FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 09:14 am   Permalink

Thanks Ben! (and everyone else!)

Yeah! The hook knife RULES! I'm really likin' that thang. Thanks for showing me (us) how to use it!

It's walnut. I tung oiled it last night... gonna buff it a little and reapply some more tung to it, then I should have 'er licked. I'll repost the final pics tonight.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DarkTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-18 11:13 am   Permalink

Nice work Tikigap, I love the "BatTiki", I was wondering if you would like to make a couple for "Tiki's and Terrors II" Aug 26th 2006

View Profile of DarkTiki Send a personal message to DarkTiki  Email DarkTiki Goto the website of DarkTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 11:24 am   Permalink

That little batiki is so cute!
Great idea.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-18 4:21 pm   Permalink

Yeah Swanky I tourched my mask. But then it's an ancient tradition to burn your mask after the ceremony is over. Maybe that's why a tornado almost took you guys out! You pissed off the gods.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 6:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-17 20:59, pdrake wrote:
i like. you should make him smaller also for pendants. what a cool idea.

Thanks for the props PDrake - small ones would be pretty cool - I'll try one and see what happens.

Thanks to TikiWahini and DarkTiki too... maybe I could crank out a couple more!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 06:01 am   Permalink

I went to the farm this weekend to get some wood. The "Log Weight Calculator" estimates that this oak weighs 441 pounds. It is 17 inches in diameter at one end, and 18 inches at the other, and it is 4 feet long:

The walnut below was dead and down, and not yet rotted. It's small, but very nice:

I also have the root ball for this walnut tree, but no pictures of it yet. I'm going to clean it off tonight and we'll see what I get.

Now I can get started on some big stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:39 ]

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 06:26 am   Permalink

Bat Tiki = verrry coool. Nice nice job!

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 08:08 am   Permalink

Man, I would be Batty myself If I were there in Log Heaven. I'm SO Jealous for all that wood I just can't see straight I just Don't know what to say!!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 09:40 am   Permalink

Thanks McTiki!

Hey! Bring up a truck Ben - we'll load ya up!

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 10:57 am   Permalink

Great score on the logs, I'd love to try a piece of walnut. The bat tiki is growing on me. The fire pit looks like a fun spot to spend weekend nights in the summer.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 1:26 pm   Permalink

That bat tiki is a very clever and cool idea, very cool.

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 3:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the cudos Bete and JohnnyP! Battiki's growing on me too. I like it better each day - I was very critical/skeptical at first. That fire pit has burned a hell of a lot of walnut, I'm sorry to report. That won't ever happen again, at least not with me around.

My son and I pressure washed the walnut this afternoon and got the bugs and bark off it - and it looks great. Here's the stump, full of cool detail. It's pretty gnarly (sp) in there.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:40 ]

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 8:26 pm   Permalink

A couple of other things I worked on this past weekend. I'm roughing out a moai from a beautiful piece of cherry and I started whittlin' this walnut club about 10 years ago up at the farm, and last weekend I picked it up and added a happy face to the handle. I still don't know what to make of it yet. I might add a few more faces around it on each side (3 sides) - one neutral disposition, and the other angry.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:44 ]

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 9:00 pm   Permalink

Tikigap,

Your picture of that big oak log by the campfire conjures up a nice carving mood. There's nothing like carving outdoors and that looks like the perfect spot to do it. Great hanging with & the boys at C-T. Enjoy all of that free wood - it looks like you're ready to carve up a storm!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-25 7:35 pm   Permalink

Yo AA! Thanks!

Good to hear from ya again... Tennessee was great! I'm still blown away by it - How did I get to hang with the major carvers? Man...

The Farm is a cool place... the fire pit has lots of good karma (except for the burned walnut!). Let me know when you're in town.

gap

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation