FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-31 1:16 pm   Permalink

Damn,,Murphy's law strikes again! Sorry to see that after all that work. Chalk it up to more lessons and cover that one Spot!.

Just a note to add to the sanding thingy. Same as sharpening cuisels, if you move on to the higher grits before the tool is sharp enough, all you will be doing is Polishing a dull tool, or in the case of sanding, you will be polishing those scratches. I think we ALL have done it. How many times have any of you finished a piece and put the first coat of varnish or whatever on and had those ugly scratches show up like a sore thumb.
On to the Next bat before you go Batty.
I was very familiar with that Bamboo piece, my pleasure!.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-31 6:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-31 12:05, tikigap wrote:
Damn! I have a totally padded floor in my shop - except for one little spot. I dropped the stone bat today - right on that spot.

Maybe 2007 will be better. NOT!

Oh, sorry TG, happened to me last week, Painful, my condolences....

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-31 10:24 pm   Permalink

Gap, sorry 'bout your bat but at least it wasn't you that fell and got broken! I broke something that way once after waiting weeks for it to arrive from Japan. Since then I always open my packages ON THE CARPETED FLOOR. BEtter luck on the next piece. Your friend 8FT

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-01 4:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the condolences, everyone.

Benz - so correct - I now know that lesseon all too well - on to the next bat!
Queen K - sorry to hear about your recent loss too. I guess I should prepare for more of those.
Buzzy and Foamy - I does just go that way sometimes - I'll keep tellin' myself that!

Thanks again!

Greg

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-01 5:35 pm   Permalink

D'oh... That was a super cool bat.. So sorry to hear that happened..

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 3:21 pm   Permalink

There has been too many broken carvings in the last couple weeks. What did we do, which tiki god did we offend?

Sorry about that, It looks like you had a ton of time into it.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 11:08 am   Permalink

Thanks Capn & Johnny - I actually epoxied the bat back together - and packed it away with the xmas tree ornaments. I don't have a picture before the breakage, but he polished up pretty nicely.

I was just getting ready to put some shell eyes in and a couple of microscopic bone fangs in his mouth when I dropped him.

But now, it's time to move on, I guess. Maybe next xmas I'll stick the decorations on him. Thanks for the comments and consolations.

Bat Tiki Lives!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 12:33 pm   Permalink

Ka-Pow! Ooof! Splat! Crash!

Sorry to hear of the breakage Batman... Glad he will have his ressurection next Xmas. Chalk it up to experience (not that there's much to be learned from dropping a piece, Im sure you were already aware that it is an unadvisable action) & welcome to the Butter-fingers Club.

(I have TWO layers of carpet directly under my workbench; hard won experience!)

Chin up, there are plenty of more rocks out there! Hope this doesnt discourage.

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 1:28 pm   Permalink

thanks TTT -

Naw - hasn't discouraged me. I just covered up the bare spot on the floor with lots of padding - maybe it's less likely to happen again. Maybe we should all be doing this stuff in a padded cell (READ: Looney Bin)

Glad to be a member of the club (I think!?).

Thanks again!

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 08:19 am   Permalink

Now don't laugh too much!

I'm playin around with this serpentine stone and watching Tama closely.
I got the rough out... now the hard part -
sanding...
sanding...
and more sanding...

Jade it aint. But it's free! (Not that I'd waste jade on my stuff yet)

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2007-01-05 08:24 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 08:24 am   Permalink

tG, this is nothing to laff about. Smile maybe, HappyHappyHappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 09:03 am   Permalink

Your new piece is looking good. Sorry to read about the bat. You are now a member of a very large club. The "I Dropped It And It Broke, Waah!" club.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 12:20 pm   Permalink

Nice one Tgap.

I admire your adventuresness in tackling these smaller projects; most newbie-stoners tend to work very large/heavy to begin with & 'lighten up' as confidence is gained. You seem to have an instintive feel for what a stone/design can handle (when undropped of course!)

Im holding my breath for you - lets see this one safely finished!

Rock on! Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 8:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks a lot you guys - and Thanks especially to Tama for guidance. This is fun stuff!

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 8:03 pm   Permalink

Hei Tiki done...finally!

My own observations on the first attempt at one of these:
I learned that this kind of guy should be hung from the arm. Well I didn't realize that at first, so he's top heavy. He's short because of a bad choice of stone stock. I'm surprised it came out as ok as it did... next one will be with better stone.

Criticism welcome...

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2007-01-09 20:17 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation