FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 03:15 am   Permalink

Awesome carves Gap!!! Keep em coming.

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-12 05:28 am   Permalink

Thanks McTiki! I'm moving on to bigger things starting right now. I know I've threatened this before, but I got all my family covered now on the little stuff they wanted. So now the weather's nice and I'm switching gears. We'll see what oozes out of the bottom part of my brain next.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 07:09 am   Permalink

I really like these little guys! Maybe because they're just good, silly fun, but they make me chuckle. I still say there's a market for these!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kapu Kahiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-12 5:20 pm   Permalink

I like the flying one best! You should put him on a ceiling fan, or find another way to terrify kids with him...
By the way, how's that foredom treating you?

View Profile of Kapu Kahiki Send a personal message to Kapu Kahiki  Email Kapu Kahiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-12 5:50 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks everyone! Especially Silverline - your 'props' are very appreciated (pun intended! ).

Kapu - the foredom has let me down. I think I expected too much from it. The rotary part works great, and is really good for fine detail sanding and such. It helped me do the teeth on bat tiki 2. But as far as the Wecheer reciprocating hand piece, I've blown up two of them since I got the device at Coon Tiki.

I'm awaiting the 2nd replacement unit again from Smokey Mountain Woodcarvers (SMW). Those guys are really good - I'll buy all my carving stuff from them, and I recommend them - they are reasonably priced and the service is really good.

They replaced the first weecher in a couple of days. The 2nd one, well, I'm still waiting for it, but they said they sent me a new one just the other day. They were helpful in determining what I was doing wrong with that hand piece: using it to remove too much wood from very hard woods like walnut (of course, my favorite), and cherry.

It doesn't say anywhere in the Wecheer documentation that it should not be used on those woods, and it also doesn't state anywhere that it shouldn't be used for lots of wood removal. The guys at SMW suggest that I just use it for detail on those woods and get an Arbortech heavier-duty power chisel for the heavy work.

That's okay because I love to buy, have, and use tools. But it is getting expensive. I should mention that SMW has replaced the Wecheer under warrantry, and that it has just cost me postage on the 2nd one. I was hoping to get the 2nd back today or this weekend. We'll see.

I started a new carve today - a Moai - about 3 feet high - out of dogwood! It's some scrap log I had layin around, and I wanted to test my skill at chain saw/lancelot carving on it before I ruined a nice piece of walnut. Dogwood - who wudda thunk it. It's actually pretty nice wood! I post a picture tomorrow.

Update

I got a new Wecheer today from SMW... works great!

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:35 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-16 8:08 pm   Permalink

Tiki 11 almost done.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-05-20 00:34 ]

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-20 12:33 am   Permalink

update

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:36 ]

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-23 06:23 am   Permalink

Here is a link to some PNG bats for sale.

http://www.magellantraders.com/new-guinea-figures-fetishes.htm

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-23 07:13 am   Permalink

Thanks for the link JP!

Wow! $125 for those! I better get on it... heh heh!

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-05-23 07:15 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-23 10:08 am   Permalink

Cool Bats, but did you catch the hairy crotch on the Female Ancestor or Spirit

Sorry, I just had to share that.
Tgap, I love your new carving, sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time with the Wecheer. Let me know if I can help.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-23 4:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-23 10:08, Benzart wrote:
Cool Bats, but did you catch the hairy crotch on the Female Ancestor or Spirit

Sorry, I just had to share that.
Tgap, I love your new carving, sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time with the Wecheer. Let me know if I can help.

That's pretty funny, addin' the hair like that! Great style there... (and I thought it was a hula skirt!)...

Ben! Good to hear from you - at least your Water Heater was in the garage! I wonder why it failed after just 4 years!?

I figured out that I can't abuse the Wecheer like I was doing. I got the 2nd replacement and I'm taking it easy, and it works pretty damned well, thanks!

Tiki #11 is coming along - He's "Pool Tiki" now because the Dogwood came from some friends' pool area. He'll probably live down at the pool, if he's allowed.

Here's the latest update photos.

...and a close up of the hairdo and the cracks...

... and a head shot.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:38 ]

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-23 9:03 pm   Permalink

Another update. Pool tiki almost dry:

and Pool Tiki, the outdoors incense burner.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:40 ]

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-23 9:09 pm   Permalink

i LIKE THE HAT!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-23 9:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks Conga. That's about all I can say for it too. I don't like this one. Shouldn't have gold, the eyes are wrong. Too thin, Too long. Crummy wood. Ugh.

Update! I hated it so much, I recut his eyes. It didn't help much.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:41 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-24 04:31 am   Permalink

YES, I see that you have picked up the Finer uses for the Wecheer. The Recip carver is the ONLY tool that will allow detail like that. VERY Well Done! ILikeee

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation