safety and now Im REALLY, really careful!

Anyway brah, you make me da kine tiki stool for me someday and Ill "hook" you up with a nice miki'oi tiki makau! Keep up the good work bruddah!

Malama Pono!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 4:24 pm   Permalink

Beatiful work Mr. Alldo, Really impressive the amount of talent that pops up on T.C. Its like a magnet for creative cats like yourself.
Plus it pays once in awhile!
Great job.

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alldo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-13 2:29 pm   Permalink

Ben, yep the glue up was no small task. It laid out really bitchen on paper but very time consuming actually doing it. Thanks for the props.

FreddieFree, Your uncle Vinny is one handsome man! Ha Ha

Kaha Ki'i, Sorry to hear about that skill saw accident. That same thing happened to my neighbor a few years back ony the saw went across his chest! He was redoing a friends patio when it happened, passed out a few seconds later and would have died if his friends wife had not come out to bring him some lunch. The scar is nasty! needless to say he doesn't do patios anymore. Sharp spinning metal tools need special attention and the upmost respect.

Mr Dale, Thanks for the compliment.

Starting a new tiki today! Using the same Ash log as the other two that I carved. Will have progress pics and will post a report this weekend. It's a little out of my comfort zone and a little nervous but what the hell eh. Like they said in the movie airplane -Good luck, no pressure, were all counting on you.

View Profile of Alldo Send a personal message to Alldo  Email Alldo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alldo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-16 5:59 pm   Permalink

OK Here is my first attempt at a lono style tiki. I'm using a nice Ash log that Iv'e had for some time. Started carving and realized that the head is Way too big for the body so I had to cut of all the work that I spent hours on. I then drew out one side to make sure it was going to work and I think it will be ok. Worked a little bit on the legs and torso and mouth then called it a day. It is really difficult to carve legs and arms in 3D. Can you guess what the mouth is going to be......That's right a wave. A sick dredging peak that I will mind surf for a long time. Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

View Profile of Alldo Send a personal message to Alldo  Email Alldo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-16 6:11 pm   Permalink

The legs are shaping up really nice. Keep us posted.
Nice detailed sketch on the log.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-16 7:35 pm   Permalink

He is coming together. Body and legs are starting to pop out He is developing into a real fine tiki. Not too much more. Keep up the good work. and keep posting pic's.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alldo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-17 11:50 am   Permalink

Last night I was showing my oldest son my new tiki and he mentioned that I should post the Tiki Car that he (I) carved for the Indian Guides Pinewood Derby. We started out with some great ideas, a chomping mouth with big teeth to eat the other cars, cannons on each side to blow up the other competitors or a big catapult to throw a huge net and smother the others attempts to cross the finish line. These were mostly my sons ideas...mostly. We gave up trying to win with speed and cheating so we thought we would show them some style. We had a blast carving the Tiki Car which was my sons idea. He drew it out and I carved it. He did some sanding and I did the rest. Race day came and we were the hit of the show. We won 1st place for most creative! The trophy and the car sit in my office were they will be treasured forever.

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 11:56 am   Permalink

Now that is awesome. This summer My son and I are planning to do a carving together , he draws I carve.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 11:57 am   Permalink

Man, your stuff is great. I love those bar stools with the glued together 4x4. What a great idea to get around the weight issue. Looks like you got a pretty serious setup going there for carving. Good luck with the big lono. Your stuff looks great. How do you get such clean cuts on everything? Is it the chainsaw? I've never carved with one. Your stool looks perfect. There's even a design on the back, but it doesn't appear to deviate from a good clean circle. Do you just spend mad amounts of time sanding it?

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alldo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-18 12:44 pm   Permalink

Rodeotiki, There is nothing better than designing and carving with your kids. You'll have a blast. Kids have such a great imagination when they color outside of the lines. Have fun and update us with the results.

TikiJosh, Thanks for the props. I mostly use a chainsaw, die grinder, disc sander, chisels and a dremel. I make the first cuts with the chainsaw and then move down the tool list. The bar stool was a cool project but very time consuming. Your right the sanding was a pain. Finish sanding is always a pain all the creative work has been done so it's boring, dusty and smelly. In the future I might try gluing up different woods and carving a tiki that way. I dunno well see.

Hi ho hi ho it's off to carve I go....

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 12:54 pm   Permalink

Hey, Alldo, that Tiki Racer is Way Cool, What a cool project for you and your son. Hats off to ya' for getting him involved in Tiki at an early age. You will Never regret it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 1:01 pm   Permalink

Alldo, very cool with the car. I still have mine that my dad and i made from when i was a cub scout some 25 years ago. i will always cherish it.

keep the pics coming on the lono, he's making great progress.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alldo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-20 4:39 pm   Permalink

Here are some updates on the Alldo Lono.

This project was more difficult than I thought. Getting everything in relative proportions was tricky. I still don't have it the way I want it but I might have to leave it and move forward. The mouth is a wave but looks more like a birds mouth about now. The head dress is something I'm still thinking about. I will work on it more this weekend and should have an update on Monday.

-Alldo

kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 10:09 am   Permalink

Aloha bruddah!
Tiki looking pono brah! Cant wait till da buugah is pau! Its funny about da kine pinewood derby car you made! I was cub scout too, and thanks to my pops and step-father (a design engineer) I won 3 years in a row! But, I cant really take any credit. All I did was tell them what shape & color car I wanted. Then my pops made the body and I took it over to my step-father who used 40 years of engineering experience and weighted the car perfectly, used all kine little tips and tricks to make the car faster than everyones...A bit of an empty win though (all 3 years)...The car was so fast, there was no competition and after the second year I think my fellow cub scouts gave up trying to make da kine car that could win...My step-father went high-tech space age on da kine and even though winning was great, I did feel it was bit unfair to the other scouts who didnt have some kine mechanical genius help build their car!

I do love yours though! It should win just because of the positive mana from the ki'i! Keep up the good work! Ill check this post to see what becomes of your big Tiki!

Malama Pono!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation