FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-30 7:08 pm   Permalink

Progress report: Taken last night...

OUCH!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-05 7:31 pm   Permalink

Update... gettin' more defined. Used a lancelot a lot.

There's so many rocks in this guy.
Thanks for looking!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-05 8:24 pm   Permalink

Mmmmm....!!!!

I smell a Luau!!

Cool pig!

Now you have to carve the lava rocks and banana leaves

to cook the sucka in!

Arrrsome!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-05 8:53 pm   Permalink

Hickory?-or mesquite? What kinda sauce ya gonna finish it with?

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-05 9:53 pm   Permalink

Hey Boo, SnT, and the rest of you guys!

Thanks for the comps, and for checkin...

That wood is walnut, and it is the stump.

Here's the idea so far: The Pig is the root, and his neck, well, is the trunk of the tree. It could be a drum! I really like the JohnnyP Slit Gong so I was thinkin' about trying that - with a pig head at one end. JohnnyP - you da man! Got any suggestions? How do you clean out the inside? Not with the chainsaw, really?

I get to go to the Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale on Friday after watching (Hopefully) the shuttle Launch from the Cape...

Jet Pilot or Zombie? Jet Pilot or Zombie? Jet Pilot or Zombie? Jet Pilot or Zombie? No Brainer!

Who will meet me in the Molokai Lounge then?

We're coming from Virginia! That's more than 1000 miles away.

It's a 50th BD party roadtrip for Mundog! Happy birthday MUNDOG! Who's gonna show up?

Mahalo!

TGAP

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-12-19 12:02 ]

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-05 9:56 pm   Permalink

Hey SnT I forgot!

The finish will prolly be Tung Oil. Slippery pigs - can't beat it

Oh it's late, I dunno.

Thanks again tho!

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-05 9:58 pm   Permalink

heh, it's a fun carving. keep it up.

oink!

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wplugger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 05:31 am   Permalink

T.
I live 1 mile from the Maikai. After your kind words the least I could do is make that happy hour. I could show you some of my stuff , I have a hand full of tikis hanging there.
Will

[ This Message was edited by: wplugger 2006-12-06 17:50 ]

View Profile of wplugger Send a personal message to wplugger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 10:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-05 21:53, tikigap wrote:

It could be a drum! .... How do you clean out the inside? Not with the chainsaw, really?

Nice little Piggy, When you stand it upright it could be Miss Piggy.

Yup, I clean out the insides with a chainsaw, really. It takes a long time. Start with a shallow cut where you want the opening, then a deeper cut strait in, then one angled to each side following the same initial cut. Go slow and carefully, you have to pay attention to both the tip and the entire length of the blade so you don't widen the opening any more than you have to. Keep working on removing material. Constantly check the depth by using the bar as a depth gage so you don't cut through. You don't need a real real thin wall to get a drum sound, just take as much of the wall out next to the opening as you can reach with the saw without widening the opening. You only have to hollow out to 2/3 to 3/4 the diameter of the log, so don't try to get too close to the other side. You will notice after you get your first deep cut the log will start to resonate, as you continue to hollow you will hear some neat sounds as you work it. Test the sound every once in while with a thick stick or mallet.

This will be good! Then you will need a Pighammer to pound it.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-12 10:31 am   Permalink

Hey Will - it was nice to meet you last weekend - especially at the Mai Kai! Thanks for the tour and introductions to Kern, etc. Your '53 is awesome!

In the Mai Kai parking lot:

Quote:

On 2006-12-06 10:54, JohnnyP wrote:
This will be good! Then you will need a Pighammer to pound it.
JP

Thanks JP! It makes perfect sense - Thanks for the pointers! I'm going to try to cut it out this weekend... (gotta do it outside in the daylight). Again, your guidance is appreciated very much!

wplugger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 04:27 am   Permalink

Hay, You guys were a blast, nice meet'n ya'll. Thanks for the barrel of rum or 2. look me up next time your down.
Will

View Profile of wplugger Send a personal message to wplugger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 05:00 am   Permalink

Nice looking Pig TGap. Gives meaning to "makin Backon" and 'Bringin home the BAckon". I can smell the bacon from here. Little pineapple, bananna leaf and some rice and you got it. While you have all that, just add some cheer and have a Luau.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 08:54 am   Permalink

Hey thanks you guys! We had a great trip down to Florida - I'm still bummed that I missed the shuttle launch though. But I did get a really nice palm log (Thanks Benz!):

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-14 8:42 pm   Permalink

Progress tonight...

That pig is a slit gong too now...

I'm new at chainsaw carving, so the slit is too large, but it really sounds cool as I chop his insides out. I can "tune" it... It has a whole scale of tones to it. (Just like JohnnyP said! Thanks for the education and encouragement!). It's walnut, so it's hard wood, and as I clean off the sap wood from the outside, I can easily judge depth without chopping thru.

This is fun!

Here's a link to a Quicktime movie of beatin the pig:
http://forbiddencityexpress.com/tiki15_gong.mov

Thanks for lookin'!

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-12-19 12:04 ]

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 04:46 am   Permalink

If that gets to lookin' anymore like a pig I'm gonna need to come up there and stick him. You let me know if he starts getting nasty and I'll be there to give him his medicine!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation