FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-15 6:27 pm   Permalink

Tiki # 4 rough out. This one is for a guy I know that just built a 'regular' bar in his basement (I tried to convince him to make a tiki bar, but he wasn't interested). He got a pool table to put down there, and he's follically challenged (bald). So I thought I would make him a little tiki whether he wants one or not, to put in the bar somewhere. The tiki is bald, holding a que stick, and has 2 pool balls for his hind end. I thought of making the tiki have 8 balls, but the wood wasn't big enuf

This time it's made of pretty good wood (red oak I think), but it has that bad gash down the face. I hope it stays together enough to give it to the guy when I'm done, so he can use it for firewood or something. Still learning - got better wood this time, and much better tools (got some new flex cuts and a hook knife!).

I'm calling him ELFTiki (the receiver's initials are 'ELF').

I guess it's a little more than roughed out, but there's obviously a lot of work to go. I was thinking about imbedding red leds in his eyes, and running a wire through him to a 9 volt battery and switch setup. Any suggestions would be very welcome...

Pictures are gone, sorry. I dumped verizon and they dumped my pictures.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2009-10-27 15:10 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-21 7:51 pm   Permalink

Another update. The receiver has had some serious back surgery, so I added a copper plate back there. If you look closely, you can see some hair I put on him... it doesn't show well with the light here.

see
http://mysite.verizon.net/gapearce/tiki4.htm for progess pictures, thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-09-27 19:41 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tfisherart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 01:03 am   Permalink

Gap, PT wood is a a pain in more ways than one. Hard as hell and toxic. Check out some lumber supply stores for large cedar or redwood posts, they have a natural resistance to bugs, weather etc. along w/a sealer and good top coats should last for yrars and easier to carve.

http://www.thomsart.com

View Profile of tfisherart Send a personal message to tfisherart  Email tfisherart Goto the website of tfisherart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 04:45 am   Permalink

Tikigap, I'd say you are making steady progress. Like someone said earlier, you have a good "Artistic" eye. The rest will follow with knowledge of tools and how you use them.
This guy shows a lot of imagination, I Love it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-22 07:28 am   Permalink

Thom - thanks for the advice - I initially used PT as a 'test' because I had it laying around... then out popped a couple of carvings! (If you call them that...). So I kept at it. But nevermore!

Benzart - thanks for looking - I can't tell you how much your guidance and encouragement means to me (and I'm sure all else in this forum). I just can't wait for coontiki to come around! I'm very much looking forward to meeting you and I hope some of your talent-dust rubs off on me!

Thanks again everyone... my next tiki will be a real log - no more lumber.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-02-27 06:55 ]

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-23 9:57 pm   Permalink

see http://mysite.verizon.net/gapearce/tiki4.htm for progess pictures, thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-09-27 19:42 ]

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 05:52 am   Permalink

Those eyes in the dark sockets just make the piece. The back hardware was a nice personal touch.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-24 07:25 am   Permalink

Thanks JP - I got the eyes from flashingblinkylights.com - these are the 'flashing rings'. They change colors and are pretty cool - and cheap. I cut the ring part off. I had to buy 25 though - so I have 23 left!

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-26 3:56 pm   Permalink

He's done. Except for the base - he falls over too easily. I'm making a base now out of some curly maple - it's beautiful wood...

see
http://mysite.verizon.net/gapearce/tiki4.htm for progess pictures, thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-09-27 19:42 ]

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-26 4:03 pm   Permalink

Tikigap,

Nice job on that. Are the eyes different colors? One of the pics looked like they were different. Cool idea and a nice clean job. Assemble that bad boy and use what you learned to make your next one even better. Post pics of him all together, if you can.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-26 5:13 pm   Permalink

Hey GMAN! Thanks for lookin'!

The eyes 'rotate' colors - red, green, blue. They have a watch battery behind 'em. They are random in their color selection. Sometimes it seems that if you turn 'em both on at the same time, then they are in synch. This may be an artifact from my youth, however.

I just put him together (couldnt wait!), so here it is:

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 07:45 ]

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-26 5:32 pm   Permalink

Tikigap,

That is so freaking kool! Man, I want one! I bet those eyes are great in a darkish room. Your friend is very lucky - He's getting a Tikigap original - one of the first available. It's gonna be worth big bucks one day!

I'll check back here often. I hope your next project is as cool or cooler. Whattaya have in mind?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-26 6:16 pm   Permalink

The wahini says "don't paint the letters", so that's that.

GMAN. Thanks. I really appreciate it.

This one's in the bag!

Somebody asked how long I've been carving...CONFESSION: I picked up carving because I need something to do with my hands since I quit smokin' 74 days ago.

What do I have in mind? I'm now in research mode, until I go to Coon Tiki and learn how to really carve. That's in April. (READ: I'm outta wood).

Then I'll go up to the farm and get a bunch of dead-and-down black walnut, I hope.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-03-02 09:33 ]

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-26 6:35 pm   Permalink

Hey Tikigap...this guy knocks me out...i laugh everytime i look at the eyes...and i like laughing.
great design....it could be the alcohol and the fact that i'm home alone...but i dig that tiki.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-26 6:49 pm   Permalink

Hey - Thanks Conga!

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-02-27 06:57 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation