FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-06 8:49 pm   Permalink

Great work TikiGap! Pineapple tiki just continued to change and evolve, really sweeet. A nice finish!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-07 06:34 am   Permalink

Thanks a lot KingsTieDye and TravelingJones! That log did evolve a lot, almost into a nice piece of firewood. I almost killed that guy a couple of times, out of frustration. He's also the most blood-sucking piece I've worked on to date.

Thanks again!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-22 12:53 am   Permalink

So... I got a commission. It's walnut from the farm, of course. I'm callin' it Geeky Tiki. It is going to an electronics lab for a sales promotion, hence the antenna inlay in the headress (my first attempt at inlay).

Nice log:

Attempt at inlay with deer bone and abalone. (Thanks Ben!)
The hook knife got me!

He's holdin' the company logo:

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-10-22 01:30 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-22 08:48 am   Permalink

Gap! Awesome art there. Your getting better and better, Yes, the hook will get you. Be careful!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-22 1:02 pm   Permalink

You have to remember NOT to put any Skin in the forward path of the hook, or it WILL Get you. The tikis are Always looking for a bite and when they see the chance, they Take it. Your Tiki looks Excellent too, Very traditional with a spot of T-Gap thrown in!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-23 3:35 pm   Permalink

The inlay is a great addition to a wonderful tiki. How did you get the object he is holding so round?

When you bind and gag the tikis (like in the photo below) do they still bite when you carve them?

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-23 3:53 pm   Permalink

Nice work Gapper...also very impressed with the round globe. Have a mai tai on me!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IsleConch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-23 6:03 pm   Permalink

OH Noooo... another runaway Tiki. The Tikis need blood as part of the ritual, then they will let you have your way with them...but keep him bound.

...Castaway on the Isle of Life...

View Profile of IsleConch Send a personal message to IsleConch  Email IsleConch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-23 6:11 pm   Permalink

McTiki: Thanks for the props! But "art" might be too strong of a term, I'd say. This is number 14 - it's takin' a while, and I can tell there's still a long way to go.

Benzart: Damned! I know, I know... It kind of happened strangely tho... it sliced me just enuf for a few drops of blood. In fact, I didn't know I was cut until I saw the drop of blood on his eye. Thanks a lot for the props and havin' a look...

JohnnyP and IsleConch: He bit me because that big bastard wasn't tied down tight enuf (just kiddin'! see above). He's one heavy mother too. That ball is fairly round because I bought some more tools! I splurged last week and bought of couple of these bad boys:

They're great for carving round things. Indispensible, I should say. I got the big "V" tool too (not pictured).

Conga:! Good to hear from you, too! Thanks for the kind comments!

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-10-23 18:48 ]

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-23 6:42 pm   Permalink

Here's a close-up of the globe with some more inlay. I used black coral for the letters (Thanks BenZ!). After a lot more sanding, that black stuff should come up really nice.

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-28 07:11 am   Permalink

Here's Tiki 14 (AKA Geeky Tiki), completed, as the centerpiece at the customer's Luau yesterday. Believe it or not, I actually sold this one!

It's walnut, as usual, about 23 inches tall.

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-28 1:04 pm   Permalink

Nice tiki! Great job on the coral inlay, that looks like it was tough to do.
For some reason, that pic of him tied to your workmate with the strap through his mouth reminds me of "Silence of the Lambs".

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-28 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-28 13:04, Paipo wrote:
For some reason, that pic of him tied to your workmate with the strap through his mouth reminds me of "Silence of the Lambs".

Tama sez: Now if you put a carved ball in his mouth before strapping down, you would have something out of 'Pulp Fiction'...

Nice work & well done on selling him. Clears the way for the next piece... Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-28 8:59 pm   Permalink

TGap, Way to go, using the black coral so soon and well done too! The tiki laaok great and the globe really adds to the whole deal.Very very nice.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-30 05:10 am   Permalink

Thanks Paipo, TTT and BenZ! The pulp fiction reference is just too damned funny! Still LOL!

Special thanks to Ben for the coral, too. That stuff is actually easier to work with than the bone I tried first, and especially on a rounded surface. It polishes up really nicely, too... It looked pretty good up close, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks again!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation