FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis at Sea World San Diego?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Tikis at Sea World San Diego?
Ruka

Posted: 2006-03-13 2:03 pm   Permalink

Yeah that! Thanks! I have some old footage on one of my tapes that shows a dolphin swiming underwater with that background with a ring and a sign around his rostrum, and I always wondered where in the park that place was.

View Profile of Ruka Send a personal message to Ruka  Email Ruka Goto the website of Ruka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2007-02-13 4:04 pm   Permalink

I came across a blog that's got some cool photos of Hawaiian Punch Village at Sea World. Lots of cool photos: some themepark stuff and a cool shot of a Polynesian building.

hawaiian-punch-village.html" target="_blank">http://mistertoast.blogspot.com/2007/02/hawaiian-punch-village.html

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-21 09:13 am   Permalink

Do any other features remain?

Previously, Twowheelintiki posted that mugs, shirts, soap dispensers etc. it was all in a store by the shipwreck restaurant.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-26 1:43 pm   Permalink

In my travels about tikitown, I came across the current owner of one of the old Sea World tikis:

It's about 6+ feet tall and made from a telephone pole log

It was originally at the edge of the lagoon at the Hawaiian Punch Pavillion

Looks like it used to spit water out of it too

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-26 6:25 pm   Permalink

Considering its historic stature, it seems rather neglected, and forgotten in some corner of the yard.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-18 5:29 pm   Permalink

I recently found an old postcard book that had a great shot of the huge tiki structure that was at the old entrance to Sea World. I had never seen this shot before. There is also a shot of the Hawaiian Punch Village in the background of the dolphin show.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 6:45 pm   Permalink

Holy moly! Why have I never seen this before? Does anyone remember this? Was it really there? It looks ....unreal!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 06:38 am   Permalink

Seriously, Sven?

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 09:02 am   Permalink

Yup, I kid you not. Somehow, that beauty got past me all these years. I might have seen close ups of it, or such badly photographed angles that it never struck me as special. But if it's soaring mightyness would have revealed itself to me earlier like it does in this postcard, I might have tried to squeeze it into the A-frame collage in Tiki Modern.

Good to hear from you, Chris. Now look at all those question marks at the beginning of this thread! So sad....!???
Here's a question from Mr. A-Frame to Mr. Theme Park: Would you know the years of existence of that entrance? As a non-Californian who moved here in the early 80s, would I have had a chance to still see it in person? It sure wasn't shown in "The Big Mouth", I would have caught that. I mean look at the size of that outrigger beam, that alone is as big as a house!

TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 09:53 am   Permalink

Ahoy Sven, the last time I went to Sea World (90-91?) I seem to recall it being there.
I am pretty sure it's in the Big Mouth but the shot is so tight you can't see the over all building. They do a whole bit with Jerry getting chased back and forth from Del Webb’s to Sea World by the assorted goons, it must be in there some place. I have a Sea World brochure that I think was the first one they put out and it shows the A-Frame so it was probably designed by the same architects that came up with all the original (amazing) structures there.

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 09:56 am   Permalink

I don't remember a dolphin show nor a pirate ship being outside the jetty (ocean access).
It was always a water skiing show.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 11:10 am   Permalink

As a cinematographer I am very familiar with the problem of photographing vertical subjects for a horizontal medium. If you try to include the complete vertical subject in the frame, you end up being too wide and showing too much empty space on the sides, so often you cut the top off. The only way to show a structure like this and keep a tight frame would be to pan up, or down along the length of it....but that does not give you the same visual impact. That's why it might not have been shown in its entirety that much, and why I did not take notice of it. The above photo used the name to fill that empty space.
I don't think I ever went to Sea World before my kid was born, in '92.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-23 11:13 ]

TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 2:36 pm   Permalink

Not to cast any judgments on Jerry’s cinematographer or the script but it seemed like the last half (where the scene/s in question were) of the movie became a non-sensical wacky chase scene and I seem to recall him running thru the entry a couple of times. Rent it and take a look it’s a great film.
There was a pond on each side of the A-frame and I can’t seem to recall if it was turtles or swans or what in there but it was all very richly layered.

Unga they had all kinds of dolphin shows and there were dolphin pens just near the bay but there was a fence or some barrier there. While the family was waiting for a show my brother and I went to the pen area, a dolphin tossed sea weed up at us and we threw it back and he tossed it up again, that went on until he/she was on for the show, an amazing kid experience.

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 3:00 pm   Permalink

Turtles were in the pond underneath, I definitely remember trying to toss coins so they would land on their backs. (Poor turtles - but everyone did it).

I don't remember the A frame as much as the turtles, but I'll have to see if my parents have any pictures of it. We used to go a lot during the early 80s.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 9:59 pm   Permalink

A quick Google search found:

Sea World (1966), designed by Victor Gruen
from the AIA Guide To San Diego Architecture (1976)
Mission Bay Park / Photo courtesy of Sea World
http://www.modernsandiego.com/BLOGARCHIVE.html

1964 Sea World opens in Mission Bay Park
http://www.sandiegohistory.org/timeline/timeline3.htm

[ This Message was edited by: TikiPhil 2008-04-23 22:17 ]

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation