FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 5:42 pm   Permalink

So where are the pics of this wood hog that my guys were modeling for?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 6:39 pm   Permalink

GMAN! Funny you should ask

I've been distracted from carving for some time now, but tonight, I got my pendant from Paipo and got inspired to try to finish the pig. I've hit a serious obstacle however, as illustrated in the accompanying photos.

I roughed out the eyes tonight. The eye on the left (His right eye) has a huge hole in it that could not be avoided. It's a root ball afterall, so there's holes all over it.

After measuring GMAN's real pigs, I found the proportionate place to put the eyes, and one ended up
there.

Maybe you guys can help me out here. Should I leave it alone, and what the hell? Or should I jam a chip of walnut in there with some glue to fill it in, or should I drill both out and put some inlay in there, or what?

I suck at most things carving, and inlay is right at the top of that list, so I'm skeptical of any chance for success.

Me and the pig are all ears.

And thanks for the models and the inquiry GMAN. May the saw be with you.

gap

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 7:02 pm   Permalink

PIGHAMMA!

Looks like dinner!

Nice!

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 8:01 pm   Permalink

It looks like to me that the eye is winking. I kinda like it as it is. Maybe you wanna just leave it?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wplugger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 04:26 am   Permalink

GAP, Roll wit it. It's perfect

View Profile of wplugger Send a personal message to wplugger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 04:54 am   Permalink

I say keep going with it as is. We all have to deal with imperfections in wood - it's one of the things that makes each piece special. Very nice! Is he hollow yet?

-Gman

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 05:15 am   Permalink

Thanks for the direction Will and GMan...

Yes, it's hollowed out. It could go a little more too. I'll show a pic of the inside later today. It's sounding pretty good!

Thanks for looking and helpin with that decision.

gap

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 06:44 am   Permalink

TG,

Leave enough wall thickness so you can outline some folded legs on there if you want. I'll send you some pics of crocs done this way. I'll send them when I get home. This is a super cool projects man! Nice job!

-G

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 06:56 am   Permalink

Thanks GMAN - yeah! I'd like to see those croc pics - sounds cool!

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 6:55 pm   Permalink

The pig is coming along great. Keep going, you are following the right road.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 6:58 pm   Permalink

JohnnyP....shoot him some pics of croc drums with legs carved into the sides. I bet he could make real nice ones that look like the hog is laying down.

-G

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-27 7:29 pm   Permalink

I've gotten so far behind. It's been a while.

The pig is almost done. Here's a couple of pics:

Problem is the pig eyes are killin me.

The drumsticks fit up inside him...

The drumsticks (made of Lilac from my back yard):

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2007-03-27 19:33 ]

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-27 7:31 pm   Permalink

What a great idea Tikigap. I missed the part about the piggie being a drum.
Great concept and the beaters do look like pigs feet...pickle them!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-27 7:32 pm   Permalink

Oink Oink, Sqeeeeel!

-Gman

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-27 7:37 pm   Permalink

Suuuuuu Eeee!

Conga - Thanks man! Coon Tiki looks good donut!

and GMan... the eyes! I still am havin problems with that - any more pictures you have would be appreciated! (no need to hunt a couple down though! - Thanks on that one!)

I'm gonna lube him up with tung oil this weekend eyes or not. I gotta get 'er done.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2007-03-27 19:38 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation