FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 05:57 am   Permalink

Lookin Good Gap and sounds great too. You are gonna have to learn to beat thet pig about 4 times faster than your current speed though. I'm sure you'll get up to speed and then you'll be lookin for another place to stay!.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 07:48 am   Permalink

GMan! Thanks for the help when I'll need it - it's gonna be soon.

BenZ - damn! I have no musical ability whatsover, so it's gonna be a while before I get thown out!

I will have more progress today I hope... I think I smell ham for Christmas!

Thanks for the props you guys!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 3:31 pm   Permalink

The drum looks great. I'm glad you gave it a shot. Every time you walk by you'll be banging on it.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 3:39 pm   Permalink

TGap, you had better Not let GMAN near your PigDrum, He will whip out his pocket knife and have it skinned and filleted before you know it.
Got the DVD today Thanks. Haven't seen it yet tho.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 5:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-16 15:31, JohnnyP wrote:
The drum looks great. I'm glad you gave it a shot. Every time you walk by you'll be banging on it.

JP

Hey thanks for lookin at it JP - it's outta control... next one (and there will be one), will be very different now that I'm starting to see what's going on. First of all the slot will be much smaller.
I can get a backhoe in there now!

Thanks for the warning BenZ! I take GMAN seriously! No, Seriously!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 8:59 pm   Permalink

I worked a little on the pig tonight (hollowing out his head - so if you beat on it with a pighammer, it will make a good sound (Not an ugly sound ).

Anyway, I digress. I also set up some stone carving stuff and here's the roughout for another bat tiki:

Lots of sanding to go! There's some discussion of this in the Stoned Carvers's thread too.

I don't know what kind of stone it is. It came from a counter top at the US Government.
If anyone knows what this is, please advise!

And ALL and ANY criticism is ALWAYS expected and welcome Please!

G'nite!

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-12-16 21:08 ]

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-17 01:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-16 20:59, tikigap wrote:

Hey Tikigap - thanks for the invite to criticise (Im assuming you mean constructively ) but nothing but encouragement from me, heehee.
I havent looked for a while & what do you know?; the pigs gone & turned into a slit-drum! Cool idea.

Have you thought about a mount for it? You could make a 'spit' for him to hang on when not in use (or as a base for when in use?) Too late for an apple in his mouth..? Just a thought.

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-17 1:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-17 01:01, Tamapoutini wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-12-16 20:59, tikigap wrote:

Hey Tikigap - thanks for the invite to criticise (Im assuming you mean constructively ) but nothing but encouragement from me, heehee.
I havent looked for a while & what do you know?; the pigs gone & turned into a slit-drum! Cool idea.

Have you thought about a mount for it? You could make a 'spit' for him to hang on when not in use (or as a base for when in use?) Too late for an apple in his mouth..? Just a thought.

Tama

Thanks T! Yeah, only constructive criticism!

About the mount - on a spit would be pretty slick! I haven't given it any thought until now... Thanks again!

I learned another lesson today - don't stop sanding in a particular grit too soon, to jump ahead to some finer grit. I did that with this stone bat and this is what I got. I wasted a few hours last night because of impatience.

He's got a hole drilled thru him, with a toothpick holding the fishing line in there for now. I hung him to adjust his pitch, yaw, and CG. When finished I'll put in a nice wire or string or something else. Any suggestions? It could be a base with a pin mount, too. But he probably should hang most of the time; not be static on a bookshelf somewhere.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-17 2:56 pm   Permalink

TGap, Your bat looks Really cool coming outnof the Shadows there. Excellent forst try, you Really got the look and Feel of the Bat.

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-17 4:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-17 13:38, tikigap wrote:

I learned another lesson today - don't stop sanding in a particular grit too soon, to jump ahead to some finer grit.

A very good lesson & one that every stone carvers must learn by experience. It can be tempting to think 'oh, that big scratch will come out if I just keep going a bit further/longer': 9 times out of 10, you'd be better to back a stage & get it out with a heavier paper. Sometimes they're damnedly hard to see until youve moved on a grade too. Sux eh?

There is a product locally known as 'diamond cloth' (but possibly called something else in manufacturers terms?) available in strips or as continuous belts. This stuff acts as an intermediate step between carving with diamond coated tools & sanding with wet-dry/carborundum paper. A bit too course to be called an 'ever-lasting' sandpaper & a soft version of diamond cutting tools. It comes in many grades, right up to really fine 12,000 grit or something silly.
Its not cheap but is a must-have really. You can use it by hand or loaded onto revolving drums or burrs ( I usually take jade through 400 & 800 grit after shaping is finished).

Possibly something to look out for if you plan to do more stone work - which I encourage!

*The back-forthness of personal & the stone carving thread is a bit of a bugger, eh? I dont know, use it how you will...

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-17 4:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-17 14:56, Benzart wrote:
TGap, Your bat looks Really cool coming out of the Shadows there. Excellent first try, you Really got the look and Feel of the Bat.

Thanks for the kind words Ben - Do you recognize the bamboo log behind it? Thanks again!

And 3T! Thanks for the info! Diamond Cloth huh? I'll look into that for sure. This info should go on the stone carving thread, so I'll get it over there too. Yeah, it's kinda a bugger. I'll try to keep the learning/teaching of stone processes over there, and I'll keep progress pics here - maybe that'll work best.
I'll just have to deal with it! The general Stone Q&A thread is too important.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-12-19 12:08 ]

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-31 12:05 pm   Permalink

Damn! I have a totally padded floor in my shop - except for one little spot. I dropped the stone bat today - right on that spot.

Maybe 2007 will be better. NOT!

foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-31 12:15 pm   Permalink

Bummer TG. Works like that sometimes, don't it? I was enjoying the thread and that nifty little bat. Maybe it's fixable? One of these folks will surely know.

[ This Message was edited by: foamy 2006-12-31 12:18 ]

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-31 12:24 pm   Permalink

Aack!

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-31 12:30 pm   Permalink

How come that never happens only an hour or so into the piece?
My condolences...
Buzzy

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation