FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-27 8:34 pm   Permalink

Nice moai man! Now make a full scale one! - the Easter Island trip was to conduct primary field work wasnt it?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-28 01:19 am   Permalink

paipo i have many photos and stories from Rapa Nui that i will *hopefully* get around to posting on here soon...

and yes hewey i now have stacks of inspiration for carvings - but i just gotta find the time!?!

thanks for your comments - harro.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-28 12:39 pm   Permalink

hey haro good work. i really like that one. the belly on it is cool.
keep it up

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 02:48 am   Permalink

hey paipo, i've posted a bit of a blurb about my trip to Rapa nui, and some photots at http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20792&forum=16&hilite=my%20trip%20to%20rapa

and i've finally started another carving, but have only just stripped the bark and starting to get it ready for chiselling - hopefully i can get it done before Christmas!!! (not likely given my pace!!)

cheers,
harro.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 06:33 am   Permalink

Yeah, I vote for a Full sized one now. Was the foam very messy to work with? Did your neighbors mind? Excellent job..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 05:58 am   Permalink

hi ben,

yes i have another big block of foam the same size which i am thinking of doing just a massive big Moai head out of... but the mess is certainly something i'm not looking foward to!! (nor the neighbours - hahaha)

but i'm going to do a real log again first. but this log is a lot harder than the others i've worked on and it is proving hard to shape even with the Arbortech!

will keep plugging away though...

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 04:13 am   Permalink

Keep at it man! Go bug Marcus when you need some tips hahaha

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 10:47 am   Permalink

Well I'm kind of based in one spot for a little while and have missed carving a lot while I've been traveling, so I brought some tools back over here from Australia and have finally started attacking some wood.

It has been quite a challenge for me trying to get everything you need just to start carving. I'm a foreigner in a big city (Buenos Aires), can hardly speak the language, don't know any other carvers, and its pretty difficult to explain what it is that I'm actually doing (carving what? tiki? what's that??). Luckily there is another TC'er Clarita who lives here and has helped me out with sharpening my chisels and is the only person I've met here who understands tiki!

So after finding some hardware shops to buy some more gear, the biggest obstacle was finding some wood to carve. The northern and southern provinces of Argentina are blessed with an abundance of natural trees and beautiful wood (something I've been taunted by each time I've traveled there), but here in the big city it's another story altogether. I finally found a little sawmill just out of town and took some offcuts from them (but only what I could be capable of carrying back on a crowded bus).

As it turns out the wood I got was Quebracho, one of the hardest woods around and apparently around 200 years old for a piece less than 6inches in diameter! But I didn't learn that until after I had started (I just thought my tools were a bit dull or that I was weak and out of practice!). Afterwards I talked to a wood carver at a open air market and he couldn't believe I was trying to carve Quebracho. Anyway I currently don't have any other wood so I am going to try to persevere with this piece I have already started.

It is a beautiful, heavy and hard wood this stuff. When freshly cut it is pure yellow in color, but after some days exposed to the air it turns a deep shade of red. Anyone know anything else about it?

Here's where i stuffed up and broke off the back of one of his feet, so that changed the tack of the carve a bit:

And here's a couple of pics showing the workspace I have in our tiny apartment in downtown Buenos Aires:

What a view!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 11:21 am   Permalink

Wow Harro, Thanks for the trip, I have enjoyed every day of your voyage to far off lands with ending here in Buenos Aries. Your Apartment looks neat, any more pictures? Great that you hooked up with Clarita, Lucky man. Your carving looks like fun too and I think the sawmill guys saw the Gringo coming and hooked you up with a Beautiful difficult piece of wood. You should take it back to them when you are finished and ask them for some HARD Woods this time, no more soft junk like this!
I really enjoyed our trip through Easter Island, Thanks!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-19 12:19 pm   Permalink

Tang's looking good so far- especially dealing with such hard wood! That reddish color will make for a perfect finish.. Pretty cool how that happens so quickly.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-19 8:27 pm   Permalink

Wooo! Glad to have you back making some woodchips mate Looking good so far

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-21 08:03 am   Permalink

Can't wait for the next pix 'cause by now it looks very good.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-26 08:01 am   Permalink

It's amazing all you manage to do in Quebracho, being the hardest wood ever, you say you are not so good for carving, but I'm starting to really doubt that !

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-26 12:07 pm   Permalink

Hi Harro, Just wondering how your piece is coming along? I like the way you put your space and tools together. Not easy to do in a foreign land. Looking forward to your free time.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 12:02 am   Permalink

Good to see you carving no matter where you are. Seeing this reminded me of carving a tiki or two with a similar view.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Diablo 2008-01-27 00:04 ]

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation