FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Restaurant Records!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Restaurant Records!
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-24 5:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting that Sabu. I love any Wayne de Fulton album. He is a classically trained harpist who is not afraid to throw out hit tunes of the day on his records as well as Hawaiian songs too! A great compilation could be made with the following records..................

Notice the different photo used in this album. It's the same record as Sabu's but Wayne looks a few years older! Weird!

This one is one of my favorites and also one of the most elusive Wayne de Fulton records.

Another great record. This one was recorded at the Captain's Galley in the Surfrider Hotel on Waikiki Beach.

This one was recorded at the LaRonde restaurant in Honolulu. It was America's first revolving restaurant. I wonder if it is still there?

Cool Japanese import album on Columbia Records.

Like the first record at the Warehouse, this album was released on Safari Records.

Enjoy,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2007-09-24 18:01 ]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-25 06:09 am   Permalink

Just found this too............

http://www.harpmusic.com/Bio_DF_8003.htm

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-25 2:54 pm   Permalink

Jeff, you're nuts!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-26 4:12 pm   Permalink

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-27 07:11 am   Permalink

Here is a short story on the first revolving restaurant in the world (as mentioned above).

http://hawaiirama.com/2007/04/first-revolving-restaurant-in

Pretty cool!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 12:05 am   Permalink

Unfortunately the LaRonde revolving restaurant no longer revolves, nor is it a restaurant. It's an office building, and where I've gone since 8th grade for orthodontic surgery and, more recently, adult dentistry.

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 3:02 pm   Permalink

Although not a restaurant album, the cover photo was taken in 1958 inside the Don The Beachcomber restaurant in Hollywood, CA.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 4:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-24 17:53, Jeff Central wrote:
... I love any Wayne de Fulton album.

Jeff

Jeff, Holy Sh*t... and I thought I was somebody 'cause I owned ONE Wayne de Fulton LP.... I'm goin' home now with my tail between my legs...

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-09 09:13 am   Permalink

Yeah, I'm a nerd.

I went on a Wayne de Fulton kick for awhile. His stuff is very interesting especially if you like harp music. Robert Maxwell is another favorite of mine that still hasn't seen any proper release on CD except for some tracks on the Ernie Kovacs disc.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-09 09:14 am   Permalink

Thanks for the information regarding that Outriggers album Digitiki. I was unaware that the cover was shot at Don's. Very Cool!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-09 4:43 pm   Permalink

Here's some more visual eye candy..............

That's all for now!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-14 5:48 pm   Permalink

Well, I have gotten really lucky lately(and I have been willing to open my wallet)- picked up these Paul Page titles in the last couple weeks. The Pieces of Eight and Big Island were both sealed. The Reef Is Calling is signed. I have been looking for these for quite a while and all of sudden BAM!

Here is a completely non-tiki "restaurant" record. Classic...

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2007-11-14 17:49 ]

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-16 02:46 am   Permalink

WOW!!!

Great score on the Paul Page records. I have been looking for many years and still have yet to acquire even one!!!

The "Pickin for Pizza" album is great!! Thanks for posting!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

nibblegribitz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-30 9:00 pm   Permalink

That's a mighty fine album you have there.
That's my father, George on that album.
He made it when he was playing at the Hotel Lexington in New York. I think it was mid fifties.

View Profile of nibblegribitz Send a personal message to nibblegribitz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nibblegribitz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-21 11:00 am   Permalink

Hi,
That's my father, George Hines, on the album.
He had the band at the Hotel Lexington for a while in the mid-fifties.
He also had the band at the original Roney Plaza in Miami Beach when they had a Polynesian show and dinner outside in the gardens.
They even built a stage with a large volcano that covered it.
They would open the show with one of the knife dancers blowing a conch shell at the top of the volcano. By the way, Kui Lee (I'll Remember You) was one of the knife dancers.
He later had the show at the Yankee Clipper in Ft. Lauderdale for several years (when it was still MAI KAI) and recorded an album.(my two brothers and I sang harmonies on several of the tracks)
He and I(I got a small portion of his talent) were the first haoles to play there.
We did the show and also played in the Molokai bar.

That album cover looks like it's in excellent condition!!!
How's the vinyl???

View Profile of nibblegribitz Send a personal message to nibblegribitz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation