FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 12:01 pm   Permalink

Thanks for stopping in guys... I need the inspiration every now and again as a number of times I've contemplated throwing this thing in the fire (especially after spending hours re-honing and sharpening my chisels only to have them chipped again after 5 min working on this tough wood). Anyway, have decided to power on and finish it and then try some other wood pieces that Clarita found for me.

Not much progress, mainly just trying to fix up/cover up previous mistakes! My first attempt at symmetry in 3D and its damn hard!!

PS: Diablo that looks like the back of the kiosko/bar that is right outside our bedroom window...

Cheers,
Harro.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 4:28 pm   Permalink

I feel ya on the 3d, and the fix up/cover-up! Totally 3d is really hard to do. Everytime I try something I gain another ton of respect for the carvers here. This one looks pretty good from where I sit.

R.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 8:24 pm   Permalink

That Quebracho wood looks to be really hard stuff and difficult to work. Don't throw it in the fire though! At least get the face carved so you can look in his eyes when you tell him his fate.

Looking good!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 9:42 pm   Permalink

He is coming along nice!
Give him some eyes so he can put
his 3rd leg in the peg.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 10:33 pm   Permalink

Looking nice Make sure you take it back to that carver and show him how you went with that wood!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-29 08:57 am   Permalink

Very good Harro !
3 D is a hard thing but your Tang will be great for sure.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TaneMahuta

Posted: 2008-01-30 5:09 pm   Permalink

Wow! your tikis are cool!!!!
too bad your australian

View Profile of TaneMahuta Send a personal message to TaneMahuta  Email TaneMahuta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-30 11:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

PS: Diablo that looks like the back of the kiosko/bar that is right outside our bedroom window...

Cheers,
Harro.

Funny I saw your pic and it reminded me of my view (when I looked up) I had when i carved 2 tangs in the back of a bar in Barcelona. buena suerte amigo!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-03 6:17 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks Hewey, Benjamin, Diablo, Robin, Bowana, Seek, Tane ( ) ... my hatred of giving up (along with you guys' support) has buoyed me to plough on!!

And also to Ben for your earlier comment and continued support and inspiration around here - we've been missing ya these past days!! No point showing any more pics of our place here as the balcony and the view of the huge ugly wall are the highlights . And even with the doors shut I still manage to get sawdust all through the place after a few hours making noise and having fun with the tools... lucky my other half doesn't mind too much... or maybe it is because she knows this tiki is for her birthday coming up soon??

Here's some progress shots. It's amazing what a pair of eyes can do!! Took me a while to get that wonkyness out of the body though... I suppose the plus side of this hard wood is that it has held the detail of the eyes fairly well. Having trouble cleaning out the deep corners though - just don't have the right tools (of course I blame tools ).

Still got a ways to go yet - and my sander didn't survive the journey in my backpack so its hand-sanding all the way....

cheers amigos and keep up all your great work - it's inspiring me!
harro.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-03 7:17 pm   Permalink

Oh good! He didn't end up as firewood! Nice clean lines and symmetry. This one's got to be a keeper now! Interesting how quebracho changes color when exposed to air. It must be because of the buenos aires in Argentina, huh? What will you stain it with?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-03 11:53 pm   Permalink

He's alive now, thanks to his eyes and his mouth you carved very well.
Hand sanding you said ? Good luck

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 12:27 am   Permalink

Man, that is a sweet carve Harro. This guy wouldn't look out of place in Rarotonga. I love all the little cracks through the head....this guy is gonna look ancient once you put a stain on him!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 01:34 am   Permalink

Sweeeeeeet

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 05:50 am   Permalink

Thanks guys!!

Bowana and Paipo, you bring up a topic that I've been deliberating over for the last few days - what to do with the stain!?!?

As you can see from the pics on pg 3, he will eventually get a nice red "suntan" from the buenos aires here (good one Bowana !) - if I leave him untouched for a while. See this first chunk I took out when I first started:

Here's a pic of that chunk now, a couple of months later, next to the tang and on top of other pieces of quebracho whose ends have darkened:

I love the natural red, but I would like some darker shades in the corners and deep cut areas. Should I stain him now while he is fresh and yellow, or wait until he has gone all dark and then apply the stain? Does stain act like a varnish in that it protects the wood from ageing? In that case I would have to wait... I also have no idea what kind of stains and varnishes they sell here, that's going to be an interesting journey of lost translations!!

Would love to hear your thoughts. Yes Paipo I'd love to get the ancient look to him.

cheers.

Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 06:25 am   Permalink

Bravo Harro! his looking great, you are going to make marcela very happy whit him !

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation