FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Last Hurrah for the Royal Hawaiian ???
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Last Hurrah for the Royal Hawaiian ???
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 3:11 pm   Permalink

Yes Please,
Let's confirm that the Royal (God Forbid) is closing or remodeling before we make a pilgrimage.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 3:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-20 15:11, Unga Bunga wrote:
Yes Please,
Let's confirm that the Royal (God Forbid) is closing or remodeling before we make a pilgrimage.

That's exactly the line of thought that will ensure its demise. We've got to support these places and keep them thriving! I can't guarantee my schedule will let me be there, but the threat of it closing is the alarm clock/kick in the pants I need to get there, whether the threat is real or not.

Sadly, the threat does sound very real to me -- if you wait for confirmation, it might come in the form of pictures of a post-wrecking ball lot.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 3:30 pm   Permalink

I think I'm gonna cry!! I just went to look up hours and saw the sad news! The Mr and I are going tonight for our 14th anniversary. I think I'll haunt the place every weekend until they close...

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-20 5:24 pm   Permalink

Whether it is closing or not, I say we go anyway and do some OC crawling. 18th is good.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-20 6:27 pm   Permalink

Soccer Tiki and I are heading over to The Royal Hawaiian Tonight!!! Hopefully we will have some information for everyone after we return

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 08:09 am   Permalink

OK. The Mr and I went last night and got to talking with the bar waitress. She said the dude buying it owns...hold on to your sandals...the CHEESECAKE FACTORY! Nice. She said the escrow is 60 days and could still fall out. She also said she doesn't know (no one working there does) about his intentions. However, he can't turn it into a cheesecake place (not enough square footage according to code).
Then I asked her if she had been, you know, kinda eyeing a few of the treasures hanging around. She said for sure, but only eyeing them with longing, as they had no clue what was going on yet.
She stated some crazy people came in a few days ago and told everyone they wanted to purchase a lot of the lamps, pictures, TIKIS! The employees were not too happy about that, "everything's like, 40 years old and would probably go on Ebay for a ton"...I guess they had quite a time getting the people to leave with out any treasures. So I said yeah, you better start watching every one as they leave. Make sure they don't all of a sudden look like a pregnant lady, only with puffer fish spines sticking out of her shirt. Or a dude wearing a really long, bulky coat that clanks.
I mentioned the folks from TC would be coming around to party. She didn't seem to know what that was. But said yeah- come on over and let the (maybe)new owner know how much we like it there.
I say let Mr Cheesey know how much we NEED it to stay just the way it is!
I'll be there again tonight voicing my opinion!
AND, I just had a thought. I have a few friends working for the city of Laguna. One in code enforcement and one in property preservation!! I'll make a few calls today and see if Mr Cheese has been asking about changes.

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-21 09:20 am   Permalink

Sorry I can't fly out and join the Ohana this time 'round.

Would it be appropriate to use TC to circulate a petition to show Mr. Cheesecake just how much it means to people all over the place (i.e. people who patronize his establishments elsewhere)?

Just an out of the box thought.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 1:04 pm   Permalink

This is ridiculous! The Royal H has been a Laguna Beach fixture for years and years. I can't believe that the owners would sell it to the Cheesecake factory! It's not like the place isn't busy any more. I know tons of people that I grew up with in Newport Beach that don't give a f*ck about tiki, but love the Royal H. This just doesn't seem right, especially after they went to the trouble to replace some of the old weathered tikis with new ones a few years back.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 3:55 pm   Permalink

In, 11th or 18th, prefer the long weekend, though.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 4:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-21 08:09, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
OK. The Mr and I went last night and got to talking with the bar waitress. She said the dude buying it owns...hold on to your sandals...the CHEESECAKE FACTORY! Nice. She said the escrow is 60 days and could still fall out. She also said she doesn't know (no one working there does) about his intentions. However, he can't turn it into a cheesecake place (not enough square footage according to code).
. . .
I'll make a few calls today and see if Mr Cheese has been asking about changes.

Please do. The Laguna Beach code states the property is too small for a new restaurant, even though its current use is a restaurant?

Has Mr. Cheesy filed for a variance with the Zoning/Planning dept?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 4:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-20 15:19, Humuhumu wrote:

That's exactly the line of thought that will ensure its demise. We've got to support these places and keep them thriving!

Well said.

Nevertheless, has there been a decrease in revenue at the Royal Hawaiian?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-21 6:27 pm   Permalink

WooHoo and I Spoke with the son of the owner last night. They want to travel. He (Jr) hasn't been to Hawaii since he was 4 (now 48!) After his dad died (the original owner)his mom, he and his sister have been managing the place and not taking any "real" vacations....He says the family loves the place and all the guests, but they're ready to move on. He said he would welcome a group of TCers to come in and use the banquet room anytime.

Now the valet feels things are going to change...If anyone knows who I'm talking about, then you know he has some tikis and artwork in his little garage/cubby hole where he spends his time waiting for cars to pull in. He sold me a couple items last night!

We plan on going back Wednesday (they have some good specials before 7pm!! And for those who haven't been in a while...The food is good!!! Of course the Lapu Lapus are 2nd to none and the drink prices are reasonable!

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 6:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-21 08:09, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
She said the dude buying it owns...hold on to your sandals...the CHEESECAKE FACTORY!

Yikes! These are the same folks that took over and killed Beachbum Burts in Redondo Beach back about 20 years ago...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 8:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-21 18:27, SoccerTiki wrote:
WooHoo and I Spoke with the son of the owner last night. They want to travel. He (Jr) hasn't been to Hawaii since he was 4 (now 48!) After his dad died (the original owner)his mom, he and his sister have been managing the place and not taking any "real" vacations....He says the family loves the place and all the guests, but they're ready to move on.

Why cant they hire a general manager and keep the income?

tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 10:51 pm   Permalink

The probable demise of the venerable Royal Hawaiian shouldn't come as any surprise. The place is sitting on some choice real estate, and with So Cal's obsession with 'redevelopment', it was only a matter of time before some punkass developer bought it for upscale yuppie condos. Or some consortium used eminent domain to take over and tear it down.

Let's hope that there is an outside chance the Royal Hawaiian will be saved. But at the very least, the treasures that it holds will find it's way into the hands of enthusiasts, rather than the local dump.

I just might try to make a jaunt up there tomorrow for a Lapu Lapu!

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation