FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Safety Thread...Read pg. 3
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Safety Thread...Read pg. 3
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 5:12 pm   Permalink

I'm watching Extreme Hom Makeover right now! right? One of the designers, Ed Sanders, from the UK was hit with a Lancelot! I don't know the extent of the damage, but, it looked harsh!. Be freakin careful with lancelots and "Squires" ( also Shown!)

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-13 07:15 am   Permalink

A quick literature search did not turn up any specifically listed toxicity for either bone or ivory. There were several listed cases of people experiencing asthma and anaphylaxis from exposure to bone dust but these appear to be related to allergies to protein antigens in fresh bone and reaction to residual chemicals used to treat the bones.

In short, treat it like you would treat a hardwood. Wear a dust mask and take steps to reduce the amount of airborne dust.

It is important to note that when working with "fossilized" ivory you run the risk of exposure to whatever mineral the bone has bonded with over the years so there is the potential for some toxicity.

Since wet sanding is often used when working with bone to prevent it from overheating it should be fairly easy to control exposure.

As usual this advice is worth what you paid to get it.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-13 11:08 am   Permalink

IF you noticed, they had REMOVED the safety shield! They had been working with the shiels=dmin place although it was placed incorrectly according to the Mfg instructions. Then thay had a difficult part to do so they thought Removing the shield altogether would cut quicker-- it did but Not where they were expecting!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-14 10:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-13 11:08, Benzart wrote:
IF you noticed, they had REMOVED the safety shield! They had been working with the shiels=dmin place although it was placed incorrectly according to the Mfg instructions. Then thay had a difficult part to do so they thought Removing the shield altogether would cut quicker-- it did but Not where they were expecting!

And thus this bit of wisdom from Loki: "•Don’t take safety guards off and discontinue using tools with broken guards. They are there for a reason. "

If you watch any TV show where they are using things like table saws the guards are usually removed. I often wonder if no one from OSHA watches TV because I could sit around writing citations from the comfort of my couch just by watching Extreme Makeover, While You Were Out, Monster House (although you could argue whether they were "employed" on that show), etc.

Just so everryone doesn't get the wrong idea: no I don't work for OSHA. I do occupational safety for a living so where I am giving you advice as a hobbyist, I get to yell at people at work for the same thing. Although OSHA does not apply to nonoccupational settings, there are some valuable lessons learned that can be used at home. Stuff that can kill you at a jobsite can kill you at home as well.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-14 10:53 am   Permalink

this is very cool. i'm pretty sure we'll be getting one of these in our new shop. make sure and watch the videos.

http://www.sawstop.com/

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-14 1:09 pm   Permalink

We looked at those last year. Kinda pricy. Its also too bad that you have to make contact with the blade in order for it to function. Maybe they could make a saw that slaps you in the head if you take the guard off.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-14 2:01 pm   Permalink

our regular table saw was around $2000 when we boought it. i wouldn't mind spending another grand to get that level of safety. i had a friend cut off half his fingers on a shop smith table saw a couple of years ago and it cost a hell of a lot more than a grand to get it fixed to the point it is. (not very)

then again, it isn't my money.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-23 6:55 pm   Permalink

I just got out of the hospital with pneumonia - apparently caused by walnut dust.

I was occasionally wearing a mask and I even made a dust collection system. The dust collector uses a shop vac. The shop vac is sooo strong that it blows the finer dust particles thru the filter and back into the room. I verified this by

A) changing filters, then
B) putting a clean white t-shirt above the vac exhaust.

This was an eye opener (and a lung closer). I put a router control switch (reostat) on the shop vac to slow it down, and less dust came out, but some still does. Shop vacs are no good for this purpose I think.

But it all comes down to wearing a respirator. I got new filters and as soon as I shake this damned bug, I'm back on it. I'm going to wear the damned thing every time I go into the shop, no matter how uncomfortable or inconvenient.

I am also going to buy a nice dust collector. Not more goofin around - especially with pink fleshy things like lungs.

Consider yourself warned.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 06:38 am   Permalink

Man what a way to learn a lesson, hey Tgap? Pneumonia is a really drastic illness that kills MANY, Many people every day and it is usually caused by the things you breathe into your lungs. We All know better and we Know that we should use the proper protection but we all say "Well maybe next time" or " I'll get around to id, Just not today". Well folks today is the day.
I was pretty sick, but not nearly as bad as TGap, But not far behind. It really opened my eyes. I have three choices; No Carving and live, OR Carving with total protection and Live or carve with No protection and don't live! It's a simple choice since I can't see me giving up carving I'll take choice # 2.
Now, Who's next on the list?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-30 06:28 am   Permalink

Since there seems to be a lot of new faces (or whatever passes for faces on the internet) in here carving up some wood, I thought I would resurrect the old safety thread.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-30 4:47 pm   Permalink

Ok you found me.

Grinders: first thing i did took off guard on 7" and the 5"
I will try them with them on.

Goggles: when sanding they fog up so easy? depends on weather
I use them most of the time. I don't have ski goggles like G was
talking about but there not safety approved.

Sharpening Tools: keeping them sharp is a safety thing. Im open for suggestions here
any links or inside info I'm all ears. I'm having a hard time keeping the V shape
tool sharp at the tip.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-03 08:41 am   Permalink

Hey seeksurf, if you are not producing large pieces when you grind ski goggles would probably work pretty good. Safety glasses and goggles are rated for impact resistance. If you don't need to worry about the impact then just keeping the dust out should be good enough.

Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-03 6:56 pm   Permalink

Check out my pics of how to safely chop off your fingers at the bottom of this page:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26319&forum=18&18
It's really the camera angle as the saw is about 2 feet from my hand at this stage, but i know Bamboo Ben was a lil horrified...
Tiki Trav

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-05 11:04 am   Permalink

Hey, that's why guys like me have a job.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 02:28 am   Permalink

Bump

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation