FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-13 8:54 pm   Permalink

Spearman - Done!

Now for the palm tree - this one's a hard carve! The hardest to date because of all the detail and undercut.

Early:

Top:

Bottom:

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:20 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 09:01 am   Permalink

Tikigap, the Spearman came out Really Nice. Tyhe palm looks like it is really gonna be a challenge, but I'll bet you can do it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 1:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the props Ben - I don't know what to make of the tree. I hope it comes out ok... not very tiki, but I needed a place to put paddle man and spear man - on an island, with sand, under a palm tree. It'll go on the wahini's desk at work when completed.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 1:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-22 22:21, hewey wrote:
Thats a great lookin tiki, especially for a second carving - sweet. Haha, you got the bug bad, it only deepens from hereon in. Welcome to the rabbit hole Alice...

(How'd I miss this post before?)

It really is looking more and more like a rabbit hole! thanks Hewey!

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-03-14 13:52 ]

PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 2:22 pm   Permalink

will spearman be fending off a raging boar while paddle man paddles away in a canoe?

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-14 3:59 pm   Permalink

i love the spearman. I would have left the chisel marks in with a light sand. keep up the good wook.

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 5:17 pm   Permalink

That will be a nice display. Be sure to post picts when you are done. I still think you should do a whole series of petroglyphs.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 5:28 pm   Permalink

That spearman is terrific! I love the way the wood is colored differently as you move down in the piece. Nice work.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 7:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks you guys!

Pocky - I'll have to make a canoe too... hmmm.

Marcus - thanks for the comments - I thought about that, and actually did leave them on the top of the spear, but that doesn't show in the pics...

JohnnyP - Thanks for the compliements - and I will certainly post the finished pictures. There's a lot of petroglyphs - way more than I could do (unless I make that my specialty and ONLY make those for a while! (Which is very possible!)).

FinkDaddy - Thanks for noticing! It just worked out that way because it was the biggest piece I could get out of a small walnut log that wasn't checked. The lighness comes from the outer wood (sap layer?) of the walnut. I gotta locate some more of that kind of walnut - it's great to work with, too.

Here's a pic of a lot of petroglyphs I took last December at Kileauea:

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:21 ]

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 7:56 pm   Permalink

Here's my latest update:

Not done yet! There will be an island, and sandy beach. Then I'm done until Coon Tiki - I wanna make a big lono...

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:22 ]

foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 05:20 am   Permalink

Hey TG, first time I perused this thread. What a cool thing(s) you've got going on. Beach, palm tree and figures— a carved vingette. Now that's some original thinking! I'm liking it. How ya gonna do the beach?

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 06:45 am   Permalink

Thanks Foamy -

I'm thinkin' a little wooden island and glue some real sand onto it, and stick the tree out of the middle... any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 08:09 am   Permalink

maybe instead of real sand you could use sand paper.

keep up the good work, it looks great.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 6:53 pm   Permalink

Here's the palm tree, starting to be finished with Sanding Sealer. Could I have used Tung Oil?

The little dudes are standing by for protection. I have a piece of walnut, apple, curly maple, cherry, pine and oak. Any suggestions on which I should use for the island?

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:23 ]

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 6:58 pm   Permalink

My Mom turned 79 tonight. She always wanted a tiki bar of her own, so my brother and I made one for her. Here's the link to some pictures of it:

http://mysite.verizon.net/gapearce/traderviv.htm

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-09-29 20:33 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation