FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 11:46 am   Permalink

Beautiful job on the moai!!!! really nice finish as well.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 9:16 pm   Permalink

Not too shabby at all, Harro! I knew you would be producing tikis from the moment you started posting here in "Creating". Most excellent Moai!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-25 01:21 am   Permalink

Harro awesome 1st tiki did you have fun keep em coming

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 01:31 am   Permalink

Wow, I love the finish too! That's a downright elegant tiki.

tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 05:11 am   Permalink

marcus, palama, tikivixen: thanks again guys - i had heaps of fun carving, unfortunately just can't find enough time to feed the habit!

also had plenty of 'stalemate' moments where it was a stare-off between me and the log. that is, me staring at it going 'what do i do next, and how do i do it?', and it just staring back blankly... eventually it told me...

BK: i've admired your exquisite pieces alot and the how-to's as well (and also the funny pics of yourself you include in your threads!) - its truly awesome to receive such nice comps from you. And ofcourse it's pine (duh!) - i just have no botanical bone in my body.

AA: I re-read all your threads many times when i was stumped and it helped me get through (especially the stain/finish one) - thanks for your kind words and great posts.

pdrake: it's the big Arbortech carving disc i used, not the mini-grinder. it would have taken forever with the mini! looks like there is too many things that could go wrong with the mini-grinder (belt etc), that's why i went with the big disc, and i thoroughly recommend it.

i have another pine log like this that will get started on tomorrow (depending on extent of Oz day celebrations!), hopefully i can post progress pics this time.

to all in Australia (or those that wish they were): Happy Australia Day! It's beer, cricket, thongs, beer, snags on the barbie and some more beer for the holiday tomorrow!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 06:37 am   Permalink

hello again all out there in TC land,

the recent spate of fantastic pics from you carvers (and in particular the event of a lifetime coon-tiki) has inspired me to hurriedly finish my 2nd tiki before i jet off to Rapa Nui, Tahiti and South america this coming weekend.

i'm sorry i don't have time to put comments in each of your threads but let me assure you i get inspired and gobsmacked each time i get a chance to have a peek at the great carvings being done by you guys.

This 2nd tiki was from a similar log to the first and i hardly spent anywhere near the amount of time as the first. I just wanted to knock something out as quickly as possible, in a totally different (and easier!) style to the first.

cheers, harro.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 08:40 am   Permalink

Harro, Excellent first and second Tikis. The second is great for a quickie and could be Double great by taking more time and going deeper. Maybe the next one if time permits.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 12:24 pm   Permalink

Harro, I really like the contrast of the deep black with the light wood. Did you use a torch? I'll have to give that a try some day.

A-A

(PS - good to see you back - I've been on a bit of a hiatus myself)

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 01:54 am   Permalink

thanks ben and AA - next time i'll have to dig a bit deeper with those tools...

yeah AA it's just a propane torch - it's a bit too easy... turns a pretty average tiki into just an average tiki almost instantly!

Off to Tahiti and Easter Island TOMORROW!!! yee-har!!!

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 07:35 am   Permalink

Go DEEP!

Cool tiki man!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-28 6:19 pm   Permalink

Hey Harro - wow that is great work - how tall is it? - pictures are deceiving - in some he looks enormous!
Good to see the progress shots - shows the real work that has gone into the final piece. Are you going down to Wintersun this year - if you do drop by and say hi - I will be in front of 20th Century doing some carving.

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-21 06:10 am   Permalink

aloha guys,

unfortunately i haven't done any more carving since coming back from South america and Easter Island, but i've been flat out putting a new album together with my band Wiseacre (not really tiki related at all!). BUT the album launch is going to be a huge tiki beach party!!

Marcus from Tiki Beat will be displaying his fine chisel work in the flesh at "Night of the Tiki Terrors" in Brisbane on Sat July 8.

I've posted all about it in the Events page:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19980&forum=4&0

cheers,
harro.

harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-27 07:29 am   Permalink

well this isn't really tiki #3 but just a quick stage prop that i made for my band's tiki themed cd launch. I managed to get some big blocks of styrofoam and just started hacking away at it with some handsaws, a butter knife and a small surform. Unfortunately i hadn't read the thread posted on here recently giving some good advice on carving moai's in foam, so i learned the hard way. after a few hours the shape was done and i sprayed it with a 'fake stone' type spraypaint (after an undercoat) - i seriously underestimated the amount of paint needed though - 3 cans of spray at $23 a pop each!! and i'm still getting the white dandruff out of my clothes too!

it's about 5ft tall i guess.

its funny this tiki even made it home after the gig - at one stage throughout the night someone nabbed it from it's perch overlooking the crowd and tossed it to the masses, therefore creating the funniest thing i've seen in a long time - a CROWDSURFING moai!!! i was expecting it to end up in tiny foam pieces on the floor, but it held strong and only lost a few chunks of 'stone'!

i'll be posting pics of the "Night of the Tiki Terrors" on the events page soon.

thanks for looking.

harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-27 08:14 am   Permalink

the pics from the night are in the Events thread at:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19980&forum=4&6

cheers!

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-27 3:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-21 06:10, harro wrote:
aloha guys,

unfortunately i haven't done any more carving since coming back from South america and Easter Island....

Please tell me you'll be posting some story and pics on your trip!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation