FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 8:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-23 18:11, tikigap wrote:
That ball is fairly round because I bought some more tools! I splurged last week and bought of couple of these bad boys:

They're great for carving round things. Indispensible, I should say. I got the big "V" tool too (not pictured).

I got those same gouges and love them. Good choice. The front one and the V tool are what I use about 80% of the time. I use that rear one for quick removal when it's too late to hit the piece with the chainsaw. One of the best buys I've made so far.
Buzzy

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 8:38 pm   Permalink

Wow! first attempt at inlay?!--looks real nice. I wanna try that soon, pleeease tell me it's easy!

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-30 9:29 pm   Permalink

Hey Buzzy! Thanks! Yeah - I think these chisels will get a lot of attention from me. I really like the big "V". Can't beat the FlexCuts. They certainly rock.

And hey Surf-n-turf! Good to see ya! The inlay was actually easier than I thought. A really sharp X-Acto knife is a good tool. (I used a hook knife too, tho).

You draw the design, lay the material on it - (in this case it was Abalone and bone), then trace it. The bone and abalone stuff really stinks though - You must use a mask... it's really nasty smelling. Smells like the dentist drilling your teeth.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-12-17 14:18 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-12 10:40 pm   Permalink

I got Pooltiki back for Winterization. I scrubbed him down with steel wool and re-coated him with polyurethane... a couple of times.

And then I had a Black Magic... mai kai style, I think.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-11-12 22:45 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 04:22 am   Permalink

TGap, Nice Moai, you are really catching on Fire. keep the momentum going, start another tiki today!
Nice work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-14 9:52 pm   Permalink

Is there something other than a PIG in this log?

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 01:34 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tamapoutini 2006-11-15 01:37 ]

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 01:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-14 21:52, tikigap wrote:
Is there something other than a PIG in this log?

**Ok, seeing as Im the first one here, Ill say it...

A PIGHAMMER..??!!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 04:35 am   Permalink

Definitely GET Out the PIGHAMMER for this log. Certainly cries "PIG", but be mindful od the wood in the Head space, there may be a lot missing, so rough that part out first.
Oink Oink Oink (thats pig for:'Oh No Not the PigHammer"!)

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 08:19 am   Permalink

OK apologies to all female members of this forum but...
TIKI PRIESTESS with a kinda SAGGY RACK--good chance to break the dominance of MALE tiki idols with a truly EVIL woman tiki carving--just stand it with the BOOBS facing you--you'll see--big LONO type head too?

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 1:41 pm   Permalink

What a cool log. I'm interested to see the pig develop.

I was at the Field Museum in Chicago and I found this in the Oceanic Art section and thought of your carvings.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 2:25 pm   Permalink

COOL!

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-15 6:10 pm   Permalink

Hi JohnnyP!

Quote:

On 2006-11-15 13:41, JohnnyP wrote:
I was at the Field Museum in Chicago and I found this in the Oceanic Art section and thought of your carvings.

Man! Thanks! That's is really something! I never knew bats were so honored in the PNG culture. I'm gonna have to make a few more of mine soon. Thanks so much for posting this! I can't wait to show this to the wahine... I'm totally amazed by this and the other references in this thread on pages 9-10. Thanks again!

Pighammer? Did someone say PIGHAMMER?

Here's a PiggyBackHammer:

HA! He's got stones in his head! And thanks BB Moondog for the suggestions - I stood 'er up and took a frontal shot:

Thanks for looking, and especially thanks for the PNG style bat ephemera. WAY cool!

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-22 8:19 pm   Permalink

SOOOOOuuuuuIIIEEEEEE Pig pig pig pig!!!
SOOOOOOuuuuuIIIIIEEEEEE Pig pig pig pig!!!
(That was my award winning hog call)

Speaking of hogs, how's that pig coming?

That apple was too funny....

Buzzy

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-30 12:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks Buzzy -

The pig is moving along, allbeit slowly. I ruined my Lancelot from a rock hidden in there, which slowed me down even more. I'm using old dull chisels on it now until I'm sure there are no more rocks. I'll post a picure or two in the next couple of days - when I figure out how to use my new camera.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation